• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Why does my benzo feeling wear off so quick?

Zopiclone and Gabapentin both don't have cross-tolerance with Diazepam. Diazepam has some cross-tolerance with Zopiclone. But not with Gabapentin.. Afaik
it does...i was taking gabapentin and diazepam wouldnt effect me but when i stopped taking them i could feel the benzos again...gabapentin suppress benzo withdrawal..so id expect there to be cross tolerance and zopiclone definitely has cross tolerance with all benzos

Delusions of sobriety. You can be very, VERY fucked up on benzo's but to you you seem 100% normal. It's weird.

This is very true especially for long acting benzos like diazepam. Rarely happens at doses as low as 10mg though. I mean without any tolerance 10mg diazepam can fuck you up, but you will feel it. Usually delusions of sobriety hit at higher doses, with more potent and less sedating benzos (e.g. clonazepam), or in people with a high tolerance who are too used to being benzoed.

Hi,

first I guess (could be wrong) that you just feel the upcome and then it just works. It is the most normal thing with benzos that you feel totally sober but you aren't.

Second, perhaps you should talk to your psych and switch to another anxiety med for a while, like Bromazepam or Lorazepam. Sometimes people really respond better to another benzo.

Third, perhaps that's a liver issue. You could be a rapid metaboliser. I don't know which Cytochrome is responsible for that, but I just can tell I have the same problem. Everything that should knock me out I do not really feel, and meds that should be very smooth and should normally act like a candy knock me out. Now I know it's the cytochrome CYP2D6 and CYP3A4 if I remember correctly. Perhaps ask your Psych to let you get tested (me too, they do it in the hospital and you need a prescription for it but you don't have to pay anything).

I told my Psych about my suspicion and he immediately gave me a prescription to let it test - because I was really scared to have a surgery anytime and I wake up during they do whatever...... I WANT TO AVOID THIS!!!

Here the Wiki-Article, perhaps it helps you:

JJ

This is the enzyme inhibited by grapefruit, I'm curious if you know what effect grapefruit has on you? If your problem is caused by being a rapid metaboliser, inhibition of the enzyme may counteract that somewhat.

Also being a rapid CYP2D6 metaboliser means you should get a higher level of morphine conversion from codeine so at least there's a silver lining.

This is the enzyme inhibited by grapefruit, I'm curious if you know what effect grapefruit has on you? If your problem is caused by being a rapid metaboliser, inhibition of the enzyme may counteract that somewhat.

Also being a rapid CYP2D6 metaboliser means you should get a higher level of morphine conversion from codeine so at least there's a silver lining.
But isn’t it a higher risk of OD from the codeine metabolising into morphine?

But isn’t it a higher risk of OD from the codeine metabolising into morphine?

The risk exists but not to a significant degree unless you combine it with other downers. ODs from codeine alone, even in ultrarapid metabolisers, are extremely rare.

What's especially interesting is that an excess of the CYP2D6 enzyme (making one an ultrarapid metaboliser of codeine) is significantly more common among those of African descent than in caucasians. Which may well explain why "lean" is so popular in hip-hop.