• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Why do we see spiders on Diphenhydramine?

Brian242

Bluelighter
I'm aware DPH is a "Deliriant" but I've always wondered why me and others see spiders and other horrible things.

I normally dose around 200-300 mg but only do it like twice a year.

And why does it just produce full blown evil right in front of your eyes and you can interact with them? Hell, I saw a translucent spider on a small table and when I would kick the table it would do everything a normal spider would do. I picked it up and could barely feel it crawling on my hand.

Why? Why is it so horrible? Hearing and seeing shit that isn't real, I think we found Schizophrenia in a pill.

That is what delirium does to you.. it's the anticholinergic property that does it. As for why spiders? May as well ask why LSD produces such beautiful visuals, or DMT makes you see pixies and people feel like they have been fucked by an alien goddess haha.. it's a mystery.

It's actually closer to acute delirium which can be brought on my many things (high temperatures, infections, electrolyte imbalances, other drugs, dementia) that schizophrenia - stimulant psychosis is closest to schizophrenia, and ketamine can bring out aspects too.

You're right though, tis nasty stuff!

I know! I don't feel anything after about an hour and a half but I sure see the evil coming out. Frightening stuff. The only time I do DPH is when I smoke cannabis because it kind of takes that scary ass edge off. I've also had to pop a few Valiums to bring me off the highest dose I've ever done (350mg)

I have no weed, but i'm getting sick of opiates and benzos but since I've moved, I have no connects for LSD-25 or shrooms.

I think if you were harm reductive enough you could try DXM since you obviously are using otc pills to get fucked up. Thats what I always told my friend irl when i found out they did motion sickness pills that if they want to get fucked up otc then get DXM robotussin pills and do a 2nd plateau trip. It's much better than motion sickness pills and some people react to it really well and get some uses out of it for introspection. I don't know if suggesting to use dxm to get fucked up b/c the op was using dramamine is against forum guidelines somebody should let me know please! It's what i do irl usually, best case scenario they robotrip and come to some mad conclusions on their sketchy drug habbits and their maliciousness.

I don't plan on using DPH for a while and I haven't used it since early summer 2011. I had Scoliosis correction surgery and have 2 metal rods and twelve 6" bolts in my spine so i'm prescribed a whole pharmacy of drugs. I get 180 Norco 10-325's, a shitload of soma (Carisoprodol), Gabapentin, and perc 10's for breakthrough pain and Klonopin.

And i'm not using Dramimine, I am simply asking a question about DIPHENHYDRAMINE A.K.A. Benadryl. Not dramamine. Maybe you should read my post a bit better before making false accusations.

I want real hallucinogens way more than benadryl. And i'm sure every Psychonaut would agree.

Robotripping is fun, but it's something i'm not really in the mood for.

so is that why we were seeing spiders - we were on a house boat all night doing blowing 5 am camea nd i coulda sworn they were racing eachother along a baseboard - and im thinking there was really spiders since we were athe lake on a boat lots of spiders dwell in those areas-- i dont think i was actually tripping.. but this made me laugha nd think of this.

I never had a full on deliriant trip yet but i always wondered how people could see real OEVs because, as far as i know, we don't have an exact photographic memory, do we ? Or maybe anticholinergics (among loads of drugs) exploit more of the brain's potential, in comparison with the limited sober state of consciousness.

Dude, from what i read you need like 700 mgs of DPH to induce the delirium (drugs.com, erowid). You managed to hallucinate on 200-300 mgs? A few days ago i did (first timer) 300 mgs DPH + ganja only to induce sedative effects... then i tried redosing it to 500 mgs but it wasn't enough and it made me fall asleep.... although.... i remember one strange thing : while on the tramway i could have sworn i rapidly saw my own self from a year ago standing outside (old haircut, clothing and old friend of mine walking behind)... i literally jumped out of my seat to try to get off at that station but it was too late... i once read about deliriant that everything in your vision can be normal expect for minor details which happen to be the hallucination and that experience was like that... it makes me want to try it one day... if i can find a way of getting rid of the physcial discomfort which obviously induces badtrips : like you said, benzos and weed might do well.

At 250 mgs DPH i barely have audio hallucinations and that's it.

Haha robotripping is epic btw.

@psylex: if you like dxm, you might combine it with dph. the dxm reduces the "physical discomfort" from dph.

That sounds crazy!
Is this stuff over the counter? or prescribed? or illegal; in the UK?

it's otc;;;. diphenhydramine or dimenhydrinate are crazy delirints ... i tripped once on dph, talked to invisible friends n shit, it sucked... as for why spiders, i dunno, shadows kindof llookn "spidery" sommetimes

I never had a full on deliriant trip yet but i always wondered how people could see real OEVs because, as far as i know, we don't have an exact photographic memory, do we ? Or maybe anticholinergics (among loads of drugs) exploit more of the brain's potential, in comparison with the limited sober state of consciousness.

Dude, from what i read you need like 700 mgs of DPH to induce the delirium (drugs.com, erowid). You managed to hallucinate on 200-300 mgs? A few days ago i did (first timer) 300 mgs DPH + ganja only to induce sedative effects... then i tried redosing it to 500 mgs but it wasn't enough and it made me fall asleep.... although.... i remember one strange thing : while on the tramway i could have sworn i rapidly saw my own self from a year ago standing outside (old haircut, clothing and old friend of mine walking behind)... i literally jumped out of my seat to try to get off at that station but it was too late... i once read about deliriant that everything in your vision can be normal expect for minor details which happen to be the hallucination and that experience was like that... it makes me want to try it one day... if i can find a way of getting rid of the physcial discomfort which obviously induces badtrips : like you said, benzos and weed might do well.

