• Welcome Guest

Forum Guidelines Bluelight Rules
    Fun 💃 Threads Overdosed? Click
    D R U G   C U L T U R E

Why can certain users handle their drug use with responsibility while many can't?

LightBlue_89

Bluelighter
I'm a vivid drug user and I don't see anything wrong with using drugs. I perceive it as long as you know your limits, behave responsibility and don't hurt others in the process. I'm sure a whole lot of y'all might have stories, heard or experienced it first hand to see how people react and behave differently while under the influence. I've seen it with my experiences. I've seen people fall in life because they lacked control, behave like idiots and let the drug get the best out of them. I call them "amo" for amateurs.

I only know a few that can handle their usage responsibility. They are educated, intelligent and functioning people of society with jobs. They pay their bills and taxes on time, are upright citizens and hold onto their values and integrity. It's a certain and rare few that can handle usage responsibility, while many are likely to fall victim and let addiction get the best of them.

Why can some handle their drugs of choice with responsibility, while many others can't? Do you think it's a personality trait, genetics, knowledge or experience that plays a factor?

What do you think?

Last edited:
When it comes down to it I believe everyone has potential to overcome addiction.

What's different, maybe motivations, perspectives, things like that.

*vivid -> avid

That is a tough one I must argue with. Not everyone is the same and has the mental strength and will power to do it.

Besides, they have to do it themselves. No one else is going to do it for you.

Well, I believe you can overcome.

As for others, do you have stock in Pfizer or something?

Well, I believe you can overcome.

As for others, do you have stock in Pfizer or something?

Only a certain few mate. I speak on my experience, not everyone. Because, not everyone is strong willed or has the willpower and discipline to do it. I say this, because I have a relative and friend who have lost their minds completely. Different effects for different people I guess.

My choice is adderall.

Modern addiction ideology presents the idea that addiction is based on both genetic and environmental factors. Both nature and nurture. I've found this to be true. People that become addicts struggle with both a mental obsession regarding drugs, and a physical compulsion to continue use despite negative consequences. Some people simply don't contend with the obsession and compulsion factors.

For example, I've seen plenty of people hold onto an 8ball of cocaine, or any amount, for some period of time. Not me personally. If I have any cocaine on me, I'm doing it til it's gone. But I could hold onto, and ration opioids a lot better, to some extent. But even then, I'm going to use the opioids a lot more compulsively then the next man who's not an addict of any kind. Different people are predisposed to different substances based on their internal chemistry. Some people just don't contend with the obsession and compulsion factors, and that's the difference between a normal recreational user and an addict.

It's not a matter of willpower. They can't control how their mind works.

It's a choice to use, but being an addict is not a choice.

I think some people go over the top just because the can. Especially us Scots. We're mad for it, ken?

Modern addiction ideology presents the idea that addiction is based on both genetic and environmental factors. Both nature and nurture. I've found this to be true. People that become addicts struggle with both a mental obsession regarding drugs, and a physical compulsion to continue use despite negative consequences. Some people simply don't contend with the obsession and compulsion factors.

For example, I've seen plenty of people hold onto an 8ball of cocaine, or any amount, for some period of time. Not me personally. If I have any cocaine on me, I'm doing it til it's gone. But I could hold onto, and ration opioids a lot better, to some extent. But even then, I'm going to use the opioids a lot more compulsively then the next man who's not an addict of any kind. Different people are predisposed to different substances based on their internal chemistry. Some people just don't contend with the obsession and compulsion factors, and that's the difference between a normal recreational user and an addict.

Thank you for your insight. I never really thought of it that way. It made more sense to try and understand it from a psychology's point of view, to decrease my ignorance of what I couldn't comprehend and relate to. Everyone is built different I guess.

How isn't it a matter of will power if they can't control how their mind works? Like, aren't we fully aware of the current now and our actions that have consequences? That shows mental weakness in one, doesn't it? If there is no self-control.

Last edited:
Like, aren't we fully aware of the current now and our actions that have consequences? That shows mental weakness in one, doesn't it? If there is no self-control.

You must be a robot?

If not, I'm sure you would be able to answer your own question

Thank you for your insight. I never really thought of it that way. It made more sense to try understand it from a psychology's point of view, to decrease my ignorance of what I couldn't comprehend and relate to. Everyone is built different I guess.

