• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Why do shrooms affect me so strongly? Other hallucinogens don't...

morphine-dreams

Bluelighter
I've tripped on shrooms about 4/5 times now. Only two were really breakthrough trips and the first was the most intense and the only one I'd call a truly bad trip (there was full ego death and everything, though I felt complately fine after. I don't know any of the exact doses, but all were under 3g. The mushroom in question is P.Cubensis.

So anyway, each time I take them, they just make me lose control emotionally, even though most trips have been good, great even. It's like even though I can still think about things rationally in my head and feel ok, my face/body reacts as if I'm experiencing intense and usually negative emotions. I'll just start sobbing over something very minor, or nothing at all, without actually feeling like I need to react the way I do. It sounds and looks terrible, but it's actually usually therapeutic if anything. This is usually on the come up, and then it often gets better after that. The peak is actually usually very fun for me. If I use weed and/or opiates during the trip, it always seems to help a lot and make the trip even better. This is all to say that even though the experience isn't usually bad, it's in complete control of me to the point that I really can't trip with other people because it always freaks them out and then that leads to an actual bad trip. Also, while I can have fun, I very rarely experience much clarity on shrooms, whereas I do with mescaline and dxm. On shrooms it's actually just a lot of confusion, much more so than if I were sober. The edginess and anxiety doesn't help, but I can usually handle that. It's the confusion that does me in.

I haven't tried any other tryptamines, but I can handle mescaline just fine, and I LOVE dissociatives. I'm wondering if it's just a brain chemistry thing? I do have severe ADHD so I'm sure I have naturally low dopamine levels to begin with, and shrooms are serotonergic, so could that be a reason for why shrooms affect me the way they do? From what I understand, mescaline is dopaminegic as well as serotonergic, so that's where my logic is coming from, although I'm definitely no expert on neurology. I also have not-so-severe PTSD, which has mostly been resolved. Is it just psychological, or maybe both-a combination of brain chemistry and then not being able to easily deal with the sort of shock to the system? The thing is, aside from the first trip where there was ego death and it was just too intense, I've never wanted to end the trip even though I always have benzos on hand in case.

Sorry for the long post, hopefully it makes sense. I just want to figure out what's going on because I actually really do enjoy shrooms and see them as a challenge to overcome, I feel that there's a lot to discover and learn from. Finally, if it is a brain chemistry thing (like I mentioned earlier, I have severe adhd, to the point that it greatly interferes with my life) would taking adderall beforehand help?

Another quick thing worth mentioning is that I get strong OEVs on shrooms even on low doses (first trip was *maybe* 2.5g and I tripped BALLS, never did over 1.5g since and still get great visuals). My bf does the same doses or higher, has as little experience with tryptamines as I do, and never trips nearly as hard.

Psilocybin is a very powerful psychedelic hallucinogen, it's no shocker that you'd get really high on it. I suppose you could try some other drugs like LSD or vaporized DMT if you want to see if psilocybin affects you particularly strongly compared to some of the other drugs in its family...everyone is different. For example I love tryptamines but I dislike dissociatives...different strokes and all that

I do have some LSD, and I think I'll try it soon. I definitely don't dislike shrooms, I just can't really handle them around other people, but I prefer tripping with company, so it's kind of a catch 22. I actually prefer stronger trips, I've microdosed a few times and it was manageable but edgy and not very fun, but a stronger trip to me is still a relatively low dose for most. I know it's not generally recommended, but I'm thinking that I should maybe get better acquainted with psilocybin by myself. Although tripping with others is very fun, I think a lot of anxiety comes from not wanting to get extremely emotional around others and freaking them out. On the other hand, every time a trip has gone bad or too weird, it happened when I tried to be alone.

I found that early in my tripping "career", solo tripping was far easier and more beneficial to me. A lot of the anxiety came from social interactions, or worrying about social interactions, or worrying about what other people think of me, and tripping alone eliminates that. Over time I got a lot more comfortable with psychedelics and myself and I don't get the social anxiety anymore around others, and I prefer tripping with friends again.

^ I don't really like solo tripping. For me those kinds of drugs are very much a social thing...if I want to do drugs alone I'll use heroin or even cannabis.

Social tripping can go extremely wrong, though. It can be difficult to navigate social cues while high out of your mind

I always solo trip on dxm and it's by far my favorite hallucinogen...hmm. I've solo tripped on mescaline too and liked it.

Now that you mentioned it, I think social anxiety might very well be the problem. I'm OK with a wild, emotional trip and know I can handle it, but when other people start worrying about me, it really brings me down. I think the fact that my first shroom trip was a bad one also amplifies the anxiety big time, because I'm kind of expecting it and worrying how I'll handle it around others, and that's obviously a terrible mindset to start with. Now that I think about it I've always started with solo tripping, and while I always have enjoyed dxm, I never would've been able to handle it socially when I started using it, only now that I have a good amount of experience can I comfortably trip socially. Every time I've had a bad trip, the catalyst was the anxiety of having a bad or overly intense trip in front of others.

Psilocybin is the most powerful psychedelic on earth, bro. Sure you need less LSD to trip, but psilocybin is the equal of any psychedelic. Just listen to dennis mckenna say that psilocin is the same thing as DMT in ayahuasca without the mao inhibitor. check him out at the five to six minute point. Ayahuasca and high does psilocybin is the same experience. Check it out bro.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yF2eJP_C4U

Just a little update-I tripped solo out in nature on a nice day and had a perfect experience, classic insightful, euphoric trip. Set and setting really is everything, I guess it's just a lot touchier with tryptamines than the other stuff I tried. After that experience, I was able to comfortably trip socially as well. Thanks guys!

Nice one!
I find mushrooms to be really variable, I think because it's harder to dose precisely with them, and I also suspect potency varies quite a bit from one mushroom to the next. Plus psychedelics are just wildcard in general, and doses are touchy like you said.

That's awesome you had a good nature trip! :) :)

Psilocybin is the most powerful psychedelic on earth, bro. Sure you need less LSD to trip, but psilocybin is the equal of any psychedelic. Just listen to dennis mckenna say that psilocin is the same thing as DMT in ayahuasca without the mao inhibitor. check him out at the five to six minute point. Ayahuasca and high does psilocybin is the same experience. Check it out bro.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yF2eJP_C4U

I don't think that psilocin is equal to any psychedelic. It may be equal in how powerfull it's effects are. But LSD and mescaline have a much greater variety of effects. They affect a greater amount of receptors. I find LSD, mescaline and ayahuasca much nicer. Psilocin is psychologically a bit flat, compared to those other substances.

I think shrooms are as profound as any psychedelic. The only way to actually compare is to get pure psilocybin, which nobody does. The majority of people tripping on mushrooms have no idea what the dosage is. In my experience, mushrooms were more unique and powerful than acid or other lysergamides I've tried. I'd put mescaline on par with them, but I do like it more. Mescaline is the shit.

Drugs effect everyone differently. I had a ++++ experience from 2.0g of dried mushrooms, and a +++ experience from 1.5g of dried mushrooms.