(answered) why can't I use tor and bl?

N

no more feds

I have a regular account but I want another to use for posts that are a bit self-incriminating. In other words, I want to reduce the chances of law enforcement causing me harm. Isn't that what this website is about?

Do this site allow alternative accounts? I am not sure

OP, you should start using a VPN. They are cheap and if you pick a good one you won't notice anything different about your browsing at all, you may even see a big increase in your P2P speeds. I recommend AirVPN. Tor is really only needed for... well.. doing things that it is expressly forbidden from talking about here lol. If you can't afford or don't want a vpn, just use a free web proxy or something. Depending on where you live though, it's highly unlikely LE is going to give a shit about anything you say here.

Is TOR not allowed here? Unless the admin's firewalled the TOR exit nodes how would anyone even know? Aren't there new exit nodes popping up all the time?

Unless all the TOR exit nodes are blocked there's no reason to use a VPN instead. Cheap is so expensive when compared to free, and I don't see speed factoring into it much. Personally, I use bluelight in the clear. If I ever want to post something that I'm not willing to have traced back to me I'll connect thru TOR and make a new account just for that. Given how rarely I'm going to be doing that TOR can be pretty darn slow and it won't really matter.

i've got tor running all the time it just comes on at startup never knew it was not allowed in here

Tor

Some of the tor exit nodes are blocked. I assume they were banned from access because an abusive member got on an admin's nerves while using that (or those, as the case might be) particular exit node. So the IP + account gets banned and nobody but tor users notice any difference. Certainly it doesn't keep the abusive, banned bluelighter off bluelight.

I really get upset sometimes when i'm trying to get some information off this forum and my tor IP is banned. Gets me fuming. Please, powerful ones, just put a form/report button on the same page that says your IP/you are banned. Then us innocent tor users can report to you that we're using tor and the IP you see with the report should be unbanned. That's be super swell! But I won't get my hopes up too high...

^ because a troublesome user would never think to contact us and say "i'm not a troublesome user"...

:)

alasdair

TorBonion: don't get upset, just click on the "use a new identity" button in vidalia. I'm pretty sure all that does is switch your exit node. You may have to restart your browser to make the connection to bluelight go thru the new node but I'm not sure on that, and of course you may need to do this multiple times to find an unblocked exit node. also, don't be a troublesome user. At least not troublesome to the BL staff. ;)

alasdair: I think what he was suggesting is that you provide a way for users to notify you that a particular banned IP is a TOR exit node. I'm no expert on TOR but I imagine you could look at the traffic and/or port scan the IP to verify that it is indeed a TOR exit node and not just some "troublesome user's" PC.

I'm actually most interested in how TOR could be used to end the drug war by simply eliminating the ability for our repressive governments to enforce prohibition. Imagine a world where every single person involved with illicit drugs switched entirely to TOR and mail order distribution. Seems like there'd be a huge drop in violence and with feedback systems there would be less misrepresentation and cutting of drugs. Sounds like excellent harm reduction to me, or at least the best we can hope for while waiting for legalization and regulation.

Perhaps something can be learned about the future of hidden service black markets by studying the evolution of ebay, amazon and craigslist. The similarities are kind of shocking and in many ways I'm more impressed with the black markets.

back to our regularly scheduled war for now tho...

I'm actually most interested in how TOR could be used to end the drug war by simply eliminating the ability for our repressive governments to enforce prohibition.

This is great, but some people just use it to act like a prick in anonymity.

For the record, you can browse the forum with TOR, but we place some restrictions on sign-up. The strength and nature of those restrictions is fluid, and is generally proportionate to whether we're getting more than our monthly quota of disgruntled web warriors.

KeyboardWarriors_875361.jpg

that would be really funny if it wasn't true. Look at China, Iran, Syria and occupied Palestine for some examples of places where saying certain things will make you a "person of interest" and perhaps be enough to have you disappear.

It happens in the US too. It's legal to execute someone for having a discussion that's deemed treasonous. There is a subject I was once interested in that could potentially be considered treasonous. I wanted to talk about it in a hypothetical, academic way but after some brief advice from an attorney I decided to keep my mouth shut. However, ideas really are bulletproof and I've never forgotten about it.

I've probably said far too much considering that I'm in the US and not using TOR right now, but whatever. The feds won't be able to torture me for too long before our coming robot overlords destroy all semblance of human hierarchy and government. I for one welcome them and look forward to a post-scarcity society. :)

fuck oppression. fuck murderers. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...lling-49-people-known-terrorist-Pakistan.html

This post will spark some debate, it's just based on my experiences working for a fairly large ISP. I have several subnets registered with ARIN, so, I'm not full of shit. We came under fire awhile back from a spamming companies actions. The feds got involved, it was a really big deal, and this is because TOR was used to submit the emails for relaying.

This is an expression by myself and is clearly an opinion of mine. It is not meant to offend anyone, I just discovered that BlueLight is blocking Tor. From my experience, site admins, such as myself, do this to keep the heat away because we've all seen what happens when the feds don't get answers... That's how it is at my company anyways. You cannot tell them Tor connected. But, the way around this is to just give them the address of the exit node and say you don't know it's tor and that you don't have the money or technology to block tor. The feds will force you to block tor if you don't. We went through a big issue with them back in 2010. Yeah, it was pretty harry. Blocking Tor saved us a lot of money in legal fees.

