• MDMA &
    Empathogenic
    Drugs

Welcome Guest!
  • MDMA Moderators:

why am i on risperdone for a long term comedown

Never put too much faith in doctors when it comes to the medications they prescribe you. They often don't know much about the medications beyond what they have been taught/ advertised by pharmaceutical corporations. It is your job to weigh out the pros and cons of the medication - to think doctors have a convenient solution to problems as under researched and poorly understood as MDMA-induced issues is not smart IMO. How are we supposed to micromanage our own brain chemistry when we barely understand the mechanisms at play, especially in your situation, when there are so many variables to consider.

Well, that's just great. But it's LOL. The drug developer thought otherwise when trying to get the drug approved. The FDA thought otherwise when approving the drug. The physician thought otherwise when prescribing the drug.

You just make far-fetched claims without providing any backup for them. I see you do it on the forums over and over again. However chose you as mod made a mistake.

Do you think the drug developer cares about your health or your money? Is the FDA objective, or is it overly reliant and connected to the corporations it purports to monitor. Does the physician do what is right or is he doing what he thinks is right/ what he is told is right by pharmaceutical corps?

Some questions to ask yourself.

I agree that sometimes medications may be over-prescribed, but it's not necessary for anyone to claim that not a single person in the world needs psychiatric medication. Many people undergo years of therapy, decisions to "forget the anxiety" or whatever the problem is, and other non-pharmacological treatments, yet still remain incredibly suicidal, or have so much anxiety that they can not hold a job or even leave the house (not to mention have fulfilling relationships with other people). Its' easy to see a few high schoolers unnecessarily prescribed Ritalin or Prozac and say "Down with all medications, no one needs those!" but when you are sitting in the psych ward next to your mother who has been diagnosed with bipolar disorder, who is now $20 000 deeper in debt because of her last spending spree during her mania and bleeding from her wrists after slashing them almost to the point where she has successfully killed herself in her following depression, and this is her fifth suicide attempt and the entire family is now falling apart, you may see that yes, indeed, some people actually need medications in order to live any semblance of a happy or productive life.

I assume that Pmz is not nearly that severe of a case, but the point is that we DON'T KNOW what is going on with him. There may be a severe or moderate mental illness that was either present for MDMA, or was brought out by the drug. Telling him to stop his medications without having any knowledge of any of this stuff may be extremely dangerous advice.
The "quack" psychiatrist he saw went through twelve years of university to become a psychiatrist (if he was educated in Canada/the US) and while that doesn't necessarily make you a genius, it certainly is a lot of education about what happens in the body and the brain, and a huge chunk of that is around understanding the important things about how meds work.

Pmz: If you are on a psychiatric drug, there should be a psychiatrist or family physician monitoring you, even monthly, to adjust doses as needed or take your concerns into consideration. You do need at least a family doctor to be re-writing your prescription every now and then so talk to that doctor about it. Two months is usually long enough for the med to be doing its job properly so if you're still struggling on the medication then it's completely your choice if you want to try something else or stop altogether, but please involve your doc in this process if you choose it! :)

In difference to you, OP's physician is not a high-school kid. The physician went through college and grad school, has professional experience from treating perhaps hundreds or thousands of patients, etc. Why would he just throw a random medication to see if it works? In difference to you, he's not a layman. How do you arrive at such an absurd claim?

That might hold some water, if it wasn't for the fact that his doctor basically told him to "fuck off" when he asked for help.

Some people really do have problems that REQUIRE medication. MDMA abusers need rest, not more drugs, however.

You just make far-fetched claims without providing any backup for them. I see you do it on the forums over and over again. However chose you as mod made a mistake.

The entire mega-industry of developing and prescribing psych meds is based on making "far-fetched claims without providing any back up for them".

If you believe it's a legitimate science, I have a bridge to sell you! Despite what we may know about the brain, how it functions and how drugs act upon the brain, pschiatry/psychology is completely based on subjective observation and guesswork. Medicating people is done by trial and error. Sure, you have to go to school for many years and study a whole range of tedious subjects. It requires a lot of intelligence, but the kind of intelligence it requires to get the necessary qualifications to prescribe medication has nothing to do with whether or not that doctor is able to "read" different people's personalities, or whether or not they're able to effectively find out what's wrong by talking to people.

