• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

Why do we pronounce it "Jesus" the way we do?

I have difficulty believing your question is genuine and you're really just going philosophical sport fishing but I'll point to the place to get your answer.

Names, words and pronunciation have all changed a lot over time and the act of transferring knowledge verbally allowed for small changes in each telling. If you are from any part of the English speaking world you simply have to look forward or backward to the nations colonized before or after the one you live in and you will see a change in how words are spoken and written.

The name Jesus jumped through a couple languages before arriving in english. If you translated it today it would be Joshua but because the religious community have difficulty with change each small group around the world keep the pronunciation they first learned.

None of them think its at all odd that the book they base their life on has the name of the main character incorrect from the original point simply because every language has their own interpretation.

For the record Santa Claus has a lot of different names as well.

Are you referring to the Spanish pronounciation of Jesús?

Ok. So the thing is, there are different languages spoken on this earth. Here, in Germany we pronounce it "iɛːˈsuːs". That's how it's pronounced in Latin as well. The French pronounce it ʒezy.
The reason why you pronounce it Gee whiz is because you speak English.

I wouldn't want you pronouncing my name in some English manner.
Your peers probably feel the same. They are not named Jesus, they are named Jesús

Last edited:
I have difficulty believing your question is genuine and you're really just going philosophical sport fishing but I'll point to the place to get your answer.

Names, words and pronunciation have all changed a lot over time and the act of transferring knowledge verbally allowed for small changes in each telling. If you are from any part of the English speaking world you simply have to look forward or backward to the nations colonized before or after the one you live in and you will see a change in how words are spoken and written.

The name Jesus jumped through a couple languages before arriving in english. If you translated it today it would be Joshua but because the religious community have difficulty with change each small group around the world keep the pronunciation they first learned.

None of them think its at all odd that the book they base their life on has the name of the main character incorrect from the original point simply because every language has their own interpretation.

Why would my question not be genuine?

As in "cunt"?

Fuck. It's that (silly) time of the year again! :ROFLMAO:

Why would my question not be genuine?
Because English-speakers usually don't name their kid Jesus,
where in Spain or Latin-America Jesús is a very common name.

They speak a different language, ofc they pronounce it differently :ROFLMAO:
especially because English has one of the most uncommon ways to pronounce anything.
You should hear you guys speak Latin, it's fucking hilarious. From the makers of "Per say"

That is wrong, because Santa Claus isn't Sankt Nikolaus, not by a longshot.
He is based on Sankt Nikolaus, but only part of the appearance, and the Naughty or Nice list. The name ofc
Sankt Nikolaus comes on the 6th of December, the 24th is often reserved for the Christkind,
at least pretty much everywhere in Europe. He isn't fat, he is tall and thin.
He doesn't live on the North Pole, he doesn't have fucking reindeer and a magic sled,
he doesn't have helper elves, he has helper demons.
He doesn't bring presents, he brings nuts and oranges usually, fruit, food mostly, only the Christkind brings gifts.
Sankt Nikolaus does keep track of naughty and nice, but if you're naughty, his servant the Krampus, a goat-like monster who is an advocate of the devil, will take you with him

csm_Rattener_Almteufel_mit_Nikolaus__c__Rattener_Almteufel_bbadb18b19.jpg

That is the actual festival

Santa Claus is a character invented to push the sales of Coca Cola.
He is a fusion of Sankt Nikolaus, the Christkind and a fat guy for some reason

Last edited:
Because English-speakers usually don't name their kid Jesus,
where in Spain or Latin-America Jesús is a very common name.

They speak a different language, ofc they pronounce it differently :ROFLMAO:
especially because English has one of the most uncommon ways to pronounce anything.
You should hear you guys speak Latin, it's fucking hilarious. From the makers of "Per say"

I didn't say *I* had a kid names Jesus lol. Just that I had heard it many times.

I didn't say *I* had a kid names Jesus lol. Just that I had heard it many times.
Oh that's not what I said.
I said that culturally, most people called Jesus are from Spanish-speaking communities,
because in many other languages the word is entirely different; Yeshu, Joshua, Isa, Jezui, Iesu, Jisu, Zjezus, Isus, and so on..
so it is rather self-evident that they would be pronouncing that name in a Spanish fashion :ROFLMAO:

I just think that's why he's perplexed if the question is real, perplexed me too

good ole yeshua.

i often wonder if he was an amalgum of different millenialist street preaching rabbis.

so its a g chord where you remove the third and add a second or fourth. then you have jesus2 or jesus4.