• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Discussion Why do opioid users have options that help but meth users get nothing but a block from the meds they need?

guiltyinink

Greenlighter
I’m struggling to find a doctor that understands that I’ve always lived with anxiety and never abused my Klonopin, didn’t even take it daily. I’ve been able to get Klonopin even while using methamphetmine (so long as I didn’t get drug tested) but as soon as I wanted help for my meth use, everything gets taken away as if I’m going to get addicted to what I’ve legally been prescribed. So I went and detoxed on my own, I don’t like the 12 step programs because my use was not a moral failing, like they seem to treat it (not that I don’t believe it can’t work for some people, it’s just not for me) I just needed it for motivation and energy. Benzo’s will not and never did give me energy, not in the same way. It helped me cope through anxiety, made my body stop trying to jump out of my skin… But never made me want to “take on the day” without sleep. I don’t get why cutting out the things that work, just because they happen to be addictive to others, means I have to be stereotypically shoved into that box… and that box makes no sense to me. Those two drugs do opposite things. Completely opposite. I’m angry that I’m proud of my new sobriety and that the doctors are making it even harder to stay “sober” because I wouldn’t technically be sober? If I went to the bar for the legal alcohol, I wouldn’t be sober than either, but I don’t like alcohol.. Can someone help me understand this logic, or help me with what I would have to do or say or where to find a doctor that has flexible working cognition? Because this is illogical to me, personally… I do have a record of never abusing my benzo prescription.

(If this is the wrong place to post this I’m very sorry, I’m new… but if I didn't post now, my pissed’offness might fade and I’d lose the energy I had from that.) Thanks for your time

Nearly 30 years ago I kicked a meth habit...and I ended up in AA because Alcohol was always my drug of choice. The problem is you are not likely to get and stay sober if you are using benzos. Furthermore, AA (and in your case you need to go to NA) addiction is absolutely 100% NOT considered a moral failure, it is simply NOT.

I do recommend seeing a psychiatrist while going to NA. My meth use caused me to become Bi Polar and I cycle at night and cannot sleep. I was given a drug called Seroquel and it shuts the brain down BOOM like an 8 hour lobotomy. That will help you tremendously with your sleep wearas Benzes whole just get you addicted agin. Seroquel is not addictive.

Fast froward more than 30 years since my last drinking and nearly 30 since my last use of meth, and I am having some sleep issues again. Surprisingly, my psych prescribed some Ambien, but at this point I only take it as needed so my addiction is still in control.

Hopes this helps.

It because the professionals that prescribe theses controlled substances don't have a clue and unfortunately are putting little effort into finding one.

This is ten years old, but their accomplishments during the opiate crisis really just show a clueless professional body execrating themselves as quickly as possible from financial, professional and moral nightmares to the tune of massive death. Done without any public recognition, acceptance or admittance. It's not the physicians fault.. they got fooled. Yeah fuck that and "press one for billing." Analogizing a very wealthy and strong US lobby, prolonged greed, severe arrogance and profound ignorance we see where we are at with the US health care system. I wish they were even close to as good as they think they as they wouldn't be the nightmare they really are. Knowledge on addiction and substance use.. forget about it.

Physician Education in Addiction Medicine​

Last edited:
It because the professionals that prescribe theses controlled substances don't have a clue and unfortunately are putting little effort into finding one.

This is ten years old, but their accomplishments during the opiate crisis really just show a clueless professional body execrating themselves as quickly as possible from financial, professional and moral nightmares to the tune of massive death. Done without any public recognition, acceptance or admittance. It's not the physicians fault.. they got fooled. Yeah fuck that and "press one for billing." Analogizing a very wealthy and strong US lobby, prolonged greed, severe arrogance and profound ignorance we see where we are at with the US health care system. I wish they were even close to as good as they think as they wouldn't be the nightmare they. Knowledge on addiction and substance use.. forget about it.

Physician Education in Addiction Medicine​

Yes, I have to say that you describe the rule, not the exception. I got lucky with my current psych doc....in fact I don't see he I see one of her staff who is some type of social worker/Nurse practitioner. But in general the medial field is primarily interested in protecting themselves. I have several horror stories, I most recently posted about my dermatologist who treats skin meds like they are opiates, I posted about that recently.

10 years ago I had severe pneumonia and my FP would not even give me cough syrup (and I suffered very much as a result) and I never never had any issues with opioids.