• S E X
    L O V E +
    R E L A T I O N S H I P S

❤️ Welcome Guest! ❤️

Posting Guidelines Bluelight Rules
  • SLR Moderators: axe battler | xtcgrrrl | arrall

Why do people hug platonically?

You would find it odd traveling or living in parts of Europe and South/Central America where men and women kiss each other on the cheek platonically, or even two women or two men in parts of Europe will do this platonically as a greeting.

Do you not like touching people, or do you have extreme OCD or a phobia of getting sick from just touching someone like from a hug or kiss?

I've kissed and hugged lots of women and men. It doesn't mean I want to sleep with them, or that I'm interested in them sexually.

I think physical contact for the sake of affection is a little off putting to me. I can have physical contact with people in sports like football or wrestling with no problem... but when people do it to show affection it bugs me out. I'm actually a pretty gross person, believe me, I don't have an OCD. I'm the worst nightmare of someone with an OCD.

And I don't get physically sick or anything from hugs. But I do feel a little awkward receiving a hug from a male or an unattractive female.

Yeah different people are just comfortable with different levels of physical affection, culture plays into it too as others posted. I'm not touchy feely, especially if it's someone I don't know well (or at all), and I just tell people that if they try hugs I'm not up for. Or I just preemptively stick out my hand so they'll shake that instead :D

Some people don't enjoy it and that's okay.

I hug soooo many people. The only times that I don't hug is at work. LOL. When I meet someone for the first time, I hug them and say nice to meet you. Like a casual hug.

But to each their own. :)

It freaks me out when I go to hug a person and they return my attempted hug with a back hand five or a fist bump. The group of friends I grew up with always hugged, and sometimes even kissed each other on the cheek, male and female. Nothing sexual behind these actions, just a sign that we were family and had each others backs.

I have noticed people in this day and age, mostly our youth, do not hug much, or it is rare to see at least. I went to hug a girl goodbye who was my best friend's girlfriend right in front of him and she replaced it with a fist bump. I just shrugged my shoulders, hugged everyone else and then left.

Some people just don't like to be touched.

Non-huggers are weird to me though.

It freaks me out when I go to hug a person and they return my attempted hug with a back hand five or a fist bump. The group of friends I grew up with always hugged, and sometimes even kissed each other on the cheek, male and female. Nothing sexual behind these actions, just a sign that we were family and had each others backs.

I have noticed people in this day and age, mostly our youth, do not hug much, or it is rare to see at least. I went to hug a girl goodbye who was my best friend's girlfriend right in front of him and she replaced it with a fist bump. I just shrugged my shoulders, hugged everyone else and then left.

Some people just don't like to be touched.

Non-huggers are weird to me though.
We were the same growing up, hug & kiss on the cheek or even lips without it being sexual :)

My friends and I have always hugged to express love and appreciation, whether male or female. I know a lot of guys though, and some girls too, that do not. Usually the guys that do not hug are the ones that I would assume are not completely comfortable with their sexuality. In your case OP, based off of your other posts, I believe that is the case. You have admitted to being uncomfortable with your homosexual tendencies and not wanting them because you feel they are wrong, so it makes perfect sense in your case.

For girls I would say the same. They find the act too closely related to something sexual, therefore are uncomfortable with expressing affection in this way to someone they are only friends or acquaintances with. It's all about how comfortable you are with yourself I think. If I hug a guy, it isn't going to make me question my heterosexuality, because I know that I am sexually attracted to females. I may find myself emotionally attracted to a male, and feel the need to hug him, but that does not mean I want a sexual relationship with him. Hugging just feels good man.

To counteract my own thought however, maybe some people just don't want to hug everyone. Sexuality could have absolutely nothing to do with it. Maybe they just feel it is something special that should only be used towards someone they feel very deeply about. Some people just don't like to be touched period. It's all up to the individual.

I just noticed how I already responded to this thread haha.

Last edited:
There's nothing wrong with a cuddle.

I hug most of my friends, even if I don't know them that well.

If they are European, one can play the game of whether it's a kiss on one cheek, two cheeks, or a third kiss, and to throw a cuddle in there.

Hugging chubby people is the best. So much cushion :)

There have been occasions when I've been out and had random girls, on what ever drugs, just randomly come up and cuddle me. Actually, sometimes dudes do that, too. Wait, now that I think about it, I do that as well.

So what?

Why would anyone hate on hugs? Hugs are great. Although, I don't cuddle with people I'm not intimate with. I wouldn't like my partner doing it either. But hugs? Hugs are great even from just friends. They are really great when you're feeling down too.

It's just physical comfort. Like when you're a baby and cry, you're immediately comforted, cuddled, held by your parent. Were you hugged a lot as a child? You may be uncomfortable with it because you don't have those good memories surrounding it. Some people who were sexually assaulted when they were young and uncomfortable with hugging because it's associated with sexual assault.