Anyway, let me start off with showing people why VPN's are simply dumb. They provide protection to noone. Anyone who thinks a VPN provider will stick their neck out to protect a $20/mo. user is simply not thinking clearly. Thats just stupid to think like that. \

"My free VPN will stand up for me and protect my civil liberties!!!" Uh, okay.

With some of the recent takedowns of people using VPN services I think it's important to open up TOR. VPN's ARE NOT SAFE.

http://www.atlantaitservice.com/cms...busted-by-hide-my-ass-vpn-service-ozhouse-alt

This really scares me that BlueLight is ANTY-TOR. Why? It scares me to even think of the answer, so, I'm prohibiting myself from thinking about it.

The list of Tor Exit Nodes is here:
http://exitlist.torproject.org/exit-addresses

So, it's super simple to know whether or not an exit-node is accessing the site. Super super simple.

Now, if the government need to be sure they could still arrest someone, they would simply promise protection as long as sites did not allow TOR. Since VPN's are super simple to track, let me clarify that, here is why VPN's are so simple to track:

Scenario 1: User on VPN:

User connects to BlueLight via VPN and expresses themselves freely and talks about the cure for cancer.
US Gov feels threatened and labels user a terrorist because ANY enemy of the USA is instantly called a terrorist. Ever notice that?
Anyway, so, the USA contacts BlueLight and threatens them, or threatens to seize their assets. The USA Gov also shows BlueLight a ton of evidence that the user was selling crack on BlueLight, and shows that the user hacked BlueLight and that the user shot several BlueLight members. The feds at this time shoot over a court order as well.
BlueLight realizes that those offences are bannable offences, especially the last one (shooting members), and is thinking about protecting the majority of users on the site vs just the one user, BlueLight decides to give the Feds the users IP.

So, the Fed's simply ring up the VPN company and tell them that the user has stolen all the credit cards from the web site, and sends them a court order. The VPN company explains that they don't keep logs, blah blah, blah. The feds point to the part of the court order where it says:
"Company MUST comply with the federal order to assist law enforcement, or client will be deemed in contempt or court and could face prosecution..."
The VPN provider enables logging on that account.
VPN provider sends the feds the IP of the user.
The feds do a quick Whois -x on the IP and get the ISP NOC contact and Company contact.

Then send a CID request to the NOC and Company contacts.

Now, under a CID it could take up to 30 days to get a response. But, with a federal case it's probably going to take 24-48 hours.

Once the ID is made, life is now over for the person who cured cancer. The pharma companies sigh relief, and the fuck the little guy revolution moves forward.

Scenario 2, User is in control of his safety, user uses Tor
Ok, this scenario is a short one because the USER IS IN CONTROL OF HIS SAFETY. NOTHING IS TRUSTED TO A THIRD PARTY. PERIOD.

Okay, you have both scenarios. As you can see, it's clearly dangerous for a user to have to trust a third party with their freedom. Whether it be a website, or a VPN provider. Why on earth do we have to constantly trust someone else with our freedom from the law???

The USA imprisons more people than anywhere else in the world. I'm sure they've threatened many website operators to stop accepting tor traffic as it is the only thing they cannot prosecute.

Users need to unite, and take their freedom into their own hands. They need to stop trusting everyone else to keep them out of prison, they need to trust themselves and use tor.

Anyway, I appreciate you letting me post the truth, having been in networking for a long long time, I can tell you that I've responded to dozens of LE requests over the years. I know first hand how severe they get when you don't have answers. So, I realize that with Tor you wouldn't have answers and that would really piss off the government. At least with VPN traffic you just send them to the VPN company and this means no heat for BlueLight, but, while saving a lot of trouble for BlueLight, the user goes to jail. But, I understand it. When I worked in a NOC, if we had to tell the LE people that the user was using TOR, they would have kicked down our doors and thrown me in jail, so, I totally understand, I really do.

But, isn't there a way around this because your sight is in Russia? I know us jurisdiction counts in Russia from those mob trials, so I already know what your going to say, but, at the same time, there must be a way.

Anyway, long live freedom of speech, I love that we have a place to express. Thanks for a wonderful place.

You can't use Tor to register an account on BL, but once your account is registered you can use Tor when logging in. If we didn't do it this way, then banned users could simply use Tor to create a new account and bypass the ban.

Cops don't wanna waste their time with the piddely-poo-butt shit that goes on around here. They just wanna steal the big $$$$ so they can give offerings into their golden pig god and feel like they actually achieved something in their miserable career before they shoot themselves and float off to piggy heaven.

those of you signing into bl on tor, i hope you realize that anyone running an exit node can sniff your username and password to this site and take over your account - this goes for any site that requires signing into (outside of hidden services, in which case your traffic doesn't need to be dumped out to the regular internet via an exit node).

I have never been scared and dumbfounded as much as i am right now! i am so god damned ignorant to what i just read! i am a noob just browsing trying to learn where i post this or post that. sorry i stumbled into this thread, just for my sake. I hope the rest of bluelight is easier to savvy than what i just read! lol. ill be going to another place to read the rules now. see ya,
notsureanymore

Tor Browser Support?

I'd like to register, but I use the Tor Browser (https://www.torproject.org)
I get the following message:

Registration denied!
The system you are using is not allowed to register on this site. Try using a different browser, or maybe stop hiding behind a proxy. Please contact us via the "Contact Us" page link if you believe this is in error.

Is it prohibited to register if using the Tor Browser?