Why bother staying sober?

Jmr828

Bluelighter
This fucking sucks ass. Its been 8 days and I realize that life is shit sober. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. Might as well do. Stupid fucking vivatrol shot. Guess back to cocaine for a bit.. Life does not get better, only worse. Wish I had not allowed myself to believe the allusion of how much better life is sober. Who in their right mind would choose to live in the reality of this fucked up world?
At least I learned a great lesson.
Life sucks, sucks much less when your fucked up.

I totally agree, I have always wanted to have my mental state under some sort of chemical. I have been sober before for about 1.5 years. For me nothing happened that would be considered positive. Still made bad decisions and I am at the point where all the chemicals aren't relieving the utter failure that is my life.

If you dont mind my asking, what is it that makes you feel as though your life is failure? You have some qualities about you, in my opinion that you are the most important to have: caring and compassion. You also dont sit in judgement and give great advice. Seems to me you are far from a failure. Plus you made it 1.5 sober. That by no means is a small accompaniment.
That is exactly my point, I seem to make disastrous choices sober or not. What is the point of suffering through it all with such clarity.

Hey thanks for the kind words. I have been in some awesome business situations and I have lost all of them due my drug addictions. Every time I think back to those days it hurts a fuckload. So I guess I use that as an excuse to keep using. Anyways my family adopted me when I was three days old. I cannot stress enough how lucky I was to be adopted by a loving family. Unfortunately I am a disappointment to them and I know they are embarrassed of me. Which all of this is well deserved, I have had opportunity after opportunity and I can't stay straight. Not trying to sound like a crybaby it's just extremely difficult to deal with sometimes.

Wow, believe me as I can feel your pain in regards to the business situation. I felt that hard. Dont beat yourself up. You are only human and we all fuck up. Adoped at 3 days? Does that cause any type of issue in your life? You are lucky to have a good family. Growing up, I come from a rowdy bunch, lots of addiction problems. Expectations were pretty low. I can imagine you feel guilty? They are your family and im sure they love you regardless.

You're only 8 days in. Your brain is going to be on a rollercoaster for the next 6 months at least while your neurotransmitters try to regain equilibrium. Yeah life does suck sometimes. I had a rough week with about $2k in unexpected car repair expenses and rental cars. There goes that Caribbean vacation I was planning in September. Life just blows sometime. But it blows less not drinking myself into the hospital, not going thru the motions at another rehab, not getting arrested et. al. I was pretty lucky in that about five months sober, I moved into my own condo after living for a year in a shitbox garage apartment which I wasn't even in half the time because it was so depressing I'd rather hang out with homeless guys drinking tall boys out of paper bags behind the Indian-owned convenience store in my old neighborhood. As my ex girlfriend said, "I was homeless with a home." Anyway, at the time I got sober, I had no idea that my life was going to improve to the point where I'd be a homeowner again in the near future, but I figured that it was not going to get better as long as I abused alcohol and drugs.

Anyway, I made this post not to be preachy but because I saw a post you made in sober living about your high hopes for your Vivitrol shot. Once you get on the other side of six months, being sober just kind of becomes the natural order of things.

Man,that Vivitrol must be hell,blocking
endophekelains too.
Doc trying to stick me that would have
it in his forehead!
I always felt i am better off
with daily M.ER,i worked and
Lived nearly 5years clean as fuck
after just making it after flatlining
with kidneys wrecked etc.
Made it out,after a year of Doc horror
storys and REALLY TRIED.
My anxiety etc got me back.
Truly believe my beta-endorphin
levels are too low since birth.
Considering my“great“childhood
I wouldnt wonder.
Best of luck,
Mo

man this is sad... just another personal testimony on how that vivitrol shit is garbage and does nothing but torment the addict. I remember a few years ago parents and doctors tried pushing that shit on me and I refused because I knew it does more harm then good.

Take my advice, get off that shit. Wait until its time for your next shot- maybe you are under the influence of your parents- call their bluff they won't throw you out, I don't know why you would agree to be put on this shit. Maintenance programs like subs and meth are the only treatment that works LONG TERM. Vivitrol is cancer...