MDMA abusers need rest, not more drugs, however.

Unless the MDMA brought out a serious underlying mental illness. There is no evidence to show that drugs like LSD, marijuana or MDMA can CAUSE mental illness, but there is a lot of evidence that they have the potential to bring out mental illness several years early in people who were going to develop one in the future.

Rest is definitely one thing no one can deny for anyone recovering from addiction, though- always a good idea :)

It's true, after abusing MDMA myself I became EXTREMELY manic depressive. I had signs of it before, but they never truly manifested themselves. There was a time where I would go from crying to being angry to being happy and laughing to being scared of myself all within a single minute.

I truly do believe that time is the ultimate healer, however. If nothing you learn to live with yourself, something that can be very hard when you're constantly switching medications trying to correct what others label as "wrong"... Yes, there are some out there who really do need medication to function in life and obviously drug abuse can bring about brain abnormalities that will further exacerbate these problems. I don't think PMZ really is one of those people though, no more than myself at least. If he or anyone else was, I would certainly agree 120% that they should be talking to a (trusted) doctor about this and not posting it on a drug forum.

If anyone abuses MDMA and goes to the doctor as a result of the long-term consequences they are likely going to get a prescription for something, but what I've seen is medications that aren't working and rest/recovery/lifestyle changes that help people tremendously time and time again

^I was in a rehab that a program for doctors who had substance abuse issues, they suggested I go on a small dose of it too, and one of the doctors "doing time" there warned me about that side-effect...All set...It really did that to you? Did it go away?

Nope. Still got them from taking it in my teens. bout 10 years later. Looks gross because overall my body is lean :(

I have a class action lawsuit going. My lawyer said they can get me the $ to have them removed surgically.

That sucks, a lot of those meds do very strange things that make the side-effects of illegal drugs look pedestrian in comparison...Of course, if it's the drug company being sued, they'll probably claim that you were warned about the possibility of that happening.

I worded that quote wrong....I was in a rehab program that happened to have a special "sub-program" that was for people in the medical field with substance abuse issues. I hadn't slept in 11 days and one of the shrinks there talked to me and thought I was "staring strangely", which after being awake for that long I was feeling pretty strange but still had a firm grasp on reality. I talked to the head shrink of the place and she thought I was fine and didn't push the issue, but it's amazing how certain doctors push that shit, pretty much everyone at that rehab that had a history of stimulant or psychedelic use they tried to push risperdone on....Now my girlfriends bother suffers from psychosis that's not transient, it keeps coming back and he acts out violently at times and has a strong narcissism that makes him impossible to deal with...He definitely needs to be on something at this point!

It really seems common-place these days in the substance abuse field to immediately give everyone a psych diagnosis and medicate them before they've had any clean time. It's so strange how casual they are when it comes to prescribing these meds, to me anyway...

I dunno mate. None of us are doctors. I would trust your doctor's advice above ours.

you would be surprised how many doctors don't know shit about physiology/biochemistry. they went to medschool in mexico, got C's in biochemistry and just snaked by. Don't trust somebody just because they are a Dr.

It seems like your dr. doesn't know what he's doing. is he a psychiatrist? or just a general practitioner? Basically his giving you a drug that prevents you from responding to dopamine. dopaminergenic action basically makes you feel motivated or "gives your the energy and will" to do stuff. So he's giving you a drug that prevents you from having any sort of motivation, satisfaction, or desire to do what your impulses tell you to.

Well, that's just great. But it's LOL. The drug developer thought otherwise when trying to get the drug approved. The FDA thought otherwise when approving the drug. The physician thought otherwise when prescribing the drug.

You realize the drug developers will push anything they fucking can get legalized regardless of weather they think its useful or not? As long as they can convince the FDA that the drug is useful and have their asses covered legally, they will push drugs past clinical trials. There are always scandals of how they omitted data from clinical trials or preclinical science and slanted the data or had it reviewed by insiders.

