• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Which psychedelics do antipsychotics NOT work for?

CrimpJiggler

Bluelighter
I remember reading years ago that many hippies who were used to using thorazine to end bad LSD trips, ended up in the ER in hospital when they tried to use it for a different type of psychedelic (I think it was DOM or something) because the thorazine actually amplified the effects of this particular psychedelic. Does anyone know what I'm talking about? What is the drug that the hippies were on?

I wanna know the pharmacology behind it and how an antipsychotic like thorazine could amplify the effects, rather than block them like it does with LSD.

They were on PCP, and thorazine's anticholinergic effects compounded the dissociative effects. Thorazine is no longer prescribed by doctors under 60.

I had the misfortune to use Nozinan (Levomepromazine) while on speed. It is a very potent CYP26 inhibitor. This caused serious tachychardia and worrying heavy beats not helped by the insane amount of anxiety I had from it all. I believe I am right in saying that the majority of them inhibit the production of the enzyme and therefore should not be used at all with anything remotely amphetamine based. So my guess would include Phenethylamines. In fact just don't use them unless you are on a prescription. Then don't use drugs with them!
I have also used Nozinan on the tail end of an LSD trip. It induces sleep quickly if you have no tolerance and does help with any comedown like symptoms but I do not see the point and would NOT recommend it at all or ever. Horrible hangovers and can make you feel lifeless for up to 24 hours.

PCP, are you sure? I remembered reading about DOX or another one of those phenethylamine psychedelics. I'd have remembered if it was PCP.

PandaGun: Yeah I'd only use an antipsychotic to end a trip in an emergency situation. For ending LSD trips, trazodone is a way better option. I can vouch for it. I feel fine the next day after using it. Trazodones not used as an antipsychotic, its used as an antidepressant and sleep aid. Its kinda like mirtazipine the way it blocks serotonin but its much more selective than mirtazipine so less side effects.

i found olazapine stopped any visuals on mushrooms nxt time i had to stop taking the olanzapine for minum of 4 days before i next tripped

I have been told by multiple people that antipsychotics do not stop the effects of ayahuasca and can even make things worse, but I don't know if there is actually any truth to that.

There is one reported case of someone using a bunch of ayahuasca and cannabis and having a psychotic break which was semi-effectively treated with risperidone, however this was after the actual effects of the drugs worse off, so it could be that the drugs just triggered latent psychosis and that the risperidone was treating that, as opposed to it blocking/stopping the effects of the drugs (hoping I am explaining the difference well enough). It's a strange case because the guy had used other psychedelics on multiple occasions, had smoked cannabis for 6 years, and had used ayahuasca a couple times a month for 2 yrs, sometimes with cannabis, apparently with no significant adverse effects. It says "Symptoms persisted for two to three weeks and resolved after treatment with risperidone, an atypical antipsychotic medication. After being treated for a year, he resumed attending ayahuasca ceremonies; during the third of these ceremonies, while not using marijuana, he again experienced similar paranoid and suicidal ideation, which persisted for another two to three weeks, and which again responded to risperidone treatment over the next year". Another thing to consider is the possibility of admixtures like Datura.

Anyone else know whether or not antipsychotics block the effects of ayahuasca?

As for DOB + Thorazine, someone on this site said:

Psychedelics Encyclopedia (p 291) says that DOM (aka STP) which came out on the streets
in early 1967 in 10 mg doses (about 3 times Shulgin's suggested dose) had some bad trips treated by thorazine, but this "seemed to intensify and prolong the effects". But the next year tests showed thorazine has a "slight dampening" effect on pure DOM, so there is speculation the "STP" may have had other compounds.

According to "The Psychedelic Resergence" (based on Haight-Ashbury Clinic experience), DOB can cause some significant vasoconstriction, which can even lead to gangrene and amputation. However, they say, in extreme "bad trip" circumstances Haldol can be used to stop it. (They pioneered the "talk down" approach, and say the next step is use of a benzo such as Valium, before going to the antipsychotics). (This book came out in 1993, before the newer antipsychotics.)

And a side note: from several recent posts and papers, Serzone (nefazadone) and Zyprexa (olanzapine) are two pharmaceuticals most likely to actually stop the psychedelic effect (probably via 5HT2a receptor blockage). I have seen a post about each which stated the authors tried each of these experimentally to stop a trip, and each said it worked. Risperidone may work, but I have only seen this verified as a pretreatment. Haldol and Thorazine may work, but have more difficult side effects than the first two, I think.

As for PCP + Thorazine, this site says:

As of 2000, there is no medication that can serve as an antagonist to the effects of PCP or that can speed up its excretion. PCP is easily soluble in fats, thus can remain in the central nervous system for long periods. A patient who has overdosed on PCP must be placed on life support. Patients with anxiety or seizures can be given diazepam (Valium). Patients with psychotic episodes are usually treated with haloperidol (Haldol). Chlorpromazine (Thorazine) should not be given to patients who have taken PCP, as it may produce hypotension. Patients with severe hypertension due to PCP should be given diazoxide (Proglycem). Gastric lavage has been used successfully to treat patients who have ingested PCP directly.

Last edited:
They were on PCP, and thorazine's anticholinergic effects compounded the dissociative effects. Thorazine is no longer prescribed by doctors under 60.

I beg to differ- I was prescribed Thorazine 5 months ago by a doc under 40....