Why don't Americans travel

simple answer.......too many convicted felons, which if you are one in teh US, you can't leave the US. i don't think it's a lack of those that want but more a lack of those that can.

I know an American convicted felon who travels between the U.S. and Cambodia on a regular basis.

I know an American convicted felon who travels between the U.S. and Cambodia on a regular basis.
gets caught for pedophilia
serves time in the us
goes back to cambodia
serves time in the us
goes back to cambodia
serves time in the us
goes back to cambodia

it is, but the only women you'll meet there that don't smell like wet athletic socks are tourists.

what a silly name for a thread of course america travels... next stop is iran... then we're coming straight up through europe for you you limey bastards ;)

buzzy said:
NZ can't be that bad can it? I thought it was a nice place. :p

It is, but we are filled with a wanderlust and natural curiosity that leads us to wander the world, meeting people and having adventures =D. And it's usually temporary or medium term ('cept for those of us who meet furrigners and marry 'em, like my friend who's compensating for your absence from your home county by breeding lots of good English babies there ;)).

Plus, that women-and-athletic-socks thing is kinda true :(. 'Tis why we turn to teh sheep :(

and since drugs are so outrageously expensive there its not cheap to make them attractive huh? ;)

serves time in the us
goes back to cambodia
serves time in the us
goes back to cambodia
serves time in the us
goes back to cambodia

LMAO!

Actually, it was for methamphetamine distribution in the U.S.

Its alot more expensive for us. I was shocked with how cheap traveling around Europe was once I got there. I was told it was cheap, but I didn't really comprehend it till I experienced it.

Also keep in mind how large the North America is. The regional differences are pretty large and interesting as well. I always find it fun to be in places where their is a mix of all of us. You get to see just how similar and different we are. As for backpacking culture, more Americans are likely to do it after they graduate college. We don't have gap years, though I believe we should.

I've been to most of the states, canada for a bit and England, Germany, Italy, Ireland and Hungary. Next up is Asia for me (not sure when)

I actually just returned from a two week tour through Europe. Out of 51 people on the bus, about 60% were Americans. We travel quite a bit, but mainly stay in the North and Central America region. To travel overseas, it is terribly expensive, probably a minimum of $1500 per week. And depending on what you are looking for in a travel destination, typically you kind find it in the states. We have similar terrain, weather, nightlife, etc in some part of our country as the rest of the world. The only thing we truly miss are the ancient history/architecture.

Rollin_to_Oakenfold said:
To travel overseas, it is terribly expensive, probably a minimum of $1500 per week.

Depends where you go - I spent 3 months in India and spent less than $1500 US total (OK, plus airfares). Sure, I was travelling budget, but it can be done :) [Package tours will tend to be a lot more expensive...]

And depending on what you are looking for in a travel destination, typically you kind find it in the states. We have similar terrain, weather, nightlife, etc in some part of our country as the rest of the world. The only thing we truly miss are the ancient history/architecture.

Well, and the different cultures. I certainly agree that if you are travelling for terrain/the outdoors, you can find nearly anything you want without leaving the USA :). If you want to see old buildings or different cultures, though...that's another story. You're not going to see a Papal mass in St Peter's Square, or the burning ghats of Varanasi, or a Rangers-Celtic football match, anywhere in the USA :)

[Must stop posting in this thread. Could someone haXor my account so I can't? ;)]

americans dont travel becuasd jerry lee lewis is the devil, jesus was an architec previous to his career as a phrophet,americans find them selves in love with the world abut theres was only one thing they can do. Ding-a-ding dang there Dang along ling long

panic_in_paradise said:
because gas is too expensive.
hahaha
i don't travel overseas because im poor! :) I didn't realize only 10% of americans travel overseas- It seems like ALOT of people I know have and do- Glad to know Im not the only one. I think (at least the places I have looked into going) its really expensive.

^ do not laugh at me again.

your relatives were probably poor too, but they made it over seas some how...

americans dont travel becuasd jerry lee lewis is the devil, jesus was an architec previous to his career as a phrophet,americans find them selves in love with the world abut theres was only one thing they can do. Ding-a-ding dang there Dang along ling long

whoa, I had that song stuck in my head all day today..... dang a lang long, my dong a long ling long

ministry is the shit

^^^^ministry sure is the shit, jesus built my hotrod is such an aswome song.

oh and americans dotn travel cuase they cant stand going though extreme security. im not takign my shoes of for anyone god damm it.....so many cavity searches.

theres no such thing as terroism it was just a scheme to boost security in airports, so security staff could do more cavity searches. its one of the greatest conspiracys in the modern world

as an american i can say, quite proudly, that i've travelled to several other countries, been treated great in all of them, and met and had a great time with many locals.

however, since i graduated college and have been saddled with massive debt it doesn't seem like i can make it to conneticut in the near future, let alone a country hundreds or even thousands of miles away.

i work for my family business and i still only get a week of vacation a year, and this year i was supposed to go to the dominican republic with a couple of the other guys, but had to stay behind and give up my vacation due to an emergency at work.

everywhere i've been 95% of the people have said they love american travellers, even though they usually don't like the gov't of the U.S. it helps to speak the language (my travels have been to spanish speaking countries), but in general most people around the world aren't childish america haters like the trolls on this board.