• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Why Does Libido Surge During Opiate Withdrawal?

1st of all - female here. A relative took my rx pain meds during the holidays, so I've been in withdrawal for the last week. Saying my libido is up is an understatement. I can't stop, but it's been amazing! I'm single so I have to stay indoors like my cat used to, or I'd jump anything that moved. It's the one single thing about withdrawal that almost makes the horror of rls worth it.

I am a female as well and can verify that precipated withdrawal caused a phenomenal increase in sex drive. Could not stop myself! Had orgasm after orgasm. There must be something in that stuff! If they could bottle this stuff they'd make a fortune.

15 year old thread but I noticed the hell out of this phenomenon and went digging 🤷‍♂️
I actually got my T level checked during use and was higher than normal, excessive oxy user. Just thought that was a little bizarre.

Also, RIP any real opioids in 2023 and to anyone on this thread not here anymore, see you in the next

Thanks.

Tsukasa, I've "withdrawn" from a few SSRI's (including paroxetine, buproprion, and sertraline), but I haven't really had a noticeable surge in libido, or (come to think of it) any other noticeable effects. I do wish all SSRI's would board a rocket and fly the fuck away.

Eon, I agree that the body, during withdrawal, is basically holding the pituitary gland at gunpoint and demanding that it secrete endorphin. But how much endorphin can these withered cells possibly secrete? Also, I think it's incorrect to assume that the heightened sensitivity present during withdrawal is a result of the body trying to milk endorphins out of itself. It makes more sense to attribute the heightened sensitivity to the sudden lack of exogenous substances that can bind to the thirsty opioid receptors, coupled with the body's poor ability to produce endogenous morphine (i.e. endorphin). Also, it's untrue that "a fat shot of heroin induces a rush of endorphins." I have to agree, though, that during withdrawal, one seems to have an enhanced ability to apprehend emotional abstractions such as love and devotion--much more so than in non-addicts. This is why I tend to say no to buprenorphine: cold turkey has serious spiritual rewards.

Nuke, wouldn't dopamine also surge in the absence of prolactin? This would shorten the sexual refractory period and also enhance sexual arousal. More interesting to me is that heroin dramatically suppresses LH, leading to a drop in spermatogenesis and decreased production of testicular fluid. LH may be the substance that most accounts (albeit indirectly) for increased libido during withdrawal, as plasma LH levels and LH production both rise after administration of naltrexone; in contrast, naltrexone doesn't cause immediate secretory bursts of testosterone. I wonder if synthetic GNRH would cause a rise in libido similar to during opiate withdrawal. I'm also slapping myself for throwing away a bottle of Revia I had a few years ago.
well said