At 250 mgs DPH i barely have audio hallucinations and that's it.

Haha robotripping is epic btw.

Well I guess everyone's different. When I did my 350mg dose, I wound up staring at my white wall, watched some invisible T.V. on it for about 30 minutes, layed down under my bedroom window, heard a dog bark. But it sure as fuck didn't sound like any dog I ever heard so I didn't look out the window. My subwoofer was crawling with 1 huge spider with like 18 legs and had to close my eyes and cover the subwoofer with a DVD case. I also saw one of my poster's eye start "Looking" around like a crazy person. The eye was twitching and jerking around. Fuckin' freaky stuff man.

At the time I was 16-17 and weighed roughly 110 lbs had already robotripped up to the 3rd plateau before this experience.

That sounds crazy!
Is this stuff over the counter? or prescribed? or illegal; in the UK?

It's otc here but I'd suggest doing some more reading about it before trying any, deleriants are one of the few classes of drugs I've realised I have zero interest in trying... (not that I have anything against people that are able to gain some enjoyment/benefit from them)

Is there any secondary effects to a deliriant trip? Someone said paranoia on another thread without sources... maybe you could take choline/piracetam supplements to smooth it out a little bit too

Those OEVs ought to be mad realistic... not to mention at higher doses of DPH (like with datura, jweed) the report say complete full imerged inception like trance / lucid dreaming.

I know someone who's son took what they retrospectively think was Datura (I'm not too sure of the details but I think he was kind of 'spiked'- given it as something else or something along those lines) while at a music festival in Eastern Europe. He lost all his friends, belongings (including passport..) and ended up in a hospital for a week or so afterwards - I don't know whether you would consider that a primary or secondary effect though...

like you said, benzos and weed might do well.
Arent mixing benzos dangerous while taking dmh? benzos can make sedation stronger and this might be way to respiratory depresion.
Or maybe i am wrong?

^I'm not really answering a yes or to that with regards to advice. I used to take a fair amount of dph, and often times with cannabis to make it trippier--and sometimes even with a couple beers to take the edge off of the dph bodyload.

It definitely increased the sedation aspect, though I don't recall any specific respiratory depression--which I have noticed from other combinations [opiates +alcohol, high dose jwh's, etc.].

The funny thing about dph is that, while it increases sedation, sometimes it's paradoxically stimulating and uncomfortable--actually preventing sleep. Maybe the benzos would help, though combine them in small amounts being wary of synergy. A warning should be attached though, taking benzos for amnesia and a drug that makes you delirious sets you up for repeated dosing--believe me.

When I tried it I saw spider WEBS all over my walls. They seemed to be about an inch off the wall and almost like smoke :?

Could it be that it produces visuals that fit that sort of geometry?

The spiders don't really fit a geometry model like lsd visuals, or others--the hallucinations are commingled with reality; a possible product of the embodied mind?

I have done Diphenhydromine many a time and each and every time, spiders were present within the hallucination onslaught. I have to warn you all to avoid Diphen, as I really don't believe its healthy for the body, mind, or spirit. I believe the reason I saw spiders is 1. Because my trip mentors had told me that I would certainly see spiders.. So, I am guessing that I expected to see them, therefore I did see them. 2. I am actively petrified of spiders and that is an integral piece of me. If I know that I am afraid of spiders, then my mind/subconscious mind will probably think about spiders once it notices that it is creating delusion hallucination in the plane of reality. I believe these two factors play a huge roll.

Story Time-
A friend of mine tried taking Benadryl to achieve a hallucinogenic high back in the 90s. The trip I am about to speak of was his second Benadryl trip. He took the pills in the safety of his own home. (which, I believe is paramount to Benadryl trip safety, btw) Anyways, he took 20 or 30 of the 25mg pills and ended up witnessing his own father's crucifixion on his bedroom wall. As creepy as this may sound, it actually gets worse. Within the next month or so after experiencing this nasty "bad trip" concerning his father's crucifixion, something terrible happened. My friend's father actually committed suicide and left this earth after my friend's trip... Which, I am sure has unfortunately scarred my friend for life. These are the risks you take when using drugs of this nature.

Myself, I have also had some terrifying Benadryl trips. I once truly believed that I was being tracked down by murderous skeleton head hunters. I can remember asking my friends if I was going to die, over and over again. At the time, I really thought that I was going to either be killed by skeleton head hunters, or Overdose and die from the Benadryl itself. Very scary stuff. I also once tripped that I had walked into the woods. I had to pee very badly, and so I went into the little bathroom pavilion within the camp I was staying overnight at. I went for an enclosed toilette, rather than using a urinal. I had finished my duty, and, trying to be as sanitary as possible, I washed my hands after flushing the toilette. Here is where things got very strange... Upon walking out of the bathroom pavilion, and closing the door behind myself, I met one of my girl friends. She had apparently walked out to the pavilion with me to watch over me. Well, she seemed very dumbfounded at the sight of me. I asked her what had made her look so concerned and confused, and, if she had come out to use the bathroom as well. She simply replied "Umm... Xxxx, There is... no bathroom pavilion" I casually looked behind myself and saw that the entire bathroom pavilion had vanished. I had hallucinated the entire experience. This was EXTREMELY hard for me to comprehend at the time... And completely insane to think about sober. I sometimes wonder if I had ever actually left that trip. This entire life of mine may be a Benadryl trip as my comatose body lay in the hospital bed I had been brought to unconscious in an ambulance that night... F*ck that. haha.

End.