• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Why do stimulants cause bruxism/jaw clenching?

JackiesBabyy

Bluelighter
I'm curious, what is the pharmacological/biological cause of stimulants causing your jaw to clench?

I always thought it was excess energy but I could be wrong

Nah, even when coming down and not energetic anymore I still feel it. Feels like there's something physical causing it to happen. (chemical causing tightening of the muscles or something)

It's a behavioral response to stress. Stimulants release norepinephrine and dopamine and this release results in a state mimicing stress

It's a behavioral response to stress. Stimulants release norepinephrine and dopamine and this release results in a state mimicing stress

Ah, I didn't think of that. I've never been one to grind my teeth while really stressed (only when about to explode with rage, which is rare) so I didn't recognize that.

I always thought that some geek could invent like a "gear guard" lol a dental thin mouthguard protecting the teeth from the ever present grind to be worn whilst pinging, or coming down trying to sleep. I dare say I could have benefited from one yrs ago instead of a lecture from a dentist..

I always thought that some geek could invent like a "gear guard" lol a dental thin mouthguard protecting the teeth from the ever present grind to be worn whilst pinging, or coming down trying to sleep. I dare say I could have benefited from one yrs ago instead of a lecture from a dentist..

It's not even the fact that my teeth are grinding together that bothers me, it just feels like someone's squeezing my jaw and it gives me a headache (jaw-ache?) sometimes ahaha.

It's not even the fact that my teeth are grinding together that bothers me, it just feels like someone's squeezing my jaw and it gives me a headache (jaw-ache?) sometimes ahaha.

Well I used to think there was some method to the madness.. some meth U would have no clenching or grinding at all whilst other forms powder or shards etc would hit you the next day.. so I put it down to more/or less of a substance added during cooking that spurred the clenching.. But now I find its a behavioral issue with stress. Another issue solved.. something else learned. God dam luv this site!

Magnesium!Magnesium!Magnesium! it helps sooo much with jaw clenching from stims is swear by it. i wont take and stims without it

^This

It also reduces the muscle aches, and may help keep tolerance down. It's a must for any stimulant use, prescribed, recreational, whatever

I have Invisalign style retainers for use at night, but when I'm finding myself exhibiting particularly intense Bruxism while on my prescription amphetamines, I put it in and it actually feels really good, the way it pushes the teeth, almost like scratching an itch, and it completely protects my teeth against grinding so I can bite down and grind as hard as I want, which feels wonderful, with no guilt or negative effects. If you have braces, ask for an Invisalign style retainer when you're done, or if you already have one, try using that. I love it.