Man,that Vivitrol must be hell,blocking
endophekelains too.
Doc trying to stick me that would have
it in his forehead!
I always felt i am better off
with daily M.ER,i worked and
Lived nearly 5years clean as fuck
after just making it after flatlining
with kidneys wrecked etc.
Made it out,after a year of Doc horror
storys and REALLY TRIED.
My anxiety etc got me back.
Truly believe my beta-endorphin
levels are too low since birth.
Considering my“great“childhood
I wouldnt wonder.
Best of luck,
Mo
Best of luck to you too! 5 years is a long time.

man this is sad... just another personal testimony on how that vivitrol shit is garbage and does nothing but torment the addict. I remember a few years ago parents and doctors tried pushing that shit on me and I refused because I knew it does more harm then good.

Take my advice, get off that shit. Wait until its time for your next shot- maybe you are under the influence of your parents- call their bluff they won't throw you out, I don't know why you would agree to be put on this shit. Maintenance programs like subs and meth are the only treatment that works LONG TERM. Vivitrol is cancer...

I am on the vivatrol shot because of alcohol. I have known many people going through withdrawal from heroin and I feel, really my cravings and want for alcohol are nonsense in comparison to what you go through. For me, it is more of a companion per say. I'm 35 so no definitely not under the influence of my parents. It's more like, husband. Bullied, blackmailed and brain washed into it.
Good luck to you!

I wasn't going to say anything about Vivitrol given that it has been a godsend for some people on here, but I got kicked out of an outpatient program rather than take the shot. The pdoc at the outpatient was giving me oral naltrexone (50mg) and it made me dopesick as shit: sudden waves of nausea, cold chills, profuse sweating, you name it. So I didn't take it, and when I came clean with my treatment team that I had gone on an alcohol bender, they made the ultimatum that I had to get the Vivitrol shot or I was out. So I chose to leave.

If you really want to stop the alcohol and drugs, there are other ways of going about it. I never got the shot and while I do occasionally attend meetings, I am hardly the model 12 stepper. I basically go just to see friends. I don't work steps, I don't have (or want) a sponsor and I don't read that piece of garbage that is the Big Book (I gave my copy to one of the homeless dudes I used to drink with) but I stay sober. I see you are in Florida. The last place I went to in Orlando (I live in O-town) is not 12 step based and they have a top notch therapists and psychiatrists. The therapist there was the first person who gave me a useful "toolbox" and the psychiatrist there hit the nail right on the head with my undiagnosed depression and put me on a SSRI. Everyone is a unique case, but for me, being on an antidepressant and feeling better eliminated the need to self-medicate.

You're only 8 days in. Your brain is going to be on a rollercoaster for the next 6 months at least while your neurotransmitters try to regain equilibrium. Yeah life does suck sometimes. I had a rough week with about $2k in unexpected car repair expenses and rental cars. There goes that Caribbean vacation I was planning in September. Life just blows sometime. But it blows less not drinking myself into the hospital, not going thru the motions at another rehab, not getting arrested et. al. I was pretty lucky in that about five months sober, I moved into my own condo after living for a year in a shitbox garage apartment which I wasn't even in half the time because it was so depressing I'd rather hang out with homeless guys drinking tall boys out of paper bags behind the Indian-owned convenience store in my old neighborhood. As my ex girlfriend said, "I was homeless with a home." Anyway, at the time I got sober, I had no idea that my life was going to improve to the point where I'd be a homeowner again in the near future, but I figured that it was not going to get better as long as I abused alcohol and drugs.

Anyway, I made this post not to be preachy but because I saw a post you made in sober living about your high hopes for your Vivitrol shot. Once you get on the other side of six months, being sober just kind of becomes the natural order of things.

I know, I keep having the severe roller coaster effect. Excited, hopeful and ready for this and the next day a disaster. I'm off my bipolar meds so that's probably not helping either. I'm really sorry you had a rough week with your car. Look at it this way... At least you still have a car.
September is a few months away, maybe you will hit the lottery. Don't count that vacation out yet. I know drinking causes problems, like you I have not had legal issues. I should have more times than I can count but was lucky. I just miss it. It sorta became my best friend. I didn't take this post as preachy at all. It's inspiration. You did really good and I hope maybe someday I can say the same.
*I have hung around some homeless people too. I like them.