Also the FDA is a government agency....the government gets bribed by big pharma....therefore the FDA gets bribed into makes drugs legal that are possibly just bullshit, as long as they aren't going to kill a bunch of people.. Youre pretty naive if you think the pharmaceutical insdustry is about "making drugs to help people that are sick"....its about one thing and one thing only, $

OP: you need a second opinion from another dr. do some research. find a psychiatrist that went to a good medical school....not "universidad de medicina de guatamala" or some Dr. that is 80 yrs old. find a younger Dr., they are typically more knowledgeable about a field as new as neuropharmacology

Last edited:
Nope. Still got them from taking it in my teens. bout 10 years later. Looks gross because overall my body is lean :(

I have a class action lawsuit going. My lawyer said they can get me the $ to have them removed surgically.

what about $ for "pain and suffering" ....fuck just getting them removed....get as much as you can out of them.

That might hold some water, if it wasn't for the fact that his doctor basically told him to "fuck off" when he asked for help.

Some people really do have problems that REQUIRE medication. MDMA abusers need rest, not more drugs, however.

I think that, just like MDMA, the effects of SSRI's are biased on this forum. Those who are taking SSRI's and find them to help, don't bother coming on here for help. As a result, the majority of people here are the people that the SSRI's haven't worked for = a misrepresentation of how good they are. I don't disagree that the clinical efficiency of SSRI's is poor, but not to the extent that they are slated here. My mum is on SSRI's and, while experiencing some side-effects, she does find them helpful to her overall mood.

you would be surprised how many doctors don't know shit about physiology/biochemistry. they went to medschool in mexico, got C's in biochemistry and just snaked by. Don't trust somebody just because they are a Dr.

Perhaps. But compared to a forum full of layman neuroscientists, I'd go with the Doctor. You can't really generalise a few shit doctors to the overall population. I'm sure lots of Doctor's know what they are talking about and care about finding the best medication for you.

In difference to you, OP's physician is not a high-school kid. The physician went through college and grad school, has professional experience from treating perhaps hundreds or thousands of patients, etc. Why would he just throw a random medication to see if it works? In difference to you, he's not a layman. How do you arrive at such an absurd claim?

Why would a physician know better how to deal with MDMA abuse when it's an illegal drug who's scientific literature is based on outdated, animal research under extreme conditions and using bad science? to the average doctor who doesn't better, MDMA is as bad for your brain as cutting it open and pouring hydrochloric acid on it. That's what they've been taught in "grad school" and most of them have no experience dealing with abusers of MDMA.

it seems you're the one who makes absurd claims saying conventional medicine knows how to deal with a drug that they've tried to squander using biased government research for the better part of the last two decades.

As much as I hate being the bearer of bad news, when it comes to psychedelic abuse, most people are on their own because no serious research has been done in humans using these substances thanks to their swift illegality and general lack of interest in understanding them. Conventional medicine doesn't know much or care about psychedelics. In a way, you'd be much better abusing pharmaceutical drugs like Amphetamines, Opiates, Anxiety pills or even Cocaine because they've been used medicinally for over a century and their effects on the human body are very well documented and understood.

Last edited:
My mum is on SSRI's and, while experiencing some side-effects, she does find them helpful to her overall mood.

Yeah, but I'm just gonna guess that your mom hasn't abused MDMA to a heavy extent ;)

considering SSRIs have been shown to cause downregulation and other detrimental effects almost identical to the kinds caused by MDMA abuse, I REALLY do not think they will help the majority of users. If you should have been taking them before even doing MDMA that's a bit different, but I still think your best option would be to let your brain "reset" naturally for a few months before starting with heavy medication.

This is just my opinion though, and I certainly don't have any medical degrees under my belt (yet :) )

Dude.

If I were you, someone who is trying to recover from a comedown(brain fog or whatever you want to call it)

Start taking daily doses of vitamins. Exercise daily. Eat fruits and veggies. Make some raw juices fruits/veggies.

It will help over time. You'll feel normal again.

Pmz - have you been put on a benzo? I'm on Clonazepam which has helped enormously but I'm worried that it's just masking the underlying trauma which is exactly like you initially described ( I've been following your posts). My situation has been caused by a one off use off the drug on my bachelor party when really drunk, given by friends!!!! Anyway trying to hold my life together until after the wedding at the end of the month and then plan stopping the benzos but petrified that life will go back to the first 3 weeks which was a living Hell. My positive voice is saying that the short term Use of Clonazepam is just a distracting whilst the underlying problem rebalances. Just wondering if you have tried them?