• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

White Grapfruits... Off the market?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shady4091

Bluelighter
I live in Canada and I cannot find White Grapefruits/White Grapefruit Juice anywhere. I've checked all the big grocery chains as well as small organic fruit markets, and they're nowhere to be found. I'm wondering if they've been taken off the market due to interacting with so many medications... I'm not asking where to find them, just wondering if they are even around.

The only thing I have heard is the methadone myth.......which is bunk b/c having acidic urine makes the drug flush out of your system faster so taking it to strengthen the done is counterproductive lol.

I don't know why they would be taken off the market....

It contains an enzyme that slows down the metabolism of morphine by the liver, thus extending the duration of the high. This enzyme acts on other medications as well. I remember reading a pill bottle that said "do not take with grapefruits".

Red grapefruit juice works just as well (or fresh grapefruits). It's been a really shitty year for fruit and vegetable farmers in the souther States and Mexico so it's entirely possible there simply isn't any left for this season. It hasn't been taken off market; it's too delicious and grapefruits aren't controlled substances - yet :p

unlucky, go for lemons, just as acidic if not more

It isn't about the acidity, it is that grapefruits contain certain enzymes which inhibit specific enzymes in your body, responsible to metabolizing certain drugs. This means that your body takes longer to metabolize it, so it lasts a bit longer. Many people eat/drink grapefruit prior to some benzos and various opiates, claiming in boosts the effects a bit.

What I have heard is that it does have the enzyme but that the juice also makes your urine acidic which causes more of the meds to flush out in your urine thus negating any benefit of the juice.....

Not sure if that is only methadone though...

Does anyone know for certain if Ruby Red or other Red Grapefruits are just as effective? From what I've read they're not.

Does anyone know for certain if Ruby Red or other Red Grapefruits are just as effective? From what I've read they're not.

They are. Grapefruits have two main physiological effects aside from their nature as a food.

The first, and most commonly referenced effects is due to the compounds naringin, bergamottin, and dihydroxybergamottin. These compounds inhibit liver enzymes (esp. CYP3A4), slowing the degradation of many drugs including opiates. (In the case of codeine, potency is decreased because less codeine is metabolized to the more active morphine.) Any type of grapefruits contain these compounds; white grapefruits are recommended because they have a higher concentration IIRC.

The second effect used by people desperate to "clean their system out" is that grapefruit juice, like most other acidic drinks, decreases the pH of your blood and increases excretion of drugs like amphetamine and methadone.

yeah i have not seen them either, not at small stores or metro or anywhere else, though i have seen many red grapefruits for a cheap price at Asian food stores,

I'm not in Canada, but in Buffalo, NY which borders Ontario...I saw this thread before I went to the grocery store tonight, and nope, no white grapefruit juice or white grapefruits here either. There was a sign however saying that because of weather, a bunch of crops (including cauliflower, broccoli, oranges, a few other things) had been damaged in the southern US, and the store would try to find quality products when possible but the price was clearly increased (a small head of cauliflower was about double what it should cost). Soo...perhaps white grapefruits also fell victim to this?

It might just be as simple as they're not in very high demand. People seem to like Red Grapefruits more, and will usually just go that way if they want a Grapefruit.

@ Purple Cloud. Thanks for looking. :)

Very hard to find in Canada. But try Safeway, like WorldWarMe said. They sell White Grapefruit Juice as their own brand.

If the day comes when grapefruits are banned then the world has gone mad beyond repair.

Btw grapefruits interact with allsorts of medication.

Status
Not open for further replies.