Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Tryptamines Why didn't I get the purge?

Cabbanis Lifestyle

Bluelighter
Hello girls and guys!

I saw a question on Reddit from a first-time Ayahuasca user who had a stellar experience without any fearful and challenging moments and no purge (throwing up).

This person was curious as to why they got no urge to purge.

I think that this may be interesting to you guys and I'd also like to have the perspective of BlueLight.

This was my answer:​

Hello!

You described a great trip, I'm glad for you.

I think your question is great and it can have many answers.

A big part of purging involves three things:

1. Your original objective;
  2. The context;
  3. Stored Trauma;

Original Objective​

Many people approach the ceremony with the intention of improving themselves and cleaning.

One way that the purge "cleans" us is by psychologically representing a flush of the mind. So if you have been saying or thinking things that you don't believe in or know to be untrue, then the purge can come to resolve that.

Another way that the purge cleans is by releasing trauma, I'll talk about this later.

So if you start the journey with the objective of cleaning yourself, then the purge is more likely than someone who has other less purge-related intentions.

Stored Trauma​

A big part of the psychedelic message is to learn to let go. Letting go means letting the trip take you completely without feeling ashamed of how you look, etc.

Mammals have developed an evolutionary tool to release trauma. It's common to see after a tense animal hunt, for example, that the animal will shake like they are having a seizure. And then the shaking fit is over and they return to the normal schedule without any signs of trauma.

In humans, this trauma can be psychological and most people consider it extremely anti-social to release trauma in front of other people. So we teach our kids to repress the urge to release the trauma in public.

The problem is that we don't teach people how to release this stored trauma in private either, so as we grow older we store every kind of trauma within our muscular structure and even in the structure of our brain.

Maybe this has happened to you. You lay down to sleep or relax in bed to watch a movie and you start shaking for many minutes like you are shivering of cold. Well, this is your body realizing that this relaxed moment of privacy can be an ideal moment to release the trauma stored in your muscles.

I have some video illustration of this:

Animation -

Real-life non-human example -

Real-life human example -

So...​

Maybe your main objective did not involve cleaning yourself. Then, it was just a playful boy (or girl) meets the goddess kinda scenario.

Another possibility is that you already have a trauma-releasing routine that works well enough that Ayahuasca doesn't have to get involved in this process.

Yet another possible reason for a purge-free experience is a proper diet prior to the experience.

For example, the legendary creator of Santo Daime spent one month only eating a root similar to potatoes and drinking Ayahuasca. I don't know how often he had a purge experience, but I know that some diets induce more purge than others. Especially if you have been eating things that you BELIEVE to be bad for you.

And finally, I also think that every person has to develop their own relationship with the Ayahuasca personality and maybe you are working your way to the physical purge.

I also want to add that "difficult" is super relative. To many people, the first few minutes are the most difficult because they are scared of change. To other people, the peak is difficult because they are alarmed by the velocity of the experience.

Maybe you are the kind of person who will never have a difficult (as in bad) experience because whatever comes is good for you even traditionally unpleasant experiences.

The 'purge' needn't be throwing up, it could be an emotional release of any kind or shitting yourself for that matter.

I didn't spew when I did Ayahuasca, because I didn't want to. I just let the initial nausea pass then inevitably had diarrhoea when it passed through me. I can imagine the more of it you drink the more likely you are to throw up because it really doesn't sit well in your stomach, and tastes pretty gross to boot.

The 'purge' needn't be throwing up, it could be an emotional release of any kind or shitting yourself for that matter.

I didn't spew when I did Ayahuasca, because I didn't want to. I just let the initial nausea pass then inevitably had diarrhoea when it passed through me. I can imagine the more of it you drink the more likely you are to throw up because it really doesn't sit well in your stomach, and tastes pretty gross to boot.
I agree totally. It can also be defecating!

I was around psychedelic noobs who thought there was something wrong with them if they didn't throw up, so you'd hear some of them heaving and retching for hours desperately trying to expel their guts thinking they wouldn't benefit from the experience / weren't 'doing it right', if they didn't do so.

They'd also pride themselves on the amount thrown up too and give each other props to whoever 'released' the most during a ceremony.

Ah, dogma.

The one drug that I was happy to throw up on was heroin but only when I was a total beginner. It meant I'd catch a good buzz.

I did feel like a junkie holding in my Ayahuasca nausea as I didn't want to waste any of it...

Throwing up on heroin can be a drag though, especially when you're lying in bed and you've just eaten loads of baked beans, only to projectile all over the sheets.

Is the purge just some western idea about ayahuasca? I remember a native who used it said its main use was making them vomit to get rid of the worms that they are all riddled with from drinking unclean water.

Dmt makes you vomit in the presence of an maoi - think its down to serotonin receptors being common in the gut - you vomit if you take moclobemide with dmt and surely noone thinks moclobemide is some wondrous spirit.

Linking vomiting to emotional trauma is reaching a bit.

De-worming seems like it would be a secondary thing rather than the main 'use'. There isn't any use to the nausea, it just seems inevitable when drinking jungle jizz.

I'm sure they could just stick their fingers down their throat if they just wanted to throw up.

Theres no nausea with the bark itself - its when you add the dmt it hits the gut receptors and you hurl. Doesnt seem any way around it - even squirting the dmt up your arse you still get a wave of sudden nausea.

So still nauseous with rectal DMT and Moclobemide? A wave of sudden nausea sounds more bearable than hours of clutching your stomach I got with the traditional brew.

Yeah - tho i took way too much dmt that time so it was an overdose realy - i still had exactly the same horrendous feling in my gut to barf. I was hoping anal would get round it.

Npw i just stick to 4 acodmt - no nausea and i actually think its better than standard oral dmt in every way, lasts a lot longer, smoother comeup and no maoi

No escape from the DMT purge then, maybe we just have incredibly deep rooted emotional trauma from past lives :p

And yeah I do love my little stash of 4acodmt and 4homet, so much more practical.

Another thing I was told by a hippie...'If you don't get any visions, and all you see is black with eyes closed, that means Ayahuasca has taken you to the moment you were in the womb, before you experienced anything'.

Ok.

And when I inquired: 'Why aren't I allowed to masturbate or have sex beforehand?'

Reply: 'Because the plants don't like the smell'.

Internal Bella dialogue: 'How do they know what my cum smells like? I'm not Harvey Weinstein jizzing in every plant pot I come across'.