• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Which lasts longer, oxycontin or ms contin?

FunctionlJnkieGal

Bluelighter
Or are they about the same? I hear oxy is stronger but it doesn't last as long. Personally, I'd rather have something that lasts a long time, even if it wasn't as strong.

I think this is a no brainer since ms contin is from what I know Extended Release (ER) Morphine. So, yeah I would say ms contin lasts longer

Have you ever used Morphine before? It can be quite subtle in its effects and is a bit of an acquired taste whereas Oxycodone is usually embraced with open arms. You might also find the oxy to be more effective at smaller doses. If you are not an experienced user of pain meds your doctor will probably go with a much smaller dose of morphine vs oxycodone.

I find morphine way more longer acting than oxy, regardless of it being instant or extending, Oxy is just too speedy and short acting while morphine lingers for a long while

Yes, I always recognized Oxycodone and to a lesser extent, Hydrocodone for their shorter duration of action when compared to Heroin/Morphine. In order to find out which one actually works best for you, you're going to need to try them both out though.

Oxy ER all the way, if we are speaking on taking them orally, which these days, is about the only way you can safely and easily take oxycodone ER, in the form of OPs. Which imho suck ass, compared to the old original, OCs, which Purdue, being the big pharma assholes they are in the US, wont let any generic companies make using the old OC formula, which was very much so more effective, oral or not! Now MS contin, is even worse taken orally, IME and lots of other people, due to its awful oral BA when compared to oxy's great oral BA.. Oral Morphine Sulphate has a BA of only roughly 20-40% meaning that is all that is digested, and is only useful IME when done IV, which I would never tell someone to do, with the ER version of Morphine aka MS contin.. It turns to a jello like substance when added to water, and its very bad for you to even attempt to IV, if you can manage to bypass it gelling up... not a good idea, even if you do, because it will then gel up in your veins and cause serious problems if done enough.. I have heard, plugging morphine aka administering it rectally, in the anus, is the best way to go with ms contin.. But in short, I would just stick with the oxy, even though I despise OPs, I would rather have them, then the MScontin, which proved to be one of the weakest opiates there is IME, when taken orally.. nearly 500mg of oral MScontin, with a decent 120mg a day habit to oxy, did nothing but make me feel "well", and had none of the nice, happy, euphoric and analgesic properties that Oxy had, even OP oxy.. So both of them suck ime, but I would just stick with the oxy.. MScontin is utter garbage, especially for someone who is in pain, and needs round the clock relief, if oxy doesn't cut it, morphine almost surely wont be any better.

I've always been partial to ms contin 30's or 60's (I can handle up to 300mg oral), as I use it more often, but right now all I can get is 40mg oxycontin. As long as it works about as long as the morphine does its all good. I'm mainly just trying avoid withdrawals. I've been taking opiates on a daily basis since I was 18 or 19 (I'm 27 now) and I've only had withdrawals once when I was 20 after taking tramadol for a year or so. I was day 2 into it kicking it and I relapsed, but I've managed to avoid withdrawals since then through very strict rationing. Of course I slowly graduated into stronger opiates ; first it was tramadol, then hydrocodone, then morphine, and now oxy is all I can get right now. I'd like to keep avoiding the sickness if I can. Hopefully switching from ms contin to oxycontin won't be such a drastic change and won't effect me any differently.

Well damn, if MScontin works for you! Than that's straight! I have never had success with it, other than IV with the morphine IR tabs, which are much easier to prep for IV and, I actually for the first time, really enjoyed morphine done that way! but orally, 500mg wont even have me nodding, the smallest little bit of "euphoria" if you want to call it that, would come on in waves for like 3-10 mins at a time, every so often when I took that much orally, with an opiate tolerance that was decent sized.. Whenever I do opioids/opiates these days, its usually via IV though.. That has now become the only way I like to do most drugs(unfortunately!), able to be done like that, except for oxycodone! That is the ONLY opioid, I take, that I would rather sniff or plug, or even smoke on foil, if they are OCs which is damn near impossible to find in the US now.. or the IRs aka roxy 30s, but I only really smoked them if I had some to sniff or plug too, because the high from smoking them is very short lived on its own, yet very powerful and hits you instantly each hit, Iv oxy is not too good though for whatever reason, it just has a faster onset than oral, sniffing, or plugging(but only slightly faster than plugging) with no real "rush" like you get with heroin, dilaudid, or opana... with those damn OP oxys thought, I will only fuck with them if I run out of my subs, which is never these days, I stick with my sub dose, and don't ever let myself run out early or anything, and haven't touched a full agonist I like 13 months or so.. just subutex. But yeah if I am desperate enough, and somehow cant find oxy IRs, dope, or other strong opioid pharms, I will take OPs, just to keep me well.. hope I never have to again, the high/feeling I get from them is lacking IMO, and compared to the OCs isn't half as strong as they used to be, pre-matrix formula, with original OxyContin OCs.. even when I took those orally, they would hit me way harder and faster than the OPs ever have done for me the same way.. orally. Consider yourself lucky if you like the feeling of oral MScontin, and actually get something decent from it.. not a lot of people do.. I know I don't!

