• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

Why do people downplay my accomplishments and achievements when I already did so much

deadendgame

Bluelighter
I busted my ass off for so many years in school. I did so many things for others. It's unfortunate where I am now, but I can't help it. I got schizophrenia at an early age and it's not that. I secretly have OCD as well, and it takes roughly 2-3 hours out of my day just obsessing about things. I sometimes perform compulsions as well. I think my neighbors caught on because every time because I know they can see me check my car doors five to ten times every time. I'm really tired. Goddam it! I feel like even though I did so much, there is no reward or even acknowledgment for what I did, but instead hatred from others for what I'm not doing right now. Well, I'm doing the best I can. I work as a security guard standing at a store all day and still it's not enough to make ends meet. I am no longer afraid of dying anymore. I'm more afraid of living longer than I expect

In short : Cause they are afraid, that their own accomplishments fall short in comparison to even bigger accomplishments, that fall short to ... until you reach the end of the pyramid (if you belong to the according bloodline -> if you and only yourself seek to make someone to be responsible, other than yourself and choose to blame a religious subgroup, seek in the Vatican =D).

I'm sorry you're frustrated, and you have every right to be frustrated. Kudos for managing your schizophrenia and being productive and successful - not many people can do that. That's tough that on top of everything you have OCD - that sucks. I have OCD really bad too, it's not always easy to live with.

As far as your neighbors or anyone else, who cares if they know about or witness your OCD. It gets a lot easier when you just own it instead of trying to hide it. For years I tried to hide mine and it was a lot of unnecessary hard work and a waste of time. I use CBT to manage it, but every now and then I will indulge the OCD. Sometimes people are around. If they look at me strange I just laugh it off and say - " gottavindulge the OCD sometime." Who cares. I get compulsive about doors and people have seen me with my car. I have a thing before I leave or get into the car I have to walk completely around it and look at everything, sometimes feel the tires. If someone wants to judge me on that or because I check to make sure it locked a few times then they need to find more interesting things to do with their time. However, mentioning it to someone staring at you and laughing about it does break the ice - try it out. Don't be mean or sarcastic - try to genuinely laugh about it. Hell, they may do weirder things - they may obsessively pick their nose and eat it before going to bed, or worse. People are strange and everyone has one or two eclectic behaviours ;)

You've accomplished a lot - I think you should hold your head high and be proud of you who you are:

The stigma behind mental illness is real but I feel it is slowly getting better more people know what OCD is and have some compassion and understanding when they see someone preforming a ritual. And if they don't then they aren't the type of person who's opinion should matter anyway.

Some days I see the glass half empty and think nothing has changed or even worse, that it has changed but not for the better. Other days, I look around me and see so much progress being made in demystifying and understanding mental illness and this cannot help but reduce the stigma.

Deadendgame, the best thing you can ever do for yourself is to shrug off the ignorance of others. Let your sense of self-worth come from you and only you. Living with schizophrenia and OCD takes an incredible amount of planning, strategizing, creativity, patience and grit. You have and are still accomplishing a lot but many on the outside are never going to recognize it.<3

It's never easy living with a Mental illness, but you have to remember those who are not impacted by it will not understand it. I don't know how old you are but I understand exactly where you are coming from. I have lived with this for many years and had to hide it as I was in the military and similar types of jobs before I was able to take any medicine. You just have to stay strong and know you are not alone. I am in my 40's and have a career I am still struggling twenty years later and getting tired as work is a huge stressor.

You may never get credit for your struggle and feel someone else really understands what you've gone through.

However, it could happen that you find people who understand and appreciate.

Since its dicey on finding people who understand and value your struggle I think I can suggest three things:

A) Value yourself. Don't worry about the opinion of folks that don't understand your struggle.

B) Try to meet and engage people who might understand, like support groups. Online and in real life try to seek and network with people likely to be empathetic and understanding

C) Don't assume your current state as far as support and understanding is your forever state. Things can improve a lot.

A) Value yourself. Don't worry about the opinion of folks that don't understand your struggle.

B) Try to meet and engage people who might understand, like support groups. Online and in real life try to seek and network with people likely to be empathetic and understanding

C) Don't assume your current state as far as support and understanding is your forever state. Things can improve a lot.

This is so very true. (B) is really the key to it all IME. (A) and (C) invariably follow from engaging in (B).

Deadgame: Concentrate on making yourself happy - people who don't value you/empathise with you are asshats (simple as) Focus on finding people who respect you but firstly, INSIST on respecting yourself, as you are. <3