• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Benzos Which benzo do you think works the best for severe anxiety?

OP, I just want to make sure that you're fully aware of the potentially negative outcome of using Benzodiazepines for long periods of time. Benzodiazepines essentially replaced the older and much more dangerous Barbiturates several decades ago. People used to die all the time from Barbiturate overdose, so when BZD's came around, they were totally welcome.

The medical community has, in the past couple of decades come around to the idea that long-term use of these drugs can cause all kinds of nasty shit above and beyond the well-known dangers of addiction, dependence and withdrawal. People experience permanent cognitive problems in some folks, so they are being prescribed less in favor of a wide range of different drugs.

I'm not implying anything about you. I definitely don't know enough to say anything definitive about your specific case, but I feel obliged to mention that possibility. These drugs are very effective in most short-term cases, but when used chronically, they can really exacerbate an already shitty situation.

If you're using Benzodiazepines for severe, acute episodes of anxiety, the go-to's are typically shorter-acting examples such as, but definitely not limited to:

Alprazolam (Xanax) - Approximately 5 hours of action

And

Lorazepam (Ativan) - A little bit longer, maybe 6-7 hours

I know it might not be an extremely popular viewpoint, but if you're dealing with anything longer than the recommended 6-8 week maximum usage, I would really encourage you to search out something other than these. You can save the Benzodiazepines for urgent situations like panic or what have you. Could you please tell us a little more about yourself so we can talk about this? We definitely want to help you, no matter what your decision is in the end. There is absolutely not judgment.

No, if 3 mg.'s klonopin still makes you feel anxious, that's when you need medical intervention. You don't need more benzo's. More benzo's will not help. The cost-benefit ratio is now way out of your favor. You need less and to be put on an anticonvulsant like carbamazepine.

What country do you live in? In most states in the U.S., you can actually just walk into a hospital, say you're going through extreme benzo withdrawal, and tell them you were gonna kill yourself over it. The hospital is now legally obligated to send you off to a psychiatric facility where they need to take medicate you to taper you off and get the help for the disease you have. Unfortunately this Covid-19 mess makes things harder.

This guy -----> https://www.bluelight.org/xf/thread...l-heres-to-help-you-out.886254/#post-14796332

has some pretty good advice at least to keep you sane.

Flualpeazolam did wonders for anxiety but it had the dirty amnesia side effect that comes with some benzos.
Reading up on the N&PD posts today I remembered NaC up to 1000mg a day helps with anxiety. (You can get 200mg pills at the pharmacy or buy "bulk" powder from a sport website we all know, that does come with a dosing spoon, which proposes up to 1500mg a day).
Why not try to throw in some Kratom or medicinal cannabis? Or heck, even ask for a ketamine spray, it seems to do wonders, especially if dosing 100-150mg every 2-3 days causing an "afterglow", that seems to be the most benefic action of medicinal ketamine, other than its recreational abuse potential..

Do you feel anxious overall, like all the time or when confronted to responsibilities, or when confronted to social gatherings? Depending on it it might be wiser to go for something else as like you said it now serves more as to keep you from withdrawal than as a medication really.

I like to say: "This nigga needs milk" and yes calcium and some of the constituents of milk such as peptides act on the brain and cause anxiolysis; I would drink liters of milk when binging on amps when I didn't want to go for EtOH ^^

Good luvk! Sometimes anxiety is just a part of growing up :)

Oh hey, it was you who made that thread. lol Free publicity.

I'm prescribed 1mg of klonopin currently and it just doesn't fuckin cut it. I've even tried taking 3mg at a time and it seriously just doesn't seem like it works for my anxiety anymore. I like the long half life but what's the point of a long half life when it doesn't help in the first place? It's basically just good for keeping me out of withdrawal at this point.

That just sounds like tolerance to me. Sadly, that's going to be the case with any benzos. Basically all you can do is either up the dosage or not use them daily. And of course upping the dosage is going to mean that you're even more physically addicted and it's going to be harder to get off if you ever need/have to. I was prescribed 2mgs of xanax daily for the better part of 7 years, and knowing what I know now I would only use benzos as needed and not daily if I ever took them again.

Practically, all benzos are great for situational anxiety. They are terrible for management of Panic Disorder or any chronic type of anxiety disorder.

It will be different for everyone. And as has been mentioned, tolerance is a problem with all benzos.

I find the best way to use benzos is PRN instead of daily use. For general anxiety I try to use cannabis as much as possible instead of benzos. I only use benzos for acute episodes. In that case alprazolam is ideal as it hits fast and has a short half-life.