Votes: 0 0.0%
  • i confess

• blackmail

• Total voters

wanderlust

Bluelighter
what a fabulous man with way too many movies.
i am going to list what i found on the web to be considered 'the essential hitchcock' which is 35 of the 60+ movies.

*for the list of upcoming polls, check out the feedback thread. add your own suggestions*

Last edited:
North By Northwest. Strange because in a lot of ways its one of his most atypical films. But this movie has it all.
I have a soft spot for his pre-Hollywood stuff where he's very experimental. Blackmail where he's playing with the new medium of sound. 39 Steps is great. IMO, the original TMWKTM is better than the remake.

Ropey strangers on a vertiginous northwest train.

But I went for NxNW.

SOAT *does* have the tennis match, and the roundabout , and... and... though.

north by northwest with rear window a second choice %)

Rear Window by a nose. Vertigo a close second for me. The pairing of Jimmy Stewart with Alfred Hitchcock is mesmerizing.

i've only seen rear window and psycho. i didn't like them enough to watch any others. of those, rear windor is immeasurably better.

psycho is overrated garbage with some spectacular camera work.

^^I think that's a problem with a lot of polls like this - most people have only seen a limited number of films by the person :\

Personally, I've always loved Hitchcock and seen nearly all the movies above. I'd have to say that by far my favorite was Rope. First for the technical aspect, as he was striving to shoot the film all in one continuous take (imagine how hard that must be for all involved). I know it actually ended up being about 10 takes (ranging from 4-10 min long, because 10 min was the max film length available at the time), but this forces the storyteller to hold your attention and keep things moving along without simple breaks for change of pace or twist of plot. Moreover the actors are essentially performing like a live play, knowing their whole sequence beginning to end in one go. But ultimately, the reason this one sticks with me so much is it was one of the first times I got pulled into dialogue and found myself tickled at the layered meanings behind everyone's words as the plot deepened and our characters learned a bit more about one another and the situation they found themselves in. Seriously, I want to own this DVD solely to go over the character dialogue again for the enjoyment.

NXNW is good, i didn;t realize it was one of his, but im stickin with vertigo. shit is sickkkk

i chose Vertigo but this was an extremely difficult decision.

i would rate my top 5 loosely as:

1) Vertigo
2) Rear Window
3) Strangers On A Train
4) North By Northwest
5) Psycho

ive watch 4 of his movies lately, i was in a hitchcock marathon n i was planing to keep going at it, n vertigo has being my fav so far, James Stewart is really amazing
Bernard Herrmann soundtrack are amazing too, ive got 6 ? some of those n i was familiar with the vertigo soundtrack before watching the movie and it is quite good :)
o i should ad that some of the camera angle were really neat, n so are the cameo