• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Which is less damaging for your brain? Benzo or neuroleptic?

Memantine

Bluelighter
I've ben on neuroleptics in the past but I quit them because I was scared of frying my brain. But now I'm using too many benzo's.

My doctor proposed aripiprazole as an alternative to my benzo (alprazolam). So which one is the least damaging?

BZDs are only "non-damaging" if you restrict their use for acute panic episodes only, or in chronic daily use you use them for less than 2 weeks. Otherwise you're going to go down the benzo tolerance road.

Neuroleptics, properly dosed and selected so you don't get too many side effects, are probably better for you in the long-term if you have a condition that needs management with them.

I think the question should really be "Is the medication for the disease worse than the untreated disease?".

But I personally don't think lower dose atypical antipsychotics are the hellspawn that people make them out to be.

I've ben on neuroleptics in the past but I quit them because I was scared of frying my brain. But now I'm using too many benzo's.

My doctor proposed aripiprazole as an alternative to my benzo (alprazolam). So which one is the least damaging?

In terms of damage caused over prolonged use, neuroleptics.

Benzodiazepines play around with a one or two neurotransmitters and mostly GABA1 and GABA2, whereas some neuroleptics like Quatiapine and Olanzepine has antagonism over more than 28 neurotransmitters. That is only the ones known about, fuck knows what else it does and what else it has antagonism over.

That is why Olanzepine can bring you completely off an Acid trip. It shuts your brain the-fuck-down.