How isn't it a matter of will power if they can't control how their mind works? Like, aren't we fully aware of the current now and our actions that have consequences? That shows mental weakness in one, doesn't it? If there is no self-control.
Well, that's kind of a philosophical question and will vary depending on who's answering and on their understanding of addiction. Most addicts can understand the consequences of their actions, they just don't care. It's as simple as that. Using/drinking feels good and it takes them away from their troubles for a little bit. If they're not doing any work on their inner selves, their traumas, character defects, and tendencies towards self destruction, the more likely it is for them to put themselves into a cycle of drug abuse.

I guess you could consider that a weakness of the mind, but I think there's more to it than that. Just depends on how strongly you believe in free will or the universality of the mind.

The first understanding of addiction was as a moral failing/weakness, then it was the disease model, and now we've moved on to the harm reduction model. I think you have to understand all of those concepts to have an understanding of the reality of it.

Well, that's kind of a philosophical question and will vary depending on who's answering and on their understanding of addiction. Most addicts can understand the consequences of their actions, they just don't care. It's as simple as that. Using/drinking feels good and it takes them away from their troubles for a little bit. If they're not doing any work on their inner selves, their traumas, character defects, and tendencies towards self destruction, the more likely it is for them to put themselves into a cycle of drug abuse.

I guess you could consider that a weakness of the mind, but I think there's more to it than that. Just depends on how strongly you believe in free will or the universality of the mind.

The first understanding of addiction was as a moral failing/weakness, then it was the disease model, and now we've moved on to the harm reduction model. I think you have to understand all of those concepts to have an understanding of the reality of it.
Yeah, that's true. They are fully aware of their consequences and actions, they just don't give a damn, not even a single care of their character and reputation that they tarnish with it and how people would perceive of them. Stereotypes exist for a reason in society, the word 'addict' has a negative stigma to it, when you hear it, we are told to stay clear from them because of the potential danger they can possess. It's a natural reaction.

What stings the most is that they are willing throw away their values and integrity, simply, because they can't help it.

Many lives are ruined, relationships and friendships are ruined because of the dishonesty, manipulation, lying and stealing from their trusted ones... because they can't help it.

Last edited:
OP - Human to human, if your relatives are suffering, do your best not to shame them

My lack of understanding and ignorance was what led me to my resentment. I thought I knew it all and had the answers, but I didn't. It wasn't until one of my eldest siblings that gave me an enlightment on it.

It is genetics, not mental strength when it comes to alcohol. With perscription drugs, such as opiods and benzos, the only issue with me in 7+ years of use is tolerance. I will not publicly confirm or deny any illegal drug use.
I will say I have known many drug addicts and users who love drugs. I do not. Nicotine and a brief physical addiction to caffeine.( alot of coffee.)
However alcohol( before I got allergic to it; had me almost instantly. That is all I thought or cared about; to the point of being non functional. I can't describe it very well other than alcohol owned me. It got real bad; real quick. This was not me escaping pain until I became physically addicted also. Whatever I may have tried and the meds I am prescribed, abusing them isn't something I enjoy. I am picking up my oxycodone script and after 8 years I get one more( I was on morphine er 24/7 to fight pancreatitus and didn't need it anymore and quit) the one more and comfort meds were to help but since it was needed for pain and I have no affinity to opiods it was easy to get off, of) I have extras this month.
I dare not quit, I am in pain and a low dose still works, but my pancreas and liver( I have had cirrhosis for 8+years) are now giving me more trouble.
The benzos, they help me but I would quit today, except it would probably kill me. I only take 3 x10mgs a day of Valium(diazepam), I used it to get off Lorazepam(Ativan). They help me with a myriad of problems.
As far as many other drugs, the thought and/or feeling of being not in control is a hugh turn off.
Stimulants aren't something that appeals to me. ( Yes I drank extremely large amounts of coffee when I briefly quit drinking along time ago) the headache and trying to get away from my physical need was a nightmare.
I have a physiological hatred of stimulants, hallucinogens and dissociative drugs.
I have known heavy drug users who hate alcohol. I can only dream about being young and my good times drinking, even though it nearly killed me, ruined my life and am now allergic to alcohol.
It varies from person to person. Most people can handle alcohol, not me. I guess a lot has to do with some drugs, fighting off withdrawals and others, from what I have seen, are obsessed with hard drugs. They just are at war with sobriety. The physiological effects and in some cases and others physical withdrawal has control of them.
It seems with different people drugs are used for various reasons. Some use drugs to deal with pain, many just want to get high.
I think it has to do with genetics and will power

