• Welcome Guest

Forum Guidelines Bluelight Rules
    Fun 💃 Threads Overdosed? Click
    D R U G   C U L T U R E

Why do you never hear of people taking Opana (Oxymorphone)?

ChemicallyEnhanced

Bluelighter
Literally every other opiate is frequently referenced on TV, on the news, on forums like this and you hear about them being used/abused all the time real life.
However I have never heard or seen anything (including on here) about people taking oxymorphone. The only reference to it I have ever heard was on one episode of Intervention.
Why is this?

There are reports here about oxymorphone but you're right, they are rare. Oxymorphone is a very potent opioid and is rarely ever given out. The potency isn't the primary issue though, it's the fact that it has to be synthesized from thebaine which only comes from poppy plants.

This wouldn't be such a big issue except most other opioids come from, or are synthesized from, poppies and few people need something as strong as oxymorphone.

Pharmaceutical fentanyl seems to be preferred in these scenarios, at least IMO based on the amount of reports here, because of ease of manufacturing. Fentanyl can be made entirely synthetically, hence it doesn't require importation and processing of poppies. It's also more than 100 times more potent (very rough estimate) then oxymorph
so smaller batches are needed.

Which is also why black market fentanyl is so prevalent. Clandestine labs can make fent anywhere in the world because they don't have to rely on the availability of poppies. The high potency means packages for smuggling can be smaller and more inconspicuous.

That's my hypothesis anyway.

When doctors began to shy away from prescribing oxycodone there was a brief surge in prescriptions for opana as it was a lesser known drug at the time with less stigma attached and came in a similar dosing hierarchy of ER formulations . It was also seen as less abusable due to the very low oral bioavailablity; basically necessitating IV use to abuse. FDA requested that Endo remove(2017) the extended release opana from the market as "the benefits no longer outweigh the risks" associated with its use. Still used as IR formulation rarely. Interesting, though largely useless fact; oxymorphone has almost no cough suppressant effects.

I am currently prescribed oxymorphone ER in addition to oxycodone IR.

When my insurance company decided to discontinue covering Oxycontin I requested that my doctor replace it with oxymorphone and he obliged. I am a long term pain patient and am extremely careful to follow his advice.

Interestingly, I do not get the pain relieving results that I was receiving from Oxycontin. Obviously the bioavailability is the issue as I use as directed.

So, to recap: I am on a stronger ER medication with less pain relief.
Typical

Before the whole “epidemic” they were plentiful . I personally never really liked it cuz your supposed to eat a high fat meal etc.. that was to much work for me . If I wanna get high I don’t feel like stopping for a fatty meal first and without it even when they were snortable I didn’t get much out of it .
Majority of the people I know got very much out of it but I also never liked hydromorphone either . I guess you don’t hear about them much anymore just like you don’t hear about 80’s anymore between making them gel and cracking down on scripting them .

very smart of you to use as directed, Opiemommy. getting high off your own prescription has gotta be worse than "getting high off your own supply."

i heard more about it before it reemerged. back when it was the holy grail. then all the sudden it was around, unwanted, and cheap as fuck. people were so caught up in oxycontin. a 40mg opana was cheaper than an 80mg oxy. a 40mg opana is more than 5x more drug than an 80 (4mg intranasal being equal to more than 20mg of oxy and lasting more than twice as long). oxymorphone lasts so, so long. longer than heroin back when it was heroin. but like heroin and dilaudid -- and unlike oxy -- oral is not recreational roa. so a year later when it went "OP" status, all you heard was frustration and people doing crazy shit like microwaving their pills. i remember one girl felt she had found the answer with a foot shaver. "muder"-something was her name. whatup murdersomething. miss yea. and hose clamps were synonymous with extended release abuse. a year after that, gone.

dilaudid is better. highly subjective, my opinion, imo, ime, blah blah. i'd take intranasal opana over old school heroin. even over iv mophine (edit: no, i take that back. opana is too fuzzy. iv morphine is such a lucid high). but ir dialudid up the butt is the best opiate high i've ever known.

Last edited:
There are alcohol extractions for use of IV that are interesting to say the least. It effectively removes the part of an Opana ER that makes it “tamper proof”.

It’s extremely sketchy, flammable and the end result is hard to see. I wouldn’t recommended. But there are folks successfully doing this and I’m sure leading sad lives.

“I don’t want this yellow stop sign for 20 bucks. I’d rather pay 60 for an 80” -overheard homeless man in boulder,co. ....this trend happens with everything. People discover, demand and ruin things in their glory.

you used to a few years back, I think that pain clinics have gotten better about unnecessarily prescribing that shit. shits literally 3x better than heroin. but legitimate pain patients are prescribed those sorts of opiates for obvious reasons, the black market isn't really hip to it as much, probably because the people with prescriptions need it and don't want to sell it.

Yep, intrarectal Hydromorphone is by far the best and most rewarding Opioid, even though it's also not too bad when administered intravenously, which has a interesting effect on the whole experience of how the Compound behaves, acts, feels like...

In my experience, the high is not nearly as much sedating as it's when done the rectal route, which is true for Hydromorphone just as it is for Diamorphine - and hell, even with a moderate tolerance, just 40mgs of plugged HM is a good blast for myself, that would blow most people I know directly to Neverland..., and most likely even to the Emergency Room because of an overdose/life-threatening condition (that's one of the reasons why I never give away some of my Prescription Medication)!

