• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Why does Narcan cost more than the drugs I'm addicted to?

FunctionalJnkieGrl

Bluelighter
So as some of you may or may not know, my op 40 connection is temporarily unavailable til the 12th and I had to settle with the dirty 30's (definitely not my preference). I figured I'd buy some narcan from Target or a drug store to have on hand for you know, "just in case". Well if the price listed online is accurate, why in the fuck is a life saving med more expensive than an op 40 or a couple of blue 30's? I can't afford that after buying opioids in bulk. Seems a bit backwards to me. You'd think if they really want people to get help or better themselves, they'd make safe meds like kratom or narcan much cheaper and accessible than the more dangerous stuff, but no...I guess us worthless addicts don't deserve safety and less destructive options. When op 40's cost up to 40 bucks and fentanyl is 20, yet kratom and narcan cost more, you know that something is fucked in the system. I can't help but think it's all by design.

Yeah I saw narcan for $50 at Walmart, and it's only 2 doses... bullshit. 2 doses isn't always enough to bring some people out of heavy ODs.

It's part capitalism, part broken healthcare system, and also part by design from the "war against drugs" which has always been designed to criminalize addicts and keep them in poverty.

In some states narcan is free OTC.

However, there might be a harm reduction organization near you that gives it out for free. Might be worth looking into.

Yeah I saw narcan for $50 at Walmart, and it's only 2 doses... bullshit. 2 doses isn't always enough to bring some people out of heavy ODs.

It's part capitalism, part broken healthcare system, and also part by design from the "war against drugs" which has always been designed to criminalize addicts and keep them in poverty.

In some states narcan is free OTC.

However, there might be a harm reduction organization near you that gives it out for free. Might be worth looking into.
I saw the price listed at 44.99 for 1 measly dose of narcan. It's ridiculous.

If theres a needle exchange near you ask then if they have narcan. Mine does and is sending me out a narcan kit.
Unfortunately, there isn't a needle exchange program here. If drugstores have it otc, they're around $45 for a single dose. I live in a very conservative area. They'd rather not help us addicts. If someone OD's, that's one less junkie they gotta deal with. :(

@FunctionalJnkieGrl if this is for the purpose of self-administration, it really doesn't ever work that way. People talk a lot about "Narcanning myself if it feels too strong", but they don't. Even if insufflate Fentanyl, if you get a hotspot you'll still go down before you even have a chance to stop and think about the situation.

I used Narcan once on someone, they were out completely. Amazed how fast they reacted. You need someone around to save you, or narcan is just a little bottle.