• Welcome Guest

Forum Guidelines Bluelight Rules
    Fun 💃 Threads Overdosed? Click
    D R U G   C U L T U R E

Why are there so many different kinds of opioids?

NeoLid

Bluelighter
There are hundreds of opioids the can be prescribed by doctor's and are prescribed by the doctors(maybe 100s is phishing it a bit but alot).

Okay I can get the fact that we need maybe a few different ones. A weak opioid for mild pain, a strong opioid for sever pain, and maybe fentanyl patches for relief of intense pain for days. Also bupe or methadone for addiction.

Like I feel like we only need:
Demerol
Oxycodone
Oxymorphone
Fentanyl
Suboxone/methadone

So my question is why are there so many different kinds of opioids that doctors can prescribe which the only difference is potency?

The reason we have so many as you put it is the same reason we have different type of trees oak, yew its called nature and balance btw i think your list is silly and potenially damaging as codeine is not on there and that is what I take so what about me huh? Seriously though you should leave it to the real experts half opiods are man made and opiates are natural, codeine is natural so is paracetamol let us take moments silence to appreciate this substance.. Cheers

Btw what opiates/ds do you do?

Last edited by a moderator:
Might be waiting a while for a reply mate... this forum is quite dead in case you haven't noticed their are more mods than memebrs... No wonder i keep posting in loops its not the mods fault i guess everyone moved on but this site used to be hot in the day i hope its like that again because im running out of old threads to read.

..sorry to take off topic ill answer your question as compatence (fuckthegrammarpolicee)

The reason we have so many as you put it is the same reason we have different type of trees oak, yew its called nature and balance btw i think your list is silly and potenially damaging as codeine is not on there and that is what I take so what about me huh? Seriously though you should leave it to the real experts half opiods are man made and opiates are natural, codeine is natural so is paracetamol let us take moments silence to appreciate this substance.. Cheers

Btw what opiates/ds do you do?
Currently smoking fentanyl, and btw codeine is the dumbest drug out there, its a pro drug for morphine and is not active in itself. The body first metabolizes codeine into morphine, which then the morphine is what gets you high. But the only problem is the enzyme that metabolize codeine not everyone has the same amount, there are even conditions which make people have an extreme amount or of this enzyme or very little, which (like 1 in 10 people i think) could be problematic as someone could od on the same dose that another person might not even feel. This is especially dangerous because codine is give to very young kids and a child might easily od and die. My point is a knowen dose of codeine is an unknown dose of morphine.

Even certain foods you eat or other drugs you do might be metabolized by that enzyme, leaving less it to convert the codeine into morphine, leaving you with a lower dose.

I disagree to quote hundreds while codeine may not effect some people it is the weakest and hence safest opiate and provides nice sedation

personally i would honestly have probably topped myself if I didn't have codeine when I did now its not that bad I have an addiction but the wd are not unpleasent for me I actually feel better if I take a break for a day or two my vibe ie more natural and my colour returns plus dihydrocodeine is nothing compared to codeine codeine is full on and intense I just love fucking codeine i hope that we will never part ways

btw codeine is... a pro drug for morphine and is not active in itself.

Actually Codeine 6 Glucuronide is responsible for as much if not more than the demethylated morphine of codeine. But that's better left for the Codeine Megathread.
---
The reasoning behind the number of available opioids is due to the fact that not one size fits all. Some have different needs like duration, type of pain, safety profiles, etc. You wouldn't want to give a cancer patient codeine (well, maybe pete?) or a baby with a cough Fentanyl. It mainly just gives doctors more tools in the toolbox to work with and is still only a fraction of all the opioids out there.

I'm not trying to be a dick, but I don't feel that there is a whole lot of Harm Reduction value in this question. I'm not saying it's not interesting or unworthy of discussion, it's just that I don't think that your health, safety and/or wellbeing are going to be imminently effected by the answer to this question. There are a variety of reasons behind the creation of new drugs. Essentially, new drugs are designed because medical science is constantly trying to improve itself. Also, just like the research chemical market of the modern era, early Opioid analogues were designed to help circumvent drug laws.

We actually didn't get a proper analog legislation in this country until 1986 believe it or not, when there was a major issue with Fentanyl analogs. Before this act was put into place at a federal level, all you had to do was tweak a chemical very slightly, hence there are about a hundred different Opioids out there.

Also alot of why we have them isn't based on medical need but instead patentability and profits.

When a patent experies the owner can no longer reap the benefits of a monopoly so they have to come up with a new opioid (or formulation) they can patent.

Pharma companies develop a new analogue, make doctors (which are mostly incapable or too busy for researching the science for thrmselves) think that the new opiate has some special or useful properties...boom.

btw codeine is the dumbest drug out there, its a pro drug for morphine and is not active in itself.