I'd really like to know how Oxymorphone is in comparison to Oxycodone/HM/DAM, when taken intravenously or intrarectally? ...but when the stuff is only rarely given out to patients where it's legitimately available, I think that'll remain a mystery to me, because this specific Compound isn't even prescribed (hence legally available) where I am living...

Yep, intrarectal Hydromorphone is by far the best and most rewarding Opioid, even though it's also not too bad when administered intravenously, which has a interesting effect on the whole experience of how the Compound behaves, acts, feels like...

In my experience, the high is not nearly as much sedating as it's when done the rectal route, which is true for Hydromorphone just as it is for Diamorphine - and hell, even with a moderate tolerance, just 40mgs of plugged HM is a good blast for myself, that would blow most people I know directly to Neverland..., and most likely even to the Emergency Room because of an overdose/life-threatening condition (that's one of the reasons why I never give away some of my Prescription Medication)!

I'd really like to know how Oxymorphone is in comparison to Oxycodone/HM/DAM, when taken intravenously or intrarectally? ...but when the stuff is only rarely given out to patients where it's legitimately available, I think that'll remain a mystery to me, because this specific Compound isn't even prescribed (hence legally available) where I am living...

Same here. We don't have hydrocodone/vicodin/lortab/norco, or oxymorphone or hydromorphine. They just aren't available by prescription at all. Oxycodone is but it's pretty rare. For strong opioids you're pretty much looking at either morphine or fentanyl.

I am sure that I could score me some Hydromorphone, Oxycodone or Morphine any day if I wanted to, but I'm just as sure about me not being able to get "upgraded" to something as strong as Fentanyl - and honestly I don't even wanna have Fent, except for some decent Nasal-Spraying Bottle of that Stuff (but not the damn patches)...

fentanyl is garbage. even iv at the hospital. when i got a midazolam/fent shot, i didn't realize it even had an opiate in it until later when i reassembled the events. the fent was preloaded in the syringe, so all i saw her suck up was the versed. all i felt was the midazolam, maybe because that's all i thought the shot contained. i thought they'd do one at time. and my memory of it is perfect, despite the anesthesiologist saying this is where i won't remember from. i figure this has to do with tolerance. zero rush. though iv morphine doesn't have a rush either (you can feel it as they inject, but it's not an instant opiate high). iv opiates actually take a moment to kick in, despite all i've heard iv users say. at first it's just a weird pressure flowing through your body. the propofol i have no recollection of. last thing i remember is staring up at the lights. don't even remember them starting the iv.

i prefer codeine to fent.

I love er opiate anything; morphine, oxymorphone, hydromorphone ect.
Not much for abuse purposes but it lasts most all day and one doesn't feel that need to redose... at least this is my experience.
Last couple years I seek these as they have a less potential for being bootlegged (as of this posting) and seems they are relatively cheap and plentiful.
Rather be caught with than without is my motto. :) Unless it's the fuzz; then I ain't got nuttin'.

fentanyl is garbage. even iv at the hospital. when i got a midazolam/fent shot, i didn't realize it even had an opiate in it until later when i reassembled the events. the fent was preloaded in the syringe, so all i saw her suck up was the versed. all i felt was the midazolam, maybe because that's all i thought the shot contained. i thought they'd do one at time. and my memory of it is perfect, despite the anesthesiologist saying this is where i won't remember from. i figure this has to do with tolerance. zero rush. though iv morphine doesn't have a rush either (you can feel it as they inject, but it's not an instant opiate high). iv opiates actually take a moment to kick in, despite all i've heard iv users say. at first it's just a weird pressure flowing through your body. the propofol i have no recollection of. last thing i remember is staring up at the lights. don't even remember them starting the iv.

i prefer codeine to fent.

Yeah, before a colonoscopy they injected me with fentanyl and midazolam. 10 minutes later and feeling literally NOTHING, the gave me the same dose of both again. I still literally could not feel a thing. The nurse told me that most people - especially people my size - would be unconscious. I seem to just naturally have a really high tolerance for everything, even if I've never had it before.

My doctor wants a phone consultation because i have been ordering my prescription way to early im currently on 240mg of codeine a day if i request a stronger dose will he give me more codeine or put me on something like dhc?

My doctor wants a phone consultation because i have been ordering my prescription way to early im currently on 240mg of codeine a day if i request a stronger dose will he give me more codeine or put me on something like dhc?

That's the maximum dose for codeine so no, he won't give you more. Just say the codeine isn't working for your pain anymore. Your doctor will give you Tramadol unless you specifically tell him you'd rather try DHC.

That's the maximum dose for codeine so no, he won't give you more. Just say the codeine isn't working for your pain anymore. Your doctor will give you Tramadol unless you specifically tell him you'd rather try DHC.
Thing I though I find tramadol and dhc shit compared to codeine I was hoping to ask to be put on a higher codeine dose

Thing I though I find tramadol and dhc shit compared to codeine I was hoping to ask to be put on a higher codeine dose

But DHC is VERY similar to codeine, but more than twice as strong.
It would be illegal for him to prescribe you more than 240mg/day. The pharmacist would be obligated to report you and your GP if (s)he did.
If you really want more codeine, it's pretty easy to buy online. I'm obviously obliged to tell you not to take more, but you're a grownup and you can do what you want.

Well I'm glad I asked I would rather have code in over dhc maybe if I could get something stronger than dhc maybe like percs or just morphine I doubt they would put me on them though