• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Why does adderall have varying effects?

falsifiedhypothesi

Bluelight Crew
I have a script for 15mg XR adderall, I use it very sporadically. I use to abuse the shit out of them when I had 20mg but I realized it only made me feel like shit so I dialed it back to a 15mg script and 1-3 pills a week. that's not a limit I set its just how often I feel like taking them.

This is a strange drug. Sometimes I take a pill and I've got razor sharp focus and loads of motivation to be productive, other times the same dose turns me into a zombie with a heart condition and shaky hands. I have no idea what the contributing factors are for good effects vs bad. It seems to be more consistently good if I take a pill right after eating a decent meal but that isnt 100% bulletproof either. Anyone have any tips?

I'm just trying to use these for motivation, I have no interest in abusing them anymore, I understand the slippery slope of relying on them for motivation. My doctor and I have both agreed that this isn't a permanent solution, I just need to get the ball rolling.

Taking Adderall orally, as it was designed, wasn't working well enough for me.. I had read that at least with the IR Adderall I take, that certain manufacturers of generic Adderall were absolutely horrible, even making their symptoms WORSE.. I found one generic that works great, and haven't changed it since, the first one I had was like that, unpredictable, and weird feeling.. some days it worked, other days it did jack shit, AND I always took tums with it, as Adderall's strength is greatly reduced to more acidic your stomach contents are, so taking antacids and having non acidic food in your stomach is always a good idea, to make sure it works.. I know were technically not supposed to talk about generics/brand names on here, but out of all the different drugs I have been prescribed, the only one that has been entirely different from one generic to another is Adderall, which I believe is because some companies probably aren't mixing the amphetamine salts, binders, and fillers all correctly at the right ratio, of the 4 different salts of amphetamine that make up Adderall, and the fillers... I can PROMISE, that the first generic Adderall IR I tried was unpredictable, and barely lasted two hours orally, and like 1 hr if I railed it.. The next one, I wont say the name, but I will say it is the exact same formula to a tee, as the brand name Adderall IR, made in the same factory as a hint.. and it works wonderful everyday, even if I do have stomach acid, it is just weird! its like a completely different drug, compared to the first one I had.. which sucked so bad I almost had to ask my doctor to switch to another medication, because I thought Adderall wasn't working, but I am glad I didn't because when I found this one I have been taking, it made my life so much better, and took my ADHD away and gave me motivation and confidence for almost 8 hours most days, sometimes even longer.

Sorry moderators, if this post was out of line in any way, please feel free to let me know if I said anything I shouldn't have, as I know generic medication/brand medication, is something we aren't really supposed to discuss on here, but seeing how I have been on generics of 3 different benzos, and suboxone/subutex, and never really had an issue with any of those drugs, and all the different generics I have tried, but with Adderall it was like night and day, when I tried a different manufacturer, compared to the first one I had, just wanted to share my experience with how fickle Adderall can be IME.

Last edited:
Sounds like your trying to get a quick jolt like instant release. Adderall xr peaks at like 8 hours and lasts some what for all day. I take 55 mg xr in two doses 4 hours apart I peak at +12 hours.

Dude, I feel like it's just another example of an alternate subjective experience. It's not like taking drugs creates an entirely new life for you is what I'm saying. They just modify the life you're already living. If you're happy, sad, angry or whatever, taking drugs are going to modify that experience, but your own life and your mind are always going to dictate to some degree how you feel.

love2nod ive thought that maybe the amp salt mix wasn't consistent but unfortunately I have no knowledge of manufactures or their famed (un)reliability so picking out the "subtleties" in your post won't do me much good without research, which frankly I have no interest in conducting. I really appreciate the post though, I'll see if switching manufactures makes a difference.

I'm not looking for a quick jolt of energy. If I wanted that I'd crush one or two caps worth, which is a huge bitch of a job since they are the beads.

I think it's more than set and setting kief, at least I hope so. It's just that the same dose is having drastically different effects even under nearly identical conditions. My mood is pretty up and down during the day depending on what brand of bullshit is being served at my job and my general base mood for the day. Even considering that the only time I take them anymore is 1-2 hours after work and by then I'm pretty relaxed.

I realize this post is a long shot for solving this problem so thanks for the responses. I'm gonna try to keep a closer watch under what conditions I take these to see if I can figure it out.

No, I totally agree that set and setting isn't everything and I didn't intend to patronize you. I'm sure you had already considered that. I just know that I experienced changeability in mood with stimulants other than what would be expected.

it's cool kief I get what you were saying, no offense taken. It's not so much a mood change though, I won't be any happier or sadder either way. I'll either have more motivation and energy or be more sluggish and ready for some Xanax, sure I'm glad I got the good side of the coin or vice versa but it's not like with opiates where the euphoria is almost forced into my brain. Normally I don't get much of a mood change with amp except for slight irritability at times.