It is genetics, not mental strength when it comes to alcohol. With perscription drugs, such as opiods and benzos, the only issue with me in 7+ years of use is tolerance. I will not publicly confirm or deny any illegal drug use.
I will say I have known many drug addicts and users who love drugs. I do not. Nicotine and a brief physical addiction to caffeine.( alot of coffee.)
However alcohol( before I got allergic to it; had me almost instantly. That is all I thought or cared about; to the point of being non functional. I can't describe it very well other than alcohol owned me. It got real bad; real quick. This was not me escaping pain until I became physically addicted also. Whatever I may have tried and the meds I am prescribed, abusing them isn't something I enjoy. I am picking up my oxycodone script and after 8 years I get one more( I was on morphine er 24/7 to fight pancreatitus and didn't need it anymore and quit) the one more and comfort meds were to help but since it was needed for pain and I have no affinity to opiods it was easy to get off, of) I have extras this month.
I dare not quit, I am in pain and a low dose still works, but my pancreas and liver( I have had cirrhosis for 8+years) are now giving me more trouble.
The benzos, they help me but I would quit today, except it would probably kill me. I only take 3 x10mgs a day of Valium(diazepam), I used it to get off Lorazepam(Ativan). They help me with a myriad of problems.
As far as many other drugs, the thought and/or feeling of being not in control is a hugh turn off.
Stimulants aren't something that appeals to me. ( Yes I drank extremely large amounts of coffee when I briefly quit drinking along time ago) the headache and trying to get away from my physical need was a nightmare.
I have a physiological hatred of stimulants, hallucinogens and dissociative drugs.
I have known heavy drug users who hate alcohol. I can only dream about being young and my good times drinking, even though it nearly killed me, ruined my life and am now allergic to alcohol.
It varies from person to person. Most people can handle alcohol, not me. I guess a lot has to do with some drugs, fighting off withdrawals and others, from what I have seen, are obsessed with hard drugs. They just are at war with sobriety. The physiological effects and in some cases and others physical withdrawal has control of them.
It seems with different people drugs are used for various reasons. Some use drugs to deal with pain, many just want to get high.
I think it has to do with genetics and will power
My gf had early stages of cirrhosis and liver failure before she passed away. It was really tough and hard to see. Alcohol is a cruel mistress, for sure. All drug classes have given me issues in the past, but alcohol seems the easiest for me to slip back into. That and cocaine. Both seem more innocuous to me and it'd be really hard to turn down, were it right in my face. A lot of times when I've been trying to get sober, I'll slip right up and get some booze, and then I'm off to the races.

Spot on. 👍 I've always liked the comparison between addiction and ocd, seems the most apt that a person who hasn't actually been through addiction might be able to relate to. Also seen time and again individuals who can exercise the most discipline and self control with any drug or substance, then they try that one, whatever it be, that just grabs hold and takes them down.

Absolutely not a matter of willpower, I've had instances where I'm literally speaking aloud to myself, "I don't want to do this, why am I doing this, I hate this, this is fucking stupid..." but couldn't stop myself, not without the cognitive tools I lacked at the time.

I don't believe there's any one underlying cause for addiction, it can develop in individuals without a genetic predisposition, and individuals with said predisposition won't necessarily inevitably become addicts at some point during their lives. I also believe that SOME addicts can learn to live with their substance in a moderate usage pattern. In the rooms, a common analogy tossed around compares addiction to diabetes, with the point that it can't be cured, but it can be managed.

Tell you what, you show me a diabetic who never, ever, EVER has even the tiniest taste of sugar, and I'll show you a miserable motherfucker.

Depends on why people use the drugs they use.

I use drugs to overcome mental health issues & to function better. They are vital to my existence & well-being, so therefore I don't go too overboard with them (although I take them every day). I've never once overdosed in my life & I've been an opioid addict for 16+ years, plus a poly-drug addict for 25+ years.

Some people use drugs to self destruct rather than function. And they'll use to "just get fucked up bro!". These are the types of people who will have the most troubles, cause they're not using for good reasons, nor are they the type to care about educating themselves about the drugs they use.

I think it's more complex than that, but that's just one example of the varying differences there are when it comes to people who use drugs, why they use them & how they handle themselves & the drug.