• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Trigger Warning Which drugs have had the worse effect on your mental health that were hardest to quit?

I've got banned from reddit several times. A couple other forums too. One in particular, many times, that ended up IP banning me, then took the liberty to actively vet out new members names and passwords to ban me if anything seemed too similar.

Anyway, I too like this forum.

Also, I wish I could concisely explain the effect of all the drugs I've tried, but I think it ultimately comes down to clear headedness for me. Or judgement as Eryximachus put it.

I wish there were things that had reliable, controllable, and immediate releases of the most pleasurable feelings within my brain. However the best ones I know leave me high and dry

social medias commonly have had very serious negative effects on my cognitive abilities and well-being, and that is more serious than effects of many drugs. AT LEAST DRUGS MAKE YOU FEEL GOOD, social media sometimes just make people fucking insane.

Certain cycling forum and bluelight are fucking awesome, because I think they really are communities in which everyone is more or less contributing, more or less consciously, to mutual plot.

MDMA use i would say had the worst effect on mental health for me.

Opioids have a rough patch during the withdrawl but you go back to normal after it’s over.

Opioids, especially Heroin, were the worst to come off physically. Almost at 30 days and I'm still not 100%, although thats likely due to me now weaning down from the codeine I was taking to mitigate some of the symptoms. I know from experience that you do fully recover in time and due to my method this time around I've dragged the process out a little bit - however if I hadnt I'm sure I would have relapsed hard or possibly not have managed to get through the withdrawals at all.

Cannabis was the worst for me, psychologically speaking. Luckily there was no long-term damage but it makes my anxiety worse and caused me to become extremely paranoid for a while. I hate that drug and I just fail to see the recreational value in it (and I gave it many chances in all manner of forms from all over the world), but different strokes for different folks as they tend to say, eh. I know it worked wonders for my father, except when he couldn't get it due to droughts...he was definitely dependent on it in hindsight.

I remember there was a severe drought at the beginning of the pandemic and my father would get sweats and severely depressed/demotivated from not having it. I hated seeing him like that and I pulled every string I could think of to get him some but for months it wasn't happening until eventually some crap weed began coming about which was better than nothing at all, so he felt. He was as dependent on hash as I was on Opioids. I wasn't aware you could get withdrawals like that from hash (and I don't understand the science behind why you would) but I suppose if your body is used to having that substance every day for decades and its abruptly cut off there's going to be some sort of consequence. I've noticed the sweats/hyper-hydrolysis seem to be an almost universal symptom of withdrawals no matter the substance. Ditropan works well for it.