• 🇺🇸󠁿 🇧🇷 🇨🇦 🇦🇷 🇲🇽 🇹🇹 🇨🇺
    The Americas
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • NSADD Moderators: deficiT | Jen

Benzos Why are stimulants more controlled than benzos?

cowardescent

Bluelighter
I live in Ireland and the drug scheduling system is similar to the States. benzodiazepines are schedule IV and ADHD stimulants (methylphenidate, amphetamines) are schedule II.

I would have thought that the system ranks the drugs by harm potential. Anyone who has used benzos knows that the withdrawals are very brutal compared to heroin, or even meth. Not to mention, they're the only ones that can actually cause death along with alcohol and other GABAergics. Most drug deaths also involve a benzo.

The only reason I can think of is that benzos are not abusable by most people to the same extent as stimulants unless they have anxiety.

I don't know anything about the federal scheduling of substances in Ireland but if it is anything similar to that of the controlled substances act than the laws are arbitrary, inconsistent, and definitely not based on objective scientific reasoning. Why do drug laws tend to be so inconsistent? A multitude of reasons, the most simple answer being that we, as humans, tend to really suck at implementing sensible drug policy.

It certainly should be reversed in a sense since benzos are certainly more dangerous and habituating.

But, stimulants do have higher abuse potential.

Yet cigarettes and alcohol, which are both horribly habituating and dangerous are unrestricted. Thus, the systems us humans have put into place have some pretty large logical flaws

Probably because benzodiazepines have more medical indications and uses than stimulants. They are vital for many surgeries, procedures and psychiatry.

Stimulants are generally only used in psychiatry.
I think Snafus answer is probably most spot on, but also I don't think we should discount the fact that the government (s) have absolutely no clue wtf they are doing regarding substances and everything is ass backwards.

Wait... the US has now made all RC benzos schedule I. Soon all benzos will be schedule II because idiots are telling people that a 'normal dose' is anywhere from 4-10x the dose a doctor would prescribe.

The law is reactive. When the benzodiazepine epidemic hits, THEN we will see.

Wait... the US has now made all RC benzos schedule I. Soon all benzos will be schedule II because idiots are telling people that a 'normal dose' is anywhere from 4-10x the dose a doctor would prescribe.

You're very optimistic to think that the government would actually reform their drug laws for the benefit of the people

People are dying - journalists WILL ask questions and politicians will take the path of least resistance. It will not affect medical benzodiazepines although it WILL make possession (without a valid prescription) a crime.

Ler's face it, 1Kg of flunitrazolam is worth over £1 million and the government isn't getting any tax from it.

Lucky that some of us have been looking at the actives in Kava Kava and have discovered a minor component that is some x60 Kavain in potency i.e. 2-3mg is a dose.... but it's natural and sold in health-food shops SO they won't ban it so readily.

I'm not so sure the government would avoid scheduling a drug because it's 'natural', that has very rarely stopped them in the past. Journalists tend to screw up supremely when it comes to drug coverage, and politicians tend to take hard prohibitionist stances on drug use because that's what typically appeals to voters (although I do admit the issue has gotten a tiny bit more liberal within the last couple of decades). I somewhat agree with your stance on the scheduling of benzodiazepines but I think you're pretty naive to think that society would actually respond to a drug crisis rationally. Just look at the opioid epidemic, despite record overdose deaths naloxone is impossible to get in many states, many people still believe that touching fentanyl can kill you, and opioid maintenance programs are extremely taboo.

Lucky that some of us have been looking at the actives in Kava Kava and have discovered a minor component that is some x60 Kavain in potency i.e. 2-3mg is a dose.... but it's natural and sold in health-food shops SO they won't ban it so readily.

What is this delectable compound you speak of?