I definitely experienced the same with stimulants, which was sort of what I was getting at. In comparison to Opioids say, stimulants like Amphetamines can produce much more varied effects. I can become happy, anxious, sad or whatever on Amphetamines. Like you said though, Opioids are essentially a guarnatee of one effect or another.

YES^ And out of all the stimulants I have tried, Adderall has been the most unpredictable.. The only drug, I wont even bother taking if my stomach is even slightly acidic, even with the solid generic I am now using, which has much more predictable effects on me than the previous one, which I wont go into again.. Still I have different effects SOME days, with Adderall, not everyday.. and also I am taking IRs, the OP is on XRs so.. I have never taken Adderall XR at all, and have no idea how different it is to the IRs.. all I know is they are the same drug, just made differently.. and that I always tend to have the best effects from Adderall, if I take it, when I have already woken up, and not right when I wake up out of bed.. it doesn't work right when your super tired and take it.. I like to get up, eat some cereal or a banana or two for breakfast(for the potassium which is good to eat when taking Adderall), drink my coffee, and then take my tums(antacids).. take a shower, by then I am woken up completely, and the Adderall works perfect 90% of the time these days, when I first got on it, I had a real sub-par generic, and I read on google, I wasn't close to the only one who also had strange effects from that particular manufacturer... anyways once I figured out to have some food(not acidic food) in my stomach, be wide awake, and then take my Adderall it has become a very helpful tool for my life.. I had suffered from ADHD for years, and didn't even really notice, until I started reading about it online, and noticed I had all of the signs pointing to me having it.. thankfully, I was able to get diagnosed and set it straight, because while it may not make you a better person per se, it will take away a lot of the annoying side effects of ADHD, and make life much easier to get through without making mistakes and have a more clear head.. I am very glad for the existence of Adderall, although it maybe fickle, it does work for lots of people, like myself.. other people just don't react as well to it, and do better on Ritalin, focalin, Dexedrine, etc.. there are lots of other meds out there OP if Adderall isn't quite cutting it for you, all the time, that may work better! Talk to your doctor and see about trying something new, if this continues.. Also, if your worried about it being the generic you have, try the name brand, or google best generic Adderall XR, and you will find some helpful answers.. That's what I did, if I had stayed on the original bs generic I first got I don't think it would've worked out to well, am very glad I read up on that.. I believe the brand name XRs are under a different company than the IRs, which are made by barr/teva, those are the ones I take. and they work wonderful for me.. Adderall is by far the most unpredictable drug I have taken thus far, truly! I have taken LOTS of different drugs, and while they may all be unpredictable to some degree, I found amps to be the most!

I found eating helps i would unconciously forget to eat and wonder why i cant focus

^definitely better to eat, than not eat before taking Adderall! I found that helps too..

It sounds so stupid reading my comment eating food helps. But I could literly be starving in a buffet esp when I first took adderall thinking hmmm maybe I should eat but ewwwww

definitely better, and easier to eat before taking the Adderall! I don't even think about food for the next 5-6 hours after taking Adderall..

Ya should of done that I dont follow my own advice... im such a hypocrite!

Adderall, truly I know why they used to call them "diet pills" back in the day! seriously! They make me like, not hungry, but if I force myself to eat, I can eat whenever! its not like some of the other stims I have done like cocaine for example... that will make me NOT be able to eat if I do enough.. it really surpresses my appetite, and a-pvp when I did that stupid fucking shit, and almost went totally insane, was impossible to eat on.. I would literally throw up if I was on that shit, and tried to eat.. it was some badddd shit. glad it is out of my life now! Adderall has become one of my favorite stims ever, because it doesn't feel dirty like cocaine and a-pvp, really any street stimulant can make u feel..

Yeah it's pretty funny when you are zoned into something for like 8 hours then think, "I should probably eat" but then the thought of food seems disgusting so you just keep going. Then you wonder why you are crashing so hard

In a lot of ways, adderall is a miracle drug for me (I have ADHD) but my god, if it isn't one of the most inconsistent drugs in the world, I don't know what is. I use it responsibly for the most part, and about 8 months in, I still can't find a consistent dose that works for me and the level of focus is always different. I still love it since it helps me function but I totally understand the frustration. I can force myself to eat on stims too, including adderall, but I always hyperfocus and forget! It's such an annoying drug. I also use them about 3x a week, I can't handle more but I don't function on less. And as for the motivation, yeah... I got that the first week I've ever used it and it's been long gone since then. If anything, it's harder, because I want to focus on doing more creative things rather than use it to act like a responsible adult and get shit done. I think I was at my best on 15-30mg about 3x a week.