View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Esoteric Why do you take psychedelics

Keeloverandfly

Bluelighter
I spoke with a veteran tripper who told me he only takes psychedelics to connect with spirits or to answer questions in his life. He asked me why I partake and I said that it is purely for fun. To have nutty thoughts, see crazy colors, perceive the world differently, have transcendantal sexual experiences. He thought that was a bit light. I thought his reasons were a bit heavy. But then again I couldn’t give two shits on a gas station toilet seat about spirituality, and if I have serious questions about life I avoid psychedelics. Actually I have had therapeutic revelations on psychedelics but I never go in asking questions, rather these are sort of bonus answers to life’s mysteries in addition to the fun.

I have read posts by people saying that you should stop psychedelics when stop gaining insight from them. But what about taking psychedelics as pure hedonism. If they are just for funsies, like a donkey ride in the park (fuck I wish they had donkey rides at the park), why should one ever stop?

I’m sure it’s a much repeated topic but why do you all take psychedelics?

I'm mostly retired now. I began having a deep fascination with psychedelics when I was younger, but didn't really start heavier use until I was older.

The whole concept of hallucinations was interesting to me. I think I told myself I was interested in consciousness expansion, the inner workings of the brain, spiritual experiences, all that jazz.

But after awhile, after so many experiences I realized that I never found any answers in these areas. Don't get me wrong, I had many truly amazing and "divine" experiences... but in the end I never found any answers, nothing tangible I could integrate into my life. I found things, only to realize it's sort of objectively meaningless.

I continued using them anyways after this, only to come to another conclusion; I was using them as an escape, for recreation. This is what ultimately caused harm in my life. I became addicted to escapism via psychedelics.

I still have reverence for them, but in the end sort of feel a bittersweet disappointment. In a way it's like the mystery of the sun in all it's glory, but if you stare at it long enough it will harm you and alas, leave you with no answers.

I have read posts by people saying that you should stop psychedelics when stop gaining insight from them.
I cannot agree more with this sentiment. It's true.

Last edited:
Just to explore my conciousness and the universe that is within me. I rarely if ever go into any psychedelic trip with any particular intention or question or mission.

Sure I've taken them in more casual situations, concerts or microdosing but my idea is that I'm still exploring my conciousness just in a different way than full on immersion.

I defintley do know people who use ayahuasca in particular just to communicate with spirits and entities.

I don't, they take me. If one takes than he must return it. If one is taken away then it is the law of non empty space that assures that he will be brought back. But that's just I which scrambles and lie. "Who is I?" is why psychedelics are here. Or at least it is so appear.

I don't think taking them in a hedonistic way is any less right or wrong than taking them for spiritual enlightenment. Trips are for whatever purpose you seek - but the spontaneous unpredictable nature of them means you don't really get to choose anyway.

If you ask me why do I trip, I have two answers. One, I 'trip'(in the wider sense) to grow my mind. Two, I trip for enjoyment and to break the walls of reality down.

I know who I am now, the way I think and my principles.. I'm heavily influenced by tripping. But I didn't trip for that, nor do I continue to trip for it. I trip because I enjoy it. Its fun. I enjoy the way things look, the way I think, the way things that are otherwise completely uninteresting suddenly become fascinating.

Oh and sex on psychedelics is the best. I've had multi hour sessions that were just.. The best.

I think if you are starting to lose grip with reality, can't keep your life running then yeah chill out on the psychedelics but otherwise I don't see any issue.

Psychs are the walkie talkies I use to communicate with aliens.

You can also conjure up portals and travel the multiverse, Rick n Morty style.

Just take it if they made you good. Stop when not. And come again when you feel in the mood.

Stupid jokes aside, I just use it as kind of nootropic most of the time. For enhancing creativity and productivity and why not, sometimes just for fun or to spice up sex. Also to explore deep misteries, meditation, insighs and spirituality. Whatever rocks your boat. After 15 years of pretty continuous ugase, they keep me giving me so much.

Maybe I want to spend 2 or 3 months sober, and then another psychedelic enhanced phase. It all come natural

To help 'like open my mind real wide, man' (😁) and for the healing results of seeing the comedic side of all but the worst experiences life presents me (if laughter is the best medicine, I want to laugh my tits off!).
Also, and with regard to dissociatives, to treat a fucking awful pain the NHS seems to have little idea how to treat (and the first reason above)...

The side that loves the comedic would also say "in the hope of becoming the white Jimi Hendrix" (as if that was ever going to happen! 🤣)

No especial reason to take them most of the time - it's just the most fun I can think of having.

It's an old friend, it's solace from pain, eternally steadfast and true

One more thought: because, almost without exception, the people I've met through psychedelics are good people (no Charlie Mansons!), quite a few who have become good friends.
Can't say that about other drugs (friends, yes, but I've also met the occasional unbridled cunt)

To open the doors of perception so that I can feel the flow of the universe more clearly, even if it's just for that special time.

II use them for healing (trauma/depression) self-exploration, consciousness expansion, for spiritual reasons (entheogenes), becoming a wiser, better and more humble person. Never for fun.

II use them for healing (trauma/depression) self-exploration, consciousness expansion, for spiritual reasons (entheogenes), becoming a wiser, better and more humble person. Never for fun.

What if the intention of having fun overlaps or coincides with those other intentions?

What if the intention of having fun overlaps or coincides with those other intentions?
Good question. If I have fun that’s oké but so far most of my trips weren’t really fun. DMT was euphoric but at the same time I was in awe. Mostly it’s more of a mental/emotional thing. I have quite some garbage carrying with me, that should be processed first I think before I can have fun.

Bcs I have chronic depression. Gonna try 2.5g of good quality shrooms today, any recommendations?
Some ppl have told me to put lemon on the shrooms. Is it true that it potentiates the effect?

Bcs I have chronic depression. Gonna try 2.5g of good quality shrooms today, any recommendations?
Some ppl have told me to put lemon on the shrooms. Is it true that it potentiates the effect?
Lemon converts the psilocybin into the active psilocin which normally does the stomach acid. With lemon the come up seems faster and the duration shorter but not stronger per se.

I've always been fascinated with how complex human mind is and how many unusual modes of operation in has. I've been reading reports since my Uni years so when I finally had the capability to responsibly dabble in psychedelics, I took my shots. Turns out, it's just as fun as extreme sports or video games - don't be a dumbass and you're sure to have a good time. Frankly the "spiritual dude" part of psychedelics use makes me cringe a bit, especially since my friend became a full-on esoteric practicioner after a 600 mcg trip, but I keep it to myself and don't ruin the fun for others.

Last edited:
sure it is research but mostly it is play,
from play much can be learned, but the intention to play has to be honest or it loses the fun.

in the end, everything is research if it is honestly documented.

so, will I have time to play today and still hold up my end?
that is the question:
is driving involved, do I have to sign any papers, is someone coming, can I draw or paint.

182840610-recent_selfie.png

part of a self portrait in crayon from a few weeks ago