• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Harm Reduction Which is safer for handling a meth comedown - opiates or benzo's?

Warren25

Bluelighter
I know 'neither' would be an answer you may want to give but right now I'm handling the comedown with heroin. Should I switch to benzo's?

Benzos would be safer from addiction perspective but may lead you to do stupid things like deciding to drive and crashing or getting arrested. You're less likely to do this on opiates however you're probably going to get hooked.

I would advise benzos overall just don't do anything stupid on them... Easier said than done

If it's becoming more than once off every few weeks, avoid both substance classes. Clonidine, carisoprodol and beta blockers, antihistamines can make good comedown aids which aren't addictive. I know that beta blockers are said to be dangerous together with stims, yet I've known somebody who got high dose d-amph prescribed together with propranolol and it kept me leaving my heart running at 100+bpm for years just to find out this interaction doesn't happen so readily.

If you choose from those two classes then normal dose of benzos (not more than 20mg diazepam) is much safer bet. But there are no guarantees in life and in the end if you take stimulants regularly than you will become dependent/addicted either way. Maybe low dose, like 50mg, of quetiapine (Seroquel) would be safest in terms of dependence/addiction. Take care!

If it's becoming more than once off every few weeks, avoid both substance classes. Clonidine, carisoprodol and beta blockers, antihistamines can make good comedown aids which aren't addictive. I know that beta blockers are said to be dangerous together with stims, yet I've known somebody who got high dose d-amph prescribed together with propranolol and it kept me leaving my heart running at 100+bpm for years just to find out this interaction doesn't happen so readily.
As far as I know Carisoprodol is addictive. I'm 100% sure actually. Anyway, it definitely is more forgiving than benzos. I've used a lot of Soma (Carisoprodol) recently and there is way less rebound anxiety or physical addiction than with benzos. So I still agree that it's a better option in theory.

Soma can give some weird shakes though on higher dosages, which make me think perhaps its less safe to use with stimulants ; potential seizure risk? This is all speculation on my part, I've never used it together with stimulants.

Personally I love GHB on the stimulant comedown. I remember I used to do that a lot at parties when I'd start coming down from MDMA or Amphetamine. Always got me right back into party-mode or I could just go to sleep. If you want to go the opiate/opioid route I'd just suggest Codeine, used to work like a charm too for me. No need to go for stronger opioids imo. Unless you already have a strong tolerance ofcourse.

If I’ve gone more than 48 hours without sleep I take 5-10 mg valium and 25-50 mg of seroquel and sleep for 6 hours. I usually wake up feeling rested with minimal depression/anxiety type comedown feelings.

Around the 72 hour awake mark this formula can work as fast as 30 minutes after you finish that last bowl. Especially with a bit of deep breathing and some chill music.

Obviously benzodiazepines, antipsychotics can help but I get mixed results. @Atelier3 how does that work for you so well but not for me? I've got some neurological issues with behcets disease and all my other shit that's going on but Seroquel doesn't really calm me down. Neither Abilify which also works.for most.

Benzodiazepines by definition are safer than Opioids. This one is pretty clear-cut. Medical professionals often refer to a given drug's "Therapeutic Index". This is essntially a way of saying "here is the total window between minimum and absolute maximum prior to serious danger for the patient. I'm probably butchering it. I just read Carlo Rovelli's "The Order of Time" and I was trying to explain it to my friend Zoe and suffice to say, I don't think I did it justice.

The therapeutic index for Opioids is exponentially smaller than that of Benzodiazepines. To actually die from Benzodiazepines on their own would take literally thousands of pills. Sure, when you mix them with any other sedative, they become wicked dangerous. With Opioids, the dosage used to manage pain is only a hop, skip and a jump away from the recreational dosage and accordingly, the lethal dose is not far away either. Make no mistake, when you're nodding out on dope you're basically suspended between life and death.

So, I would definitely do the Benzodiazepines if they are an option. I would definitely go for the Opioids though personally. I also take a lot of really serious risks with my life though. I really think my nihlistic attitude toward my own existence is a combination of too much (just kidding, there's never too much) LSD and becoming addicted to dope at 15.

Definitely appreciate your help. I'm not chastising you at all, but Carisoprodol (Soma) is definitely addictive and from where I stand, much more addictive than Benzodiazepines. It's a prodrug that is metabolized into Meprobamate (Miltown) in the body. Meprobamate was one of the best-selling drugs of all time. The barbiturates were starting to be phased out in favor of Benzodiazepines like Diazepam (Valium). Meprobabmate is classified as a non-Barbiturate. This nomenclature is confusing, as the name implies that, while it is chemically distinct from the Barbiturates, it possesses nearly all of the effects of Barbiturates and Barbiturates are generally much more addctive and dangerous than Benzodiazepines.

They are both dangerous in their own way. always it made me feel the best, and most back to normal the best. Xanax on the other hand works great for calming down and eliminating any bad anxiety thoughts or feelings. However!!! Xanax often has the negative affddm

I dont mean to be hypocritical, but lots of expensive, purified water can flush potent cristy meth out of your system. But I confess though not suggest, I medicated with clonazepam, and 50 mg.of seroquel. I'm still up, 3 days going, but am very calm. Just that electricity running my brain you know?

The correct answer is going to vary based on each person's unique circumstances, but if all variables are equal, Opioids are much more deadly than Benzodiazepines in essentially every context including the one we're talking about here. Benzodiazepines are not going to be lethal without another central nervous system depressant on board already. Benzodiazepines are extremely dangerous when taken with other CNS depressants and pretty much non-lethal as a single agent. Opioids definitely are lethal enough on their own and the potentially lethal dose is dangerously close to the dose used for recreational purposes.

So, it's all relative. I can agree with that. I am a diabetic with a fear of repeating my experience with benzos.And what I've seen in mental hospitalizations I agree.

I was just rereading this thread and wanted to throw out some interesting information.

This isn't super-relevant at this stage, as Carisoprodol (Soma) is prescribed to a much-lesser extent in Western Medicine than it has been historically. Carisoprodol seemed to get swept up in the backlash on prescribing resulting from the Opioid Epidemic. These days, it seems the only people who get it prescribed are the people for whom it is genuinely indicated - spastic problems, certain headache disorders etc. A lot of people still abuse Carisoprodol though, as it's readily available through online channels, so I thought I would throw this out there.

Recent information seems to imply that Carisoprodol itself is responsible for the effects of said drug and that it's conversion to Meprobamate is a distant second in terms of the effects, especially those desired by recreational users. Literature I've read implies that Carisoprodol is in fact more potent than Meprobamate and is likely a more abusable drug than the latter.

It seems like there is a lot of conjecture out there. It still stands that whatever drug is responsible, it behaves like a Barbiturate and has a similar, negative safety profile, especially when combined with other central nervous system depressants.

Hell if you're really in a pinch alcohol even works...if I didn't have anything else I'd usually accompany a comedown with a 24 oz can of beer, for the dual purpose of hydration and to speed along the comedown process through the mild depressant effect of the alcohol, thus helping me get to calm my mind and get to sleep

I have heared and witness professional smokers ask for diazepam... fuck xanax is usually next. :)
even older coke heads
i prefer the smack in the face from quick and hard hitting benzos. :shrug: