Film & Television

Welcome Guest

⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

which is your favourite: Gus Van Sant film?

which is it?

• Mala Noche

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Drugstore Cowboy

Votes: 13 33.3%
  • My Own Private Idaho

Votes: 3 7.7%
  • Even Cowgirls Get The Blues

• To Die For

Votes: 2 5.1%
  • Good Will Hunting

Votes: 12 30.8%
  • Psycho

• Finding Forrester

• Gerry

• Elephant

Votes: 4 10.3%
  • Last Days

Votes: 2 5.1%
  • Paranoid Park

• Milk

Votes: 3 7.7%

• Total voters

L2R

Bluelight Crew
let's celebrate teh imminant release of milk!

prob elephant, best even handed commentary on Colombine, and how high school can promote that sort of behavior, its honest too which is something to be said for it.

paranoid park and last days were really great, pp was a bit self indulgent for Sant - Last Days seemed a bit bigger in the theatre.

drugstore cowboy and to die for get honorable mentions as favs

even cowgirls was prob the only attempt at making a flick out of Tom Robbins book and that's something. its terrible (the film) and not his best book.

Holy Shi#!!! I am the only one who voted for "Drugstore Cowboy?" On THIS site? Now that is a suprise. Even without the general focus of the site it is a great film although Idaho was also great. Great directior, he and Terry Gilliam are my favorites actually.

Ahhh...of course Crystal thought like me! But you need to vote!!! Hahaha.

The film is actually a true story, the memoir of a Washington State prison inmate in the US. I love Burroughs given his monolouge and thought that showed Van Sant's real genius at work.

I should give "Finding Forrester" a big shout though because that was filmed in my Bronx neighbourhood (as are manny "griitty" films). The building where Connery's character lives is across from Melrose PJs and a huge heroin spot if any cares. Soemthing for the trivia hounds...and the ball court though is not even in the nighbourhood, it was somewhere far away. Kind of strange when they take a place you know and film is so even you can forget it is part of your everyday life.

I went with My Own Private Idaho. No contest. Even though I love so many of his other films.

It's by no means a perfect movie, and it may not even be Van Sant's 'best', but I just love the whole mood and atmosphere of it. It has a real sleepy, calm feel to it, which I think is a great reflection of River Phoenix's narcoleptic character, Mike. It is after all, imo, Phoenix's performance which carries the entire film. There are many reasons why this film works so well, such as the soundtrack, or the cinematography. But in the end, it all comes down to him. Fucking brilliant.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xA0U0otWuzE

Even the trailer is magnificent. :D <3

Haven't actually seen any of these but added them all to my lovefilm.com list so shall see them over the coming months.

last days was win. Mainly because of the begining where he runs around in the red pants. I first saw the film high as fuck, and thought it was about cave men running around the woods, and thought the pants he was wearing were "dragon pants" made of a red dragons scales...

Definitely Not Elephant

Agreed. I normally don't mind tragic films, but this one just got to me. Often times I can find some pity in the "bad guys" in tragic films. But not in this one. I hated the fuckers from the get go, the only nudity I recall seeing is the two of them getting it on in the shower, not entertaining to me, and overall I hated this movie.

I have to go for "To Die For". Great black comedy, Juaqin (spelling) Phoenix is fucking hilarious in this movie. Probably one of the most unintentinal funny characters in any movie made.

I could do movie polls all day.

Last edited:
Last Days was absolute shit, in my opinion.

Good Will Hunting is one of my favorites so it definitely gets my vote. Drug Store Cowboy is great too though!

Elephant is a great film. I just saw Milk and it was very good, but formulaic. It can't compare to Van Sant's best work.

Elephant isn't worthy of a vote. The acting is such complete shit, its hard to watch the film. Vote goes to Drugstore Cowboy/To Die For.

No, there's nothing wrong with the acting in Elephant. That's pretty much how people actually act; unless you're used to super-stylized Tarantino-esque dialogue I don't see how that's bad.