• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Why do I get paranoid and anxious on weed?

TheGoatKing

Greenlighter
I started to smoke weed in February 2014 to November 2014. I absolutely loved it. It was the best feeling in the world. On November 28th, 2014, I had a severe nervous breakdown because I was depressed for about 5 years, had a lot of stress in my life and worried about a lot of things. Everything came down on me all at once. I got extremely paranoid to the point that I thought people were trying to kill me. My mind just blew up. I thought the cartel and other gangs were after me. This paranoia ended up sending me into a mental hospital for four days. Long story short, I was extremely fucking paranoid because I had a nervous breakdown and I also am bipolar 1. Bipolar makes you paranoid too. I now take medicine for bipolar disorder.
The other day I smoked this indica dominant strain called Passion Kush for the first time in over 6 months. I smoked a snap and I didn't feel anything. Then I smoked a big bowl of it and the high hit me all at once. For about 4 hours I was high off my ass. I didn't enjoy it though. I was paranoid about my Mom finding because my parents are really strict about weed and I was paranoid about the cops finding out. I thought about my nervous breakdown a lot. When I was high, I thought this dog was going to attack me. I was paranoid about people walking by, noticing I was high. I didn't think they were going to attack me like I did 6 months ago. I was sitting in my friends car and I was looking at the cars driving by. 6 months ago I thought cars were after me. I was psychotic 6 months ago. Basically I had thoughts of the horrible thoughts that I had over 6 months ago.
I also suffer really bad from anxiety and I thought the weed would help my anxiety but it made it worse. I was paranoid and anxious the whole time. I should add that I am not really in the best place in my life. I'm 22 trying to figure out life, worrying about work and school and worrying about my future. I'm also going through therapy with one psychiatrist and two psychologists to recover from my breakdown and become happy again.
What should I do to enjoy weed again? Is it because I am still recovering from a nervous breakdown? Is it because I am not in a good setting in my life? I need advice. Thanks guys. I used to love weed and it makes me so depressed that I had a negative effect from it the other day.

It's hard to say when or if you can safely resume smoking again because marijuana can exacerbate paranoid conditions. I'm going to move this to Cannabis Discussion.

I get the same way. I honestly think it has to do with the different strains of weed, and the people you're smoking with/your surroundings/if you're already anxious as fuck, etc.

Last edited:
I know how u feel. I was a huge stoner and smoke tons of weed everyday from age 14 to 21. And then after that weed started giving me panic attacks. It sucks cuz I love weed and I miss it and now it's legal to buy in the stores in my state now but it's like now I kinda can't smoke it anymore I just freak out when I do it's not enjoyable anymore it really sucks.

Idk why this happened either.

My guesses could be that now that I'm in my late 20s that my brain fully developed and it just can't handle weed anymore.

I also was diagnosed with major depressive disorder in my early or mid 20s around the time weed first started freaking me out and an anxiety disorder.

So now I've been on antidepressants for three years , mirtazapine ( remeron) and clonazepam daily for two years they work really well and saved my life cuz I was suicidal for two years before I got put on Meds. I'm doing good now but damn I miss weed.

And I had gotten baked thousands of times daily from 14 to 21 and loved it but now the high is different and I freak out.

You said you have bipolar. Maybe it has something to do with anxiety and depression disorders mental health. Because I am not bipolar but I have major depressive disorder and an anxiety disorder. Not the same as bipolar but similar I been thru a lot of the same stuff as a bipolar person with episodes and stuff but no bipolar manic highs. Just lows and episodes and panic attacks.

I think ur body is telling u its not good for your mental health by releasing flight or fight (anxiety) keep clear or use small amounts rarely

I've been thru all of that in a way. I know how u feel. I would say stay away from weed for a few years. And keep taking your medication and keep working on your mental health

I agree that it is different for everyone but the action it has on the body generally the same. Now how the body responds to said action will likely vary greaty from person to person based on both physical, mental heal and other prexisting.

Given your conditions, I would suggest quitting weed altogether for some time at least. Also might be worth trying out pure CBD capsules or chamomile teas. If you are already on bipolar medication please be very careful when mixing with other drugs, some combos are deadly.

Honestly, from what I have seen in myself and friends as well I believe that weed can be anxiogenic, or a cause of anxiety. My older brother quit a few years ago because he said he realized it was causing way more anxiety than not smoking.