• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc which SSRI is best for anxiety?

ovo1024

Bluelighter
So I know this is subjective, but is there is a general consensus of which one(s) work the best? Talking more social anxiety then panic disorder but panic attacks are still present. I'd prefer a benzo script but id abuse the hell out of them and I know it. I know alot of ssri's can produce unwanted side effects as well. So any opinions Bluelight?

Sertraline is the one that worked best for me, but that means very little. Response to antidepressants, particularly SSRIs, varies enormously from person to person, for example, the same drug might be considered stimulating to some but sedating to others. If your main problem is anxiety, you most likely want a relatively sedating SSRI. Unfortunately, the only way you're really going to find the drug that's best suited to you is through experimentation. It's definitely worth talking this through at length with your doctor - all doctors are aware of this issue, and it's not unusual for some patients to try out 4 or 5 antidepressants before they find the one that suits them best.

Last edited:
I have found Fluoxetine/Prozac to help massively with my social anxiety

For crippling life destroying suicide anxiety, panic disorder and PTSD - Sertraline worked wonders for me and that horrible description. See Ozle's post above for a good answer, take care.

I have found Fluoxetine/Prozac to help massively with my social anxiety
I hate ssri's, but years ago, I went thru a bunch of them. It all depends on your body chemistry. I found the quoted Prozac, the most natural, a little speedy, but it removed anxiety to a point. Paxil was cool, but it made me drink like a fish. I never had, but also heard that Lexapro was for anxiety. I take benzodiazepines now. As long as you don't fuck with your dose, they can last for years at the same dose, but that's for another thread.

This is a question for your psychiatrist. As mentioned previously, SSRI response varies from person to person. Zoloft worked for awhile for me, stopped working, went on Wellbutrin which made me suicidal, and finally settled onto Effexor.

Don't forget CBT!

Honestly, after being round the block a number of times with ssri meds and others I would advise to stay well away from them. they may help little by little over time but they are no cure and have side effects like very few other meds out there. Anxiety is best treated with a benzo (fact) - it may be duct tape as my doc once said but it works. trying to help anxiety with ssri meds is like trying to quench your thirst with glue!

Thank you for the responses everyone, well I got good answers about Zoloft from you guys, and reviews online weren't bad either. I don't have a psychiatrist but will get one. And ask about it. I would love a 1mg a day klonopin script but id abuse it cuz I'm a drug addict lol. Maybe one day.