I'm a former heroin addict, and this is the only reason I favor and adore morphine, because to me, it's as close as you will get to heroin in a clean and pure way, verses oxy as it's thebaine derivatives give a signature effect of theyre own. I learned to appreciate morphines benign, heavy pure glow.

Seeing as you are a seasoned user of MS I have a strong feeling that Oxy ER on a 12 hour dosing regimen is going to be a bit rough without breakthrough doses of something immediate release. Oxycodone ER has been notorious for only providing 6-9 hours of relief followed by a quick onset of early withdrawal symptoms. I mistakenly took your first post to be someone who was opioid naive in which case the oxy would be better tolerated. I'm hopeful your doctor is well aware of ER oxy drawbacks and provides accordingly.

OP: If I were you, and actually got something out of the MScontins, I would ask your doctor for something like oxycodone IR 15s or 30s, for the break through pain.. that shouldn't be too much to ask, as the OP oxy ERs, to me, never have provided nearly the same kind of instant relief that the IR oxys have.. They feel like a different drug altogether, and depending on your tolerance, I think sooner or later, either one, Oxy ER or MS Contin on its own, probably wont do what it does for you now and be enough after a while of being on it, if you stay on the same dose long enough of either one long enough.. I have known many people in pain management, a couple of them worked up to Opana ERs(no doubt one of, if not the strongest opioid pain PILL, excluding fentanyl, which comes in a lollipop and patches, but not pill form. Opana(oxymorphone) is the next strongest pharm to fentanyl.) with oxycodone 15s or 30s IRs for breakthrough pain.. some took oxy ER and Oxy IRs for breakthrough pain.. regardless of the ER opioid pain med it is, oxy is always a great one for breakthrough pain relief! and of course MS contin and oxycodone IRs, that's another one that's pretty commonly prescribed, and for you, would probably be the best.. they also make oxy IRs(not talking about Percocet, these have no APAP which I am referring to.) in 5mg, 10mg and 20mg sizes too, so you should be able to find a perfect breakthrough dose.. somewhere between 5-30mg IRs that are made if needed.. Hope it all works out for you and you can stay pain free!

I can't help but ask..do you guys not want the morphine because it lacks pain killing qualities VS oxys pain killing qualities? Or in all reality is it the lack of euphoria morphine has, now I'm not saying the OP is thinking like this, just a question to the above posters that sided with oxy? I believe morphine has powerful pain killing qualities that oxy just can't wiggle into..

IME Oxy is like Alprazolam and MS more like Klonopin. Oxy seems to have a quick onset and 80%+ oral bioavaiability but not necessarily the longer action of MS. MS with its 20-40% oral bioavailability and more subtle "Head" high seems to make it an acquired taste. That being said when my oxy tolerance soars, IV morphine is a jewel. I just remember when I was opioid naive I truly disliked MS till I was a "pro" (junkie).

^haha, yes! It takes someone to reach the hell gates of heroin addiction to appreciate morphines taste. I hear all this talk of poor oral BA with morphine, however, it never knowingly was a problem for me, i still got nice, maybe my liver just metabolizes it better than some people, idk...as far as head highs, Oxy seems to win, however the short span of its effects is a turn off, which is why I rather eat morphine cause I love the body buzz, it feels like a non stop , very calm IV heroin sensation rush that lasts for a few hours, and yes mental lift as well, not a kick like oxy, i feel the bodyload makes up for it.

Its the duration I'm after, not so much the high, so I prefer ER pills to IR (plus I never used needles). I smoke tar every once in a blue moon. That shit is rare in this town, but honestly I'd rather have the morphine than H. As for the high, I love the duration of morphine ER and there's just something about an MS Contin high that touches your soul (unless your like me and don't have one). How many hours less are we talking about in terms of oxycontin than ms contin? I only have to dose once or twice a day with morphine.

Oral Mscontin is the way to go and yes it does tickle the soul, it has such a pure and natural glow to it

I'm on 5-60mg O'contin daily. I was on 4-40mg O'morphone and it wasn't as effective as the O'contin. Maybe I didn't take the O'morphone long enough (30days) then switched back to O'contin. I don't think morphine works as well in my chemistry. I'm also taking 6-20mg O'codone IR daily BTP and I love them, they really kick in gear within 10mins. I ran short on meds and the wd's were suicidal thoughts for sure. I have thoughts in my head that if we go to war within the US what will we do about our narcotics if it got to that point.
It makes me want to taper off and build up a stash but the pain keep me from allowing such stash. I hate these necessary evil meds.