• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Why do "gangstas" hold their pistols sideways?

nuttynutskin

Bluelighter
At least in movies or on tv lol... I always wondered where the hell that originated since there's really no advantage of holding a gun like that.

Thats so the bullet doesn't miss by going up and down. It goes left and right killing one of the other G's.

I am actually a decent shot sideways only b/c I got sick of shooting in the traditional positions. I think thugs do it to look cool/different.

It looks like a fist. Like punching. It's aggressive. It might be intimidating.

Functionally, I don't know. I imagine more shots *might* be able to be fired in shorter amounts of time. That's possible. It might sacrifice accuracy for more rapid fire. It might also be good for dual wielding. Maybe one hand- say the dominant hand carries a pistol more upright, with the sites, while the other is a little less coordinated, kind of piggybacking on the coordination/aim of the dominant hand.

I imagine alternating, but the dominant hand feels best upright if either are.

Movie gangstas and fashion gangstas? Because that's how it's done in the movies

Real gangstas? The ones i've had the unfortunate pleasure of meeting in the past didn't hold their guns like that.

Last edited:
If you're shooting multiple times at a crowd you're more likely to hit someone due to the recoil (horizontal as opposed to vertical). If they're just shooting at one person, it's pointless to hold the gun sideways.

They do that on tv, anyone who does that in real life has no idea what they're doing. If you tried to shoot holding sideways the recoil would fuck you up so bad you wouldn't be anywhere near your target

1. a fist still looks like a fist rotated 90 degrees, doesn't it?
2. a gun pointed at you upright is not intimidating?
3. why?

alasdair

1. I don't know.

When I put my arms out in front of me, in their most relaxed position, the hand falls the way the gun is held, gangsta style. This is how I was imagining a fist, punching, although I know other punches happen. But it seems more of the puncher's weight, or energy might be able to transferred to the punch this way, or it happens that a punch that can, happens to have this kind of fist, more or less. I am not sure. I might look later, or ask my friend what he thinks, as he does martial arts, and things. Anyone know about this? I'm curious now.

But I don't really know. I know that didn't really answer the question. At least I don't think it did.

2. yes. but the out of control gangsta with a gangsta gun look might scare me, might scare me more than someone with a control over the weapon. This as in, I might be able to reason with them, not as in reason with them while they're "in control" mowing people down, but as they point it at me. In the case of an attacker mowing people down, I might see an advantage over the gangsta somehow, that I didn't see over the traditional holder.

3. when I put my hands out and do firing motions, in either position, it feels like I can do the trigger pulling motion a little easier, and more stable, for the pulling of the trigger. but then, I may have been trying to prove myself right, because I tried again and it was different.

and now it's different again. I was wondering if the tendons/muscles might be supported or balanced in some way, to allow it. I don't know, and kind of doubt it, but I don't know.

Last edited:
It might be...
I don't know.
That's possible.
It might...
It might...
I don't know...
I am not sure...
I don't really know.
I know that didn't really answer the question. At least I don't think it did.
might...might
but then, I may have been trying to prove myself right, because I tried again and it was different...and now it's different again.
I don't know, and kind of doubt it, but I don't know.
awesome post. thanks.

:)

alasdair

Another question, why the hell do they wear their pants below their ass? Is that cool? Or just idiots again?

Another question, why the hell do they wear their pants below their ass? Is that cool? Or just idiots again?

I believe it started in prisons because they weren't allowed to have belts (for obvious reasons) resulting in pants sagging. If you ever get on the wrong end of a gangsta you shouldn't be too worried tho because they'll most likely shoot someone else by accident while tripping on their own pants. It also makes it easier for authorities to catch them. lulz

sagging-pants-level-black.jpeg

index.php

baggy-shirts-or-really-long-torsos-1dde.jpg

I think my grandmother had a nightshirt that looked like that.

Last edited: