Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

Why did we stop inventing gods?

Gnostic Bishop

Bluelighter
Why did we stop inventing gods?

The ancients were quite good at inventing new gods. Thebible shows that the Jews invented many gods before deciding that god could notbe defined and settled for “I am“, as the greatest expression of god. “I am” asspoken as a man.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJkNs512Lsk

Jews, in their oral tradition, gave man the last word inwhat god and his policies were to be. They accepted that the man they chose as headRabbi of their Divine council had the power to overrule their written tradition.Man’s words, not an imaginary god, had the final say on policy. Man was supremeand not one of the imaginary gods.

Christianity then changed much of the morals and policies oftheir newly invented god, Yahweh, and also transferred the power of god to aman. Jesus. Jesus was now placed at the power seat at the right hand of hisnewly invented god and placed Yahweh in the right hemisphere of the brain, asshown in the art of the day as depicted by Michelangelo in his creation paintingin the Vatican.

Islam then invented Allah, and so far, rightfully named himthe last god to be invented. Foolish but true to date.

I see that search for a god as a search for the best lawsand rules to live life by. After all, we cannot follow an imaginary god and canonly follow the laws and rules that those imaginary gods has spoken, recognizingof course, that only a person can speak those laws and rules and that it wasreally a wise person who was uttering those words.

Gnostic Christians always saw those invented gods,specifically Yahweh, Jesus and Allah, as immoral and not worthy of us and thatis why they named those gods as immoral and vile demiurges. This is not to saythat those demiurges did not have some good policies but only says that a bettergod could and should be invented. Gnostic Christianity lost the god wars and wasdecimated the moment Christianity gained political power which they used to endfreedom of religion.

Are immoral demiurges like Yahweh, Jesus and Allah, the bestthat mankind can come up with?

Why do you think we stopped inventing gods and settled fordemonstrably immoral ones?

Regards
DL

P.S. Gods are the opium of the people.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6uEMOeDZsA

I think because gods are a relic of the past. Back in the day all people had to explain what happened around them was all sorts of deities and such. Nowadays we can explain phenomena with science, so we have no need for superstition and gods. I think it may be that simple.

Why would we settle for an immoral god? Probably because organized religion is set up that way.

We aren't allowed to believe in any other god less we want to go to hell.

I know a person who believes the name of God is Anna. Interestingly- to me, this means "grace", and "favor" -- often associated with positively associated aspects of/with God.

This person is fully convinced of Anna. He found/developed a code called the ANA-code. He seems to derive communications from things and makes ANA-grams, from something. I have never figured out where exactly he is starting, or deriving his sample from. I never understood. That is partially my fault but I'm more hands on, and would prefer to be taught in person.

There are people, a somewhat of a following, that also read "code lines".

I have had experience that seems to give it some legitimacy, but I won't dig my heals in and try to present a story right now. I do think there is something to it, but I'm not sure... How to fit it or get to it.

Anyway, this is just to say that people do recognize other Gods, even new ones. And some of their stories, especially his, and how I came upon him, seem just as legitimate as other religions... Or more.

Why haven't they caught on? Well, the way the world developed. Way back when things weren't as solid as they are now. Things developed and were carried on. The refinements spread because in ways we have hit cultural bottlenecks at points perhaps. It was clearer in my head. ...But back when these Gods that we know of now were inferred or created from spirit/the world, I'm sure there were many more, that didn't survive, that weren't carried on, that didn't spread and become part of the structures of the societies that were "developed", with higher standards of living, greater stability (therefore supported the same 'language')... In a way, these other religions or Gods that survived, just happened by chance. That we praise Jesus instead of some other living and dying (and living) God. I say it happened by chance, but I don't mean that absolutely as ultimately I don't really believe in chance. I think everything is right where it belongs...

Not to mean we aren't somehow "free" to view things and try to find better ways... Or invent "better Gods"... I have no idea.

With stability that came about through our growth, Christianity and Islam happened to be what "settled" on some wide level.

Last edited:
Consider back when these Gods were first represented in their forms... Perhaps the next village spoke a different language and worshiped a god of a different name. And perhaps it was a days walk to get there, where today we could drive there in an hour... Or on horseback 3 or so (admittedly inaccurate). The organic nature that we lived in back then, with less tech, enhanced diversity in ways. And, there was more war. And places were conquered, and what worked was kept and carried on... Now, again, we speak the same language as a country we couldn't walk across in months...

Why aren't we thinking up new languages? We may be adding to this one, slowly. But the amount who speak the same, it is surely changing differently than it did. Surely, language is evolving, and so is our way we use our langauge... But, it is just solid in ways it wasn't before.

*I also have an issue with saying we "created" these Gods, as I don't really think humans have that much faculty. I think whatever we dreamed up, there can be causes in the lines found, before us. This goes with my thoughts of there not being chance, so to speak.

*I was curious about the laws/way to be, and how people come up with things, or consider God with these laws, and ways to be, and with the person who I brought up in the first post I made, with his God - I wondered what the law was for it. Well, the code has a focus on Pi. Pi (3.141592653589...) - the ratio of a circle's circumference to it's diameter. This number is in the "code" I talked about, that he found. He also uses 22/7, and I was attracted to this because I have come to the same number, as 227, and 2/27, for instance, as they are numbers that relate to my mother, and girlfriends, that I have had in association with them in mind for years. There is a theme of "smooth"ness to the "belief". The fluid way, the smooth way... lubrication, which goes with Christ (oil-anointed), as I've related.

Like the first poster said perhaps now we are using science to try to explain things more. We are changing in the way we are developing. I think at some point, it's possible more will be understood, and even our beliefs through our development (including in Christ) will be understood in ways where we won't judge them absolutely... as some may now.

Last edited:
Concerning morality... I don't really think you know what you're talking about. No matter what, currently, there is a primal truth that we can't really escape, and easily, we could fall to this level, and certain things may be found to work better in these baser levels. At extreme truths, it may actually be good for a woman to obey her husband... and for a woman to never hold a position of leadership, like leading a country, for instance. Perhaps. People pretend we're equal, and we think ourselves so highly because of "morals" of today, but why if we are equal do we have "mens" and "womens" Olympics events, and teams? The world today is propped up by a lot of stuff that can fall apart (read: fake). Again, I wouldn't be so quick to think so highly of us, or "how far we have come".

*Moses killed entire cities. Tribes killed entire towns for reasons we would call immoral (and he did it because he accused these towns of being immoral), and did it in the name of their idea, of their God, that was on their side. In a way, God was on their side, because they succeeded. How can we, in our region of "stability", now, judge these people? Even Moses, whose actions by today's standards would be detestable, in his ways, had his reasons. It was a different world. They couldn't really afford to give in. They couldn't afford to sacrifice some things. Perhaps we can't either, and there is a lot we aren't seeing, that we are letting go of. Perhaps we are just cowards.

Life is war, despite what people are often saying now. I really can't judge these people, absolutely.

Sorry for three-posting it.

Last edited:
Maybe we still do create them but they are unrecognizable to most of us. I think the reason that the past gods seem so lame to some of us is that we are not so easily fooled anymore so we need to create more sneaky ones. Maybe science is a new god for some. Just a guess.

Concerning morality... I don't really think you know what you're talking about. No matter what, currently, there is a primal truth that we can't really escape, and easily, we could fall to this level, and certain things may be found to work better in these baser levels. At extreme truths, it may actually be good for a woman to obey her husband... and for a woman to never hold a position of leadership, like leading a country, for instance. Perhaps. People pretend we're equal, and we think ourselves so highly because of "morals" of today, but why if we are equal do we have "mens" and "womens" Olympics events, and teams? The world today is propped up by a lot of stuff that can fall apart (read: fake). Again, I wouldn't be so quick to think so highly of us, or "how far we have come".

*Moses killed entire cities. Tribes killed entire towns for reasons we would call immoral (and he did it because he accused these towns of being immoral), and did it in the name of their idea, of their God, that was on their side. In a way, God was on their side, because they succeeded. How can we, in our region of "stability", now, judge these people? Even Moses, whose actions by today's standards would be detestable, in his ways, had his reasons. It was a different world. They couldn't really afford to give in. They couldn't afford to sacrifice some things. Perhaps we can't either, and there is a lot we aren't seeing, that we are letting go of. Perhaps we are just cowards.

Life is war, despite what people are often saying now. I really can't judge these people, absolutely.

Interesting perspective and I guess I agree. Schopenhauer might be in agreement with you also. Including the part about women.

GP, I've never actually seen you post one genuine, personal post. You always post for the agenda. It's not really the way to do it.

By the way, I can't really see myself obeying a husband, I have enough with driving my dad crazy.

I think because gods are a relic of the past. Back in the day all people had to explain what happened around them was all sorts of deities and such. Nowadays we can explain phenomena with science, so we have no need for superstition and gods. I think it may be that simple.

The supernatural gods are a relic of the past to you and I perhaps, but not to the billions who are the majority that still praise those immoral gods.

You might be thinking too simply on this and forgetting the tribal nature of religions. People seek fellowship and unfortunately they get it from immoral religions. Let's just thank all the gods that most people are more moral than their religions and gods.

Regards DL

Why would we settle for an immoral god? Probably because organized religion is set up that way.

We aren't allowed to believe in any other god less we want to go to hell.

Your last is true to some believers and their cults.

I do not agree with your answer as to why they settle for immoral gods though.

To them, their gods are the epitome of morality and that is why the mainstream religions can talk good people into doing evil and why they have used war instead of good deeds to grow their religions.

Regards
DL

I know a person who believes the name of God is Anna. Interestingly- to me, this means "grace", and "favor" -- often associated with positively associated aspects of/with God.

Rather like Gnostic Christians who called their god Good and their Jesus, Jesus the Good. Most of us want a good god even as most religions say that their god also creates evil. The deluded can twit their minds into pretzels way too easily.
This person is fully convinced of Anna. He found/developed a code called the ANA-code. He seems to derive communications from things and makes ANA-grams, from something. I have never figured out where exactly he is starting, or deriving his sample from. I never understood. That is partially my fault but I'm more hands on, and would prefer to be taught in person.

Perhaps that is how he is interpreting what his right hemisphere of his brain is giving him. That side seems to like symbols instead of language.
There are people, a somewhat of a following, that also read "code lines".

I have had experience that seems to give it some legitimacy, but I won't dig my heals in and try to present a story right now. I do think there is something to it, but I'm not sure... How to fit it or get to it.

I recommend the Gnostic Christian way.

Let me give you an old O.P. in case you agree.

I am a Gnostic Christian, Our beliefs are not whatChristianity says they are. We lost the God wars and they distorted our beliefsystem. The lies have been known since the findings of our scriptures and mythsat Nag Hammadi.

http://www.gnosis.org/naghamm/nhl.html

Gnostic Christianity is a teaching system from Jesus but notthe one the church ever dares to teach. It frees us from religion and that isof course not what religions want. They never want the student to graduate asthey might lose revenue and people.

Here is a bit of history as well as a nutshell version ofhow that freedom is gained.

Gnostic Christians are perpetual seekers after God. God hereI define as the best laws and rules to live life with.

We believe that those laws and rules, as Jesus said, arefound in our minds/hearts. I use the following to try to illustrate thisnotion. A bit of history and then a mindset and method to do what I promote.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oR02ciandvg&feature=BFa&list=PLCBF574D

The thinking shown below is the Gnostic Christian’s goal astaught by Jesus but know that any belief can be internalized to activate yourhigher mind.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alRNbesfXXw&feature=player_embedded

This method and mind set is how you become I am and brethrento Jesus, in the esoteric sense.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdSVl_HOo8Y

When you can name your God, I am, and mean yourself, youwill begin to know the only God you will ever find. Becoming a God is to becomemore fully human and a brethren to Jesus.

Anyway, this is just to say that people do recognize other Gods, even new ones. And some of their stories, especially his, and how I came upon him, seem just as legitimate as other religions... Or more.

More, I hope.
Why haven't they caught on? Well, the way the world developed. Way back when things weren't as solid as they are now. Things developed and were carried on. The refinements spread because in ways we have hit cultural bottlenecks at points perhaps. It was clearer in my head. ...But back when these Gods that we know of now were inferred or created from spirit/the world, I'm sure there were many more, that didn't survive, that weren't carried on, that didn't spread and become part of the structures of the societies that were "developed", with higher standards of living, greater stability (therefore supported the same 'language')... In a way, these other religions or Gods that survived, just happened by chance. That we praise Jesus instead of some other living and dying (and living) God. I say it happened by chance, but I don't mean that absolutely as ultimately I don't really believe in chance. I think everything is right where it belongs...

Not to mean we aren't somehow "free" to view things and try to find better ways... Or invent "better Gods"... I have no idea.

With stability that came about through our growth, Christianity and Islam happened to be what "settled" on some wide level.

I would not say chance. I would say they grew by war the moment they gained political power. That is what Christianity did after Constantine bought the church and how Mohammad grew his cult after initially being rejected by the peoples around him.

Regards
DL

Consider back when these Gods were first represented in their forms... Perhaps the next village spoke a different language and worshiped a god of a different name. And perhaps it was a days walk to get there, where today we could drive there in an hour... Or on horseback 3 or so (admittedly inaccurate). The organic nature that we lived in back then, with less tech, enhanced diversity in ways. And, there was more war. And places were conquered, and what worked was kept and carried on... Now, again, we speak the same language as a country we couldn't walk across in months...

Why aren't we thinking up new languages? We may be adding to this one, slowly. But the amount who speak the same, it is surely changing differently than it did. Surely, language is evolving, and so is our way we use our langauge... But, it is just solid in ways it wasn't before.

The world is moving to globalisation and that would include a common language. More languages around, the less people will know what the other is saying.

*I also have an issue with saying we "created" these Gods, as I don't really think humans have that much faculty. I think whatever we dreamed up, there can be causes in the lines found, before us. This goes with my thoughts of there not being chance, so to speak.

No argument that we build on what came before but mankind definitely created the notions of gods. We have just forgotten that those notions were of gods that were men.

*I was curious about the laws/way to be, and how people come up with things, or consider God with these laws, and ways to be, and with the person who I brought up in the first post I made, with his God - I wondered what the law was for it. Well, the code has a focus on Pi. Pi (3.141592653589...) - the ratio of a circle's circumference to it's diameter. This number is in the "code" I talked about, that he found. He also uses 22/7, and I was attracted to this because I have come to the same number, as 227, and 2/27, for instance, as they are numbers that relate to my mother, and girlfriends, that I have had in association with them in mind for years. There is a theme of "smooth"ness to the "belief". The fluid way, the smooth way... lubrication, which goes with Christ (oil-anointed), as I've related.

All laws and rules are created to insure the safety of the masses against those too young or immature in their thinking to recognize the things they should and should not do.
Like the first poster said perhaps now we are using science to try to explain things more. We are changing in the way we are developing. I think at some point, it's possible more will be understood, and even our beliefs through our development (including in Christ) will be understood in ways where we won't judge them absolutely... as some may now.

Yes. That is a situation that even the bible tries to thwart.
1 Thessalonians 5:21 Test all things; hold fast what isgood.

Gnostic Christians believe in that saying and even those who suffer apotheosis set the god they find aside, raise the bar of excellence and continue to seek god, as defined by the best rules and laws to live by, perpetually.

We seek god as one of the Jesus' said to do. Christians and Muslims have become idol worshipers of the gods they found instead.

Regards
DL

Even boxing and other violent sports have weight classes.

As to my morals, I think them better than yours if you think women so unequal that they should not lead and should kowtow to their husbands.

We are talking equality of opportunity and not outcome here. Equal before the law.

In a way. All sheeple are cowards who are afraid to go against ther tribal peers and they follow a motto of, my tribe, right or wrong.

No problem.

As to life being war. Not to most.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Oww4Ap3YZA

Regards
DL

Maybe we still do create them but they are unrecognizable to most of us. I think the reason that the past gods seem so lame to some of us is that we are not so easily fooled anymore so we need to create more sneaky ones. Maybe science is a new god for some. Just a guess.

Science cannot be sneaky as it is not accepted without replication and peer revue.

Politics on the other hand, is quite sneaky.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6uVV2Dcqt0&feature=player_embedded

Regards
DL

When I said science could be someone's religion I did not mean science is sneaky of itself but rather traditionally we don't see it as a religious belief system.

Largely because religion/mythology was a means to explain life in a world when our scientific understanding could not make meaning of.

tldr science killed God

Rather than seeing that one God is behind everything, and seeing everything as part of a whole, the world was divided into many other Gods in order to explain phenomena that have a singular Divine origin.

I don't see it as a science vs. God thing, because there was science before there was science; rather, it is an evolution in understanding of the creative force and intelligent principle behind the universe. Monotheist cultures tend to be a step forward from polytheistic ones, in a general way... though I've found in ritual practices it makes more sense to work with specific deities because they embody specific principles of the Divine. The other thing is that some of the Gods are actual living entities, and not just principles.

People are still inventing gods, they're just not catching on as much.

Yeah that's what I was thinking also. We just have strange new gods that don't seem like gods but serve at least some of the same functions/purposes. Like we may worship science or something along those lines.

People stopped inventing gods because as a species humans are becoming more intelligent. Religion only spread like it did because hundreds of years ago most people didn't have the intelligence to question things like gods and holy books.

G_b said:
Are immoral demiurges like Yahweh, Jesus and Allah, the bestthat mankind can come up with?

I think that these gods simply match the prevailing morality of the times they were invented in. Perhaps that is one reason, that morality has advanced and the notion of a moral god who does not intervene in the enormous difficulty of existence is a very tough sell.

I think that these gods represent the evolution of human spirtuality as we have become more communal and globalised. Initially when we were wanderers, we had a sort of pantheism, where spirits were isolated to certain local animals and significant landmarks in our hunting grounds. When we discovered agriculture and no longer came into touch with these animals/landmarks, we started to invent the disembodied pantheon of gods, with gods that mirrored specific, isolated parts of human existence, such as certain stars/astronomical features, weather, specific emotions or human ideals. Again though, there could have been conflict when humans societies encountered other human societies with their own, different pantheon. It seems logical that humans than strove for a kind of way of replacing all of those and so we gave birth to the monotheistic religions, most of which believe that their god is the One True God. Its like we refined our inventions as a species to an ideology which is totally dominant but also infinitely adaptable to the varieties of human culture. Rather than deities with very narrow remits, monotheistic religion usually describes both vague and generalised positive ideals of human interaction ("Love thy neighbour") as well as detailing exactly how one should conduct the mundane aspects of their lives (diet, clothing, gender roles, etc.) to ensure a kind of homogenous monoculture amongst participants. To me, it seems like our inventions became more and more humanlike.

I'm not sure where we could go after this. The next refinement could be a removal of the external deity and the creation of a sort of inner divinity shared equally by all humans. I guess that may be humanism.

All this is sppeculation of course. Needless to say.

People stopped inventing gods because as a species humans are becoming more intelligent. Religion only spread like it did because hundreds of years ago most people didn't have the intelligence to question things like gods and holy books.

Are we really getting more intelligent or are we simply gaining more knowledge? Humans still appear to make the same petty mistakes made throughout our holy books. Things don't seemed to have changed all that much.

^It's true.

After all, we are only standing upon the shoulders of giants. What becomes of us when the arms are lopped off and the giant cut down?

There are other gods out there, some very new. But mainstream, not so much.