• MDMA &
    Empathogenic
    Drugs

Welcome Guest!
  • MDMA Moderators:

Why do I keep seeing people saying your MDMA trip is dependent on setting?

Acidropp

Greenlighter
That is total nonsense. If you need to have the right 'setting' to have a good time on MDMA, then what you're taking isn't MDMA.

The only drug where setting can have an effect IMO is acid.

I hated taking MD around people who continuously asked what 'level' I'm on as if I'm supposed to snap out of the good time I'm having to give people an analysis of the good time I'm having. Very annoying. Same deal with psychedelics - I'll be sitting there watching the technicolour clouds swirl around the aurora as it rains stars down onto the beach I'm laying on when someone's like "dude, you gotta check out this piece of aluminium foil! It's trippy as fuck!". Yeah, thanks dickhead. lol.

Then there's uptight nazis who feel the need to lecture others with their anti-drug propaganda bullshit while they knock back another bottle of booze and light their 20th cigarette for the night, or people that keep bitching all night about how they're not high enough to have a good time like that's somebody else's problem.

Definitely makes a big difference being around the right crowd and in the right atmosphere.

I hated taking MD around people who continuously asked what 'level' I'm on as if I'm supposed to snap out of the good time I'm having to give people an analysis of the good time I'm having. Very annoying. Same deal with psychedelics - I'll be sitting there watching the technicolour clouds swirl around the aurora as it rains stars down onto the beach I'm laying on when someone's like "dude, you gotta check out this piece of aluminium foil! It's trippy as fuck!". Yeah, thanks dickhead. lol.

Then there's uptight nazis who feel the need to lecture others with their anti-drug propaganda bullshit while they knock back another bottle of booze and light their 20th cigarette for the night, or people that keep bitching all night about how they're not high enough to have a good time like that's somebody else's problem.

Definitely makes a big difference being around the right crowd and in the right atmosphere.

You need some new friends as that's never happened to me. :p =D

Just because it has never happened to you does not make it 'total nonsense' - set and setting plays a great part with pretty much every drug (IMHO). You can be having a great time and then something horrible may happen, somebody not high may enter the party, somebody inexperienced may become poorly, you may get somebody who just wants to mess with you, you may become to wasted for the surrounding and the list goes on.

Taking MDMA does not automatically mean your going to have a great time.

Aciddrop- Haha yeah probably. I'd say 99% of the time, as long as you're in the right frame of mind on that stuff, there's not much that can get you down. I can definitely understand how setting factors into people's experiences though.

Bearlove - Yeah, it definitely exaggerates emotion and that's not 'always' a positive ie; if somebody is in a bad frame of mind, some unpleasant event unfolds through the night, underlying mental condition surfaces etc. I think that was one of the reasons I stopped, people would sometimes be dependant on it precipitating a good time, like if their high didn't kick in to epic proportions, they wouldn't be satisfied; you have to do some of the work yourself. I was always just happy to have something going in the background of my consciousness and if it was mind-blowing: Bonus. If not, who cares, you're still out with your friends. Night's what you make it.

Last edited:
It's very possible to have a bad MDMA trip. In fact I'd argue that in my experience, the purer your MDMA is, the more psychedelic and therefore set/setting sensitive it becomes. Also the set/setting can have a huge impact on the subjective MDMA experience, even if it's just as enjoyable as previous experiences.

It's very possible to have a bad MDMA trip. In fact I'd argue that in my experience, the purer your MDMA is, the more psychedelic and therefore set/setting sensitive it becomes. Also the set/setting can have a huge impact on the subjective MDMA experience, even if it's just as enjoyable as previous experiences.

Never happened to me in all the years I've taken it. And I've been in all sorts of situations where people have 'overdosed', fights broke out etc. and none of it has ever managed to make my night any less fun.

Aciddrop- It's an empathogen, people feel a sense of unity with each other and their surroundings. Despite that, we're all individuals; we react differently to situations and each have different experiences with drugs. I loved MDMA for a while, just realised that I wasn't sharing the same experience that others were, I felt like people were expecting me to have exactly the same experience they were. You might keep dancing while fights break out, others might reflect on it and think 'is this really the kind of shit I want to be around on a Saturday night?'

Aciddrop- It's an empathogen, people feel a sense of unity with each other and their surroundings. Despite that, we're all individuals; we react differently to situations and each have different experiences with drugs. I loved MDMA for a while, just realised that I wasn't sharing the same experience that others were, I felt like people were expecting me to have exactly the same experience they were. You might keep dancing while fights break out, others might reflect on it and think 'is this really the kind of shit I want to be around on a Saturday night?'

Sorry I don't think I expressed myself properly. What I meant was, MDMA has such a profound effect that I find it impossible NOT to have a good time. To me personally it isn't setting related at all. Acid on the other hand though can be.

Understandable - I took MBDB once and had an awesome time. Wasn't until the next morning I realised I'd spent half my night hanging out with randoms out the front of a 7-11 haha. Can definitely understand how it scored the name 'Eden'. Friends who went clubbing on it that night though said the stuff was crap. All depends on the individual. I've actually never had a bad experience on acid but I can definitely see how the environment someone is in and the company they're keeping could have the potential to steer the experience either way. Same with MD for a lot of people.

Definitely!

With pure MDMA I need to be with people I love to get the most out of the experience. I still enjoy talking to strangers on MDMA, but it's true potential doesnt show it self before I'm with loved ones (friends, boyfriend). So it's most definitely setting dependent for me. I have never noticed that my set has made the roll any different for me, but I'm sure this can be a factor for other people, just like setting is a factor for me. I always take MDMA in a setting I also would like when I'm not on drugs, same goes for LSD, that works for me :)

With MDMA mixed with lets say meth, it's not setting dependent at all for me. I could be outside in the cold rain with strangers (I hate coldness and rain and generally feel uncomfortable around strangers) and still have a blast. So there is definitely a big difference when it comes to pure MDMA and mixed MDMA.

I prefer pure MDMA, just to make that clear.

It's been stated but it is all in the term empathogen. To feel the empathy of MDMA and get the most from it you have to be in a setting which allows you to express that empathy.

That is total nonsense. If you need to have the right 'setting' to have a good time on MDMA, then what you're taking isn't MDMA.

Take some and go sit somewhere with no stimulation and no friends, and no music.

It's completely subjective anyway, so to argue it woukd be pointless.

Look, man, next time you want to start a thread, just stop for a second and ask yourself:

"Am I certain that my personal experience with MDMA is the only experience there is, and nobody else has ever had an experience that's any different?"

I sometimes take mdma all alone, and cry until my hair is soaked through by tears. ;)