• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

WHY did the doctor choose Valium vs other benzo

Bellsbee

Greenlighter
I was recently put on Valium 5 mg prn for anxiety / anxiety attacks / ppanxiety .

I don’t understand why they chose Valium because it didn’t change my
Anxiety it just made me feel anxiety with sedation . Other things I’ve been on beforehavent . I want advice as to how to get the doctor to listen to me without taking me off any benzo altogether . I was on Xanax and that took away symptoms without making me feel anxiety filled. Like now I’ll feel anxiety still and I want to take a nap but my anxiety is too high ( Valium) which was the current choice
. And how do I get them to listen . I want something that isn’t sedating - takes away a panic attack still/ and or anxiety . Can be taken everyday if it’s needed and than I’ll go a week or two without needing it . Anyways.just need some help getting them to listen . Or if anyone has any suggestions or other benzos etc.

We don't really do drug recommendations. All benzos cause sedation and the reason you may not have felt sedated with xanax is because you were used to it. This is something you should discuss with your doc. Next visit tell them that the valium isn't working and they might up the dose or switch you to another benzo.

All benzos will cause sedation so you are kind of SOL in that regard.

Falsified has got it. Unfortunately, it can really reflect negatively upon us when we advice people upon what to say or do in reference to their prescribing doctor. Don't worry though, as this is something that I truly believe you can figure out on your own if you put in just a little bit of leg-work. Basically, a cornerstone of most any drug of abuse centers around its duration of effect. Drugs with a shorter duration of effect typically afford more of a "punch". Think insufflating Cocaine versus smoking Crack. The latter is considered to be, and in practice is, much more prone to compulsive use for most people than the former. The same is true for most drugs.

So, Benzodiazepines work in a similar way for most people. The more "abuse-prone" Benzodiazepines are the shorter-acting ones, like Alprazolam (Xanax); Temazepam (Restoril); Triazolam (Halcion) etc. while the longer acting ones like Chlordiazepoxide (Librium); Clonazepam (Klonopin) and to a lesser extent Diazepam (Valium), which I consider to be somewhere in the middle on this spectrum. The longer-acting Benzodiazepines are often used for detoxification and are generally considered to be less prone to compulsive use.

That's a tip. With that information you should be able to figure out the situation. Let me know if you have any questions.

Struggling with the same question;why Valium.
Doc just put me on it and 20 mg does absolutely nothing.. asked to change to xanax but totally out of the question..why??!
For how long does 20 mg Valium show on a urine test? Anybody knows?