• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Why do some experience physical withdrawal from weed?

Knarkaren

Greenlighter
I'm not a very heavy smoker so I've ofc never experienced any withdrawal symptoms.

I understand you can get psychologically addicted to weed just like you can get addicted to anything that makes your brain produce dopamine but I never knew you could actually get physical withdrawals when quitting weed...

Insomnia: makes sense because weed works as a sleeping aid so when abstaining from it after heavy use you will experience a couple sleepless nights. Fine

Vivid dreams (not necessarily nightmares) also makes sense as your rem sleep comes back and you start to remember your dreams. This phenomenon is called "rem rebound"

However I read EVERYWHERE abou heavy users complaining about extreme night sweats lasting 3-20 days, sometimes even diarrhea and shakes??? Sound like a heroin withdrawal to me ??

The night sweats seems pretty common tho. I have friends who experience them but most don't.... Even if they've smoked daily.

What causes night sweats??? I know alcohol, opiate and even nicotine withdrawals include night sweats.... Never thought it could happen with weed. So what causes it??

I'm not a very heavy smoker so I've ofc never experienced any withdrawal symptoms.

I understand you can get psychologically addicted to weed just like you can get addicted to anything that makes your brain produce dopamine but I never knew you could actually get physical withdrawals when quitting weed...

Insomnia: makes sense because weed works as a sleeping aid so when abstaining from it after heavy use you will experience a couple sleepless nights. Fine

Vivid dreams (not necessarily nightmares) also makes sense as your rem sleep comes back and you start to remember your dreams. This phenomenon is called "rem rebound"

However I read EVERYWHERE abou heavy users complaining about extreme night sweats lasting 3-20 days, sometimes even diarrhea and shakes??? Sound like a heroin withdrawal to me ����

The night sweats seems pretty common tho. I have friends who experience them but most don't.... Even if they've smoked daily.

What causes night sweats??? I know alcohol, opiate and even nicotine withdrawals include night sweats.... Never thought it could happen with weed. So what causes it??

the night sweats are probably anxiety. anxiety is definitely part of the w/d and i'm sure it can produce night sweats.

Night sweats (most insane you can imagine)

Loss of appetite

Randomly falling asleep during the day

However a few times where I quit I actually had way more energy and ate a lot more then usual.. it just depends on your mindset maybe, or how long you smoked in a row without a break.. amount matters a lot too. When I smoked 3-5 gram a day for years and quit it was true hell on earth for 2 weeks. When I smoked a gram a day and quit I got really bad night sweats and dreams for a few days only but that was about it.

I have no idea why it happens though.

Night sweats (most insane you can imagine)

Loss of appetite

Randomly falling asleep during the day

However a few times where I quit I actually had way more energy and ate a lot more then usual.. it just depends on your mindset maybe, or how long you smoked in a row without a break.. amount matters a lot too. When I smoked 3-5 gram a day for years and quit it was true hell on earth for 2 weeks. When I smoked a gram a day and quit I got really bad night sweats and dreams for a few days only but that was about it.

I have no idea why it happens though.

It seems like often the withdrawal symptoms are the opposite of what weed gives you. For example weed makes your appetite go through the roof and when you quit loss of appetite is common.

The weird thing about night sweats is that not everybody gets them. I wonder if its anxiety related or if it's the body's way of detoxing it self from thc metabolites.

People say nicotine is worse by far when it comes to withdrawal symptoms. I'm not so sure anymore.. Weed 'withdrawal' seems similar if not worse... And that's after heavy use off.

Just a question: are you self medicating with weed? Do you have any mental illness or diagnosis? The reason I ask is because I often see people with adhd/bipolar having a harder time quitting than others because the weed is often helping with their symptoms

I also experience withdrawal when I take a break, for me it's very similar to kratom w/d.

Night sweats, insomnia, anxiety, irritability , loss of appetite and no energy what so ever.

Last edited: