View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Why do I throw up after dropping acid?

rubydacherry

Greenlighter
My first ever time dropping acid it was in the form of a sugar cube and about an hour after I took it I was driving around with some friends and threw up out the car window. Another time I was at home and took three tabs and again around an hour after I was just chillin in my room listening to music when I felt really nauseous and threw up. I haven't heard of this happening to many people so I'm a bit confused

I'd say it must be the anxiety... has made me burp a number of my first trips (and I mean very nervous burps every 10 seconds or so). For a psychedelic it seems to have a low incidence of causing 'unavoidable' physically originating nausea. That would be something like 5-HT3 agonism which can simply make a psychedelic (or other drug) relatively nauseating even with no anxiety.

Of course it could be a very very rare 5-HT3 over-expression but I would expect you to have nausea relatively often... anxiety is much more likely, so much so that I would bet good money on it.

My first ever time dropping acid it was in the form of a sugar cube and about an hour after I took it I was driving around with some friends and threw up out the car window. Another time I was at home and took three tabs and again around an hour after I was just chillin in my room listening to music when I felt really nauseous and threw up. I haven't heard of this happening to many people so I'm a bit confused
I would suggest avoid taking any food before the trip. The longer - the better IME. Especially post processed fatty foods. Also if you are on any meds, they can affect that as well.

I know a guy who throws up on pretty much everything because of his stomach/metabolism, but then again, it's quick, painless and even funny for him every time!.. :D

I find that most psychedelics can easily make me nauseous, including LSD. As Volsam suggested, eat lightly, and eat healthy before a trip. If you react well to cannabis, try adding a cautious bit.

Good calls - on some psychedelics more than others I crave light digestible and natural foods. People have reported - on some psychedelics particularly like some not further specified 2C-X - that fatty foods can be especially burdening. As for me, I have never had experiences that show me that huge a difference between types of foods already eaten when coming up, but more generally having something significant in my stomach can really make me overly aware of it which can get pretty uncomfortable.

During a retreat I have also switched to a very very light diet together with others and it really did make me feel much lighter. Something similar can apparently happen with psychedelics but acutely and possibly even more pronounced. Whether you are affected by it enough for it to become a problem probably depends on how sensitive your sensations and awareness is, your metabolism, and also very importantly whether your typical diet is heavy or not to begin with (your 'baseline').

I had a friend that would pretty much start retching as soon as the blotter hit his tongue - if I had to guess I'd say it was psychosomatic in his case. No matter what drug he ingested he was always prone to vomitting, I think it was just an anxiety/anticipation thing for him.

Personally never experienced nausea on LSD.

Usually when it's not anxiety/anticipation it takes some time for absorption and metabolizing before such problems arise... The mind is quicker than the body in that respect.

Without meaning to over simplify things, I guess drugs just sometimes make you sick.

With specific regard to psychedelics though, I always feel that it's from that build up of energy which starts soon after ingestion. It's distinct from anxiety, although it shares characteristics. I know little about spiritual energy but I've always felt that this is what it was, because it can build quite intensely which pretty much defines the comeup, and eventually the trip, for me. It seems to be able to overwhelm you, physically, and make you sick.