I'm in Canada and trying to get a doctor to give a script for benzos is OMG.... they almost want your first born. Why....Big Pharma doesn't make any $$ off benzos. They are cheap. They want everyone on their corrupt anti-depressants that dumb us all down. These anti-depressants are so friggin addictive to the brain. I was on xanax for 32 years and slide right off of them. Now I'm trying to get off of Cipralex after 12 years and I'm having a shit of a time doing it. My brain is so frigged up from this crap.

It totally is all political. Straight up man!! Look at all the over-reach by the Government when it came to Covid. They did whatever they wanted to people. The Government is in bed with Big Pharma and it all comes down to $$$$$$$. Just sayin!

I'm not so sure the government would avoid scheduling a drug because it's 'natural', that has very rarely stopped them in the past. Journalists tend to screw up supremely when it comes to drug coverage, and politicians tend to take hard prohibitionist stances on drug use because that's what typically appeals to voters (although I do admit the issue has gotten a tiny bit more liberal within the last couple of decades). I somewhat agree with your stance on the scheduling of benzodiazepines but I think you're pretty naive to think that society would actually respond to a drug crisis rationally. Just look at the opioid epidemic, despite record overdose deaths naloxone is impossible to get in many states, many people still believe that touching fentanyl can kill you, and opioid maintenance programs are extremely taboo.

What is this delectable compound you speak of?

Well, all of those tax-paying health food shops would not be able to sell it either....

Ler's face it, 1Kg of flunitrazolam is worth over £1 million and the government isn't getting any tax from it.

Not sure 1kg is worth that much 🤔

Then again, if a dose is say 250mcg, and its sold in an individual dosage units (like blotters or tablets) and formulated as such, and sold for $1 a dose, then yeah, a mg yields $4, and a gram $4,000, and a kilogram, well...three more zeros onto that number 🤣

Only problem is, one will probably burn in hell for unleashing that chemical weapon on humanity. Benzos are such nasty drugs.

But I don't forsee an rc benzo epidemic occuring in the same fashion as this current synthetic opioid epidemic simply for the reason that benzos aren't reinforcing enough. But imagine if there was a widespread rc benzo epidemic...it would be pretty horrible. Or imagine if instead of xylazine, US street fentanyl was blended with some sort of rc benzo, creating a mass group of both opioid and benzodiazepine addicted individuals. Problem is, that sort of mixture would kill too many customers.

Well, all of those tax-paying health food shops would not be able to sell it either....
Yes, just like the government could be taxing and making profits off of marijuana in addition to every other illicit drug in the world. But they clearly aren't doing that in most parts of the world, even with such benign substances like cannabis, and mushrooms; so to think they would do that with a benzodiazepine is ridiculous. If the government was so eager to make profits off of recreational substances, then the entire war on drugs wouldn't exists. Like I said, it's very naive to think the government would do the right thing in regards to recreational drug use given our long standing history of fucking things up tremendously.

Would love to learn more about this.

Not sure 1kg is worth that much 🤔

Then again, if a dose is say 250mcg, and its sold in an individual dosage units (like blotters or tablets) and formulated as such, and sold for $1 a dose, then yeah, a mg yields $4, and a gram $4,000, and a kilogram, well...three more zeros onto that number 🤣

Only problem is, one will probably burn in hell for unleashing that chemical weapon on humanity. Benzos are such nasty drugs.

But I don't forsee an rc benzo epidemic occuring in the same fashion as this current synthetic opioid epidemic simply for the reason that benzos aren't reinforcing enough. But imagine if there was a widespread rc benzo epidemic...it would be pretty horrible. Or imagine if instead of xylazine, US street fentanyl was blended with some sort of rc benzo, creating a mass group of both opioid and benzodiazepine addicted individuals. Problem is, that sort of mixture would kill too many customers.
It's already happening dude. Lots of the dope on the street is cut with rc benzos. Not to mention etazene drugs and xylazine. That's why so many people are dying. It's a toxic drug supply. This article is a couple years old but yeah the heroin is testing positive for benzos. I think I got a batch once myself. One of my last batches before I quit regular dope use 3 years ago.