Thanks Doctor lol it's literally a natural product that comes from the poppy flower... good thing nature doesn't give a shit what you think.

Why do we NEED fentanyl? Just because it's what you like? If I could wish away any drug that affects the opioid receptors it'd be fentanyl and it's analogues. Only use is short surgery so you're not fucked up when you wake up 45 minutes later.

Different drugs exist because they work differently for different people. Same reason there's 12 different benzos or 30 different SSRIs. Everyone's body chemistry is different.

^I don't understand what you're trying to say. Also, in the original post there's a statement reading that the only difference between Opioids is potency, so we're kind of starting from a pretty dubious point here, as this is really not the case at all. Again, the original post as it has been laid out doesn't seem to involve the imminent safety of anyone of our members, hence I am not going to call it Harm Reduction. It's just curiosity. Not harm done, but it's just not what we do here.

Morphine is a great cough suppressant. Oxymorphone is practically devoid of antitussive activity. This is one of dozens of examples of what differentiates the various Opioids from one another.

codeine and opiate medication saved me from the pain of the
noro virus and worked better than an anti biotic.
just thought it was very interesting how it was a godsend and
it cured me when i was soo sick. its okay in that way. .

OD -> DC
(@ DC mods, I hope this fits in DC, if not please move back and sorry for the inconvenience)

Organs which break the drug down. Duration. Potency. Abuse potential. Selectively avoiding drug allergies or interactions.

All the components are necessary for optimal functioning. Do not operate a motor vehicle after a meth head took it apart and put it back together with a bunch of leftover pieces.

Currently smoking fentanyl, and btw codeine is the dumbest drug out there, its a pro drug for morphine and is not active in itself. The body first metabolizes codeine into morphine, which then the morphine is what gets you high. But the only problem is the enzyme that metabolize codeine not everyone has the same amount, there are even conditions which make people have an extreme amount or of this enzyme or very little, which (like 1 in 10 people i think) could be problematic as someone could od on the same dose that another person might not even feel. This is especially dangerous because codine is give to very young kids and a child might easily od and die. My point is a knowen dose of codeine is an unknown dose of morphine.

Even certain foods you eat or other drugs you do might be metabolized by that enzyme, leaving less it to convert the codeine into morphine, leaving you with a lower dose.
By your logic oxycodone shouldn't be on the list either then as its a prodrug for oxymorphone.

What about hydrocodone lol everyone is different. Plus how would pharmaceutical companies make money

Oxycodone
By your logic oxycodone shouldn't be on the list either then as its a prodrug for oxymorphone.
Oxycodone is not a prodrug for oxymorphone, oxycodone is responsible for the majority of the activity. Only a very small portion is metabolized into oxymorphone. If it were a prodrug you would probably have to take couple hundred mg for a opiate naive person to feel anything, just like the dose difference with codeine and morphine.

Thanks Doctor lol it's literally a natural product that comes from the poppy flower... good thing nature doesn't give a shit what you think.

Why do we NEED fentanyl? Just because it's what you like? If I could wish away any drug that affects the opioid receptors it'd be fentanyl and it's analogues. Only use is short surgery so you're not fucked up when you wake up 45 minutes later.

Different drugs exist because they work differently for different people. Same reason there's 12 different benzos or 30 different SSRIs. Everyone's body chemistry is different.
I only put it up there because its active at very low doses(ųg) and is the only opioid I know of(other then its analogues ) that can be put on a patch and provide long lasting pain relief for severe pain.

The main reason is that each person reacts differently.

Examples: My mother is allergic to codeine but can take other pain meds. I can and do receive better pain relief from certain meds that are "weaker" than from "stronger" ones.
I'm not able to tolerate morphine due to nausea. I am not a fan of hydromorphone because is super sedating and provides extremely short term pain relief.

Truth be told, IMO we should have more to choose from i have a friend that currently ongoing treatment for cancer and can't find a good option for pain control.

Ow days you take whatever opioid your doctor gives. You. Complain about it and lose your script and never get another one.

I dont care if it makes you impotent...if you have an opioid script you keep your mouth shut and tell the doctor it works perfectly

So true^ Ive had a script for over 5 years nearly since i was 18 for legit pain that ive had tests for etc but maybe i dont need it as much its just to valuable to give up especially since im addicted and can easily go through my script (3000mg) in one day. Everytime i go to my pick up my script i get butterflies cus i know they will get me high as fuck and i aint got worry about shitty paracetamol thats for the chumps who cant get decent scripts ;)

^thanks for rubbing it in i only get paracetamol/opiate press scripts, not pure pills that can be IV. and thats probably for the best