• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

why can't i handle weed?

gill7777

Greenlighter
i've done almost every drug under the sun (except psychedelics) over and over and over again, but for some reason i cant seem to handle weed when im sober. meaning, if im not drunk or on xanax before smoking weed, i never have a good high. i am so inside my head when i'm high. i think about everything i do and say, and second guess myself. needless to say i get loads of anxiety when im stoned and it just puts me in a bad place. but why does this happen?

throughout high school and a bit after, i only smoked under strict circumstances; with my best friends at the end of the night or if i was on xanax or an opiate. cannot smoke when im out. like if i'm at a party, if i smoke weed i just wanna go home and not be around people. i gave up on weed last year, but every now and then i'll take a hit or two and its just the same thing..

lol i smoked everyday for ten years... took a break for a couple months and took one hit awhile back and i was talkin to myself and shit... idk i guess you just gota know how to handle it... and mabe some less potent weed would help also... seriouslly the shit around now a days is just absurd... like if its not the most amazing shit every to see day light then ppl dont even wana fuck w it...

also you know weed is a psych right??

Dude! Me too. Everyone I know is so into weed and it almost never does anything good for me. I don't get it. The only time it's ever enjoyable is when I'm coming off of Adderall or opiates. If I smoke sober or when I'm drunk, I just get paranoid or I drown in my own head.

Some people just can't handle THC.

If you have to be on benzodiazepines or booze in order to enjoy weed then it just isn't worth doing at all IMO

Marijuana is strange in the way that if your mind thinks you're going to have a good high, you'll have a good high and vice versa.

Assuming it's not just a bad luck with strains in your area, you're probably overthinking smoking when you do. Try smoking less (a hit or two) and wait 20 minutes to see if it's kicked in. I know if I smoke when I'm in a shitty mood, it just makes my mood worse. If you're feeling shitty from it, stop smoking and wait until you're in a better mood (or even alone! everyone is different when it comes to where and when they like to get high :p) I think smoking is kinda like shrooms in the regard that if your day is good, your high is good. If you're always stressed out and marijuana's relaxation doesn't calm you down...you'll be in for a shitty, stressful/anxious high. At least that's how it works for me :)

Hope I could help! I'm sorry to hear that you've had bad experiences. Good luck and be safe :D

I don't like the way people say "some people just can't handle weed".

It basically is a way of saying "some people are just too much of a pussy to handle weed" which is kinda harsh.

The truth of the matter is, I often feel the same way and the number of people who feel this way is probably a VERY large percentage, who knows HOW large, but certainly a large percentage.

I get the same way these days although it hasn't always been that way and I smoked daily for years and often just "smoked through" the negative thoughts and kept going anyway but the way I feel for me is...some psychedelics cause you to reflect on your life and can give you a bad trip if you aren't living your life properly.

Well...when I have smoked weed in the past I pretty much need to either be living my life almost 100% correctly to my current view of things without anything bad having happened recently or I at least need to have had an extremely good day or past few days when I smoke so I have nothing negative to think about...and then if life is going really well I feel great when I smoke.

Otherwise, if I am unhappy with my life or anything I've said or done recently then unless I'm drunk when I smoke I will most likely endlessly ruminate.

It's not so much "paranoia" as a negative cycle of thoughts about things I'm unhappy about that I need to change so that I can't enjoy my high.

One solution that sometimes works for me is getting REALLY into something I'm doing when high, especially listening to music since that is a passion of mine, and sometimes that gets rid of the negative thoughts.

Also, people say it has a lot to do with tolerance and I have found when I smoked more I got fewer negative thoughts and people also say strains higher in CBD make you less paranoid.

But really, weed causing negative thoughts and/or paranoia is nothing new and I think we already pretty much know that it's one of the most common side effects it has.

There's probably something about THC in particular that causes it to react that way for some people that we just don't understand full yet.

Personally I LOVE smoking when drunk and will continue to do so but will generally avoid smoking sober.

Last edited:
I don't like the way people say "some people just can't handle weed".

It basically is a way of saying "some people are just too much of a pussy to handle weed" which is kinda harsh.

That's the ego gratification of some stoner. There are plenty of people who react well to 10+ hits of acid and are normally not anxious people but weed will cause a horrible panic attack. It's the physical reaction of the body some people don't agree with it. Weed can cause extreme negative reactions and it's pretty random - the #1 factor is if you have abused it in the past though, that it can change the way the brain reacts to it. So you will find lots of people who can't "handle" weed anymore but used to smoke it all day every day. If you can "handle" being a pothead, that's nothing to be proud of. It's not like people who don't smoke weed are jealous of you for smoking some unhealthy shit.

I don't think there's any value judgment attached to not being able to handle THC. I'm sorry, but if you have a panic attack every time you smoke weed, you can't handle the drug. IMO it's neither a positive or a negative, it's just a fact. Along the lines of me not being able to handle eating brussell sprouts.

Lots of people cant. Youre probably getting TOO high. I cant handle weed either.

If you arent enjoying then no point in smoking. Try taking just one hit and relaxing.

Actually, now that i thought about it, i dont think anyone enjoys/handles well powerful doses of weed, perhaps we who 'cant handle' it are just very sensitive. Either this or im in denial.

That's the ego gratification of some stoner.... If you can "handle" being a pothead, that's nothing to be proud of. It's not like people who don't smoke weed are jealous of you for smoking some unhealthy shit.

I agree with this 100%, its like some high school dick sizing BS. Its the same thing with alcohol in college, its as if those with bad habits need to glorify themselves. Does it really "make you a better person" if you can drink a lot without passing out or smoke 10 blunts and do whatever, the answer is no not at all.

Also try a vaporizer. When I used cannabis I found the high from a vape to be very psychedelic, and not as confusing even when I used it after having zero tolerance. With edibles be careful you don't eat too much.

I know older people who don't like the very high THC strains of herb since it's way too powerful compared to the herb they smoked in the 70s and 80s, or 90s before excellent very high THC strains of herb were widely available.

I am exactly like that when I smoke, inside my own head and antisocial, but I still love smoking. You just have to find a setting that works for you and some things that you like to do that will be enhanced while high. I know smoking is a social activity, but it completely shuts me down, socially, so I indulge alone or with a small group of close friends. I definitely get the social anxiety aspect of weed and that's why I try to avoid complicated social interactions when I'm high. Its funny as I know people who find it completely the opposite.