• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Benzos Which benzo do you think works the best for severe anxiety?

ivorymoon

Bluelighter
I'm prescribed 1mg of klonopin currently and it just doesn't fuckin cut it. I've even tried taking 3mg at a time and it seriously just doesn't seem like it works for my anxiety anymore. I like the long half life but what's the point of a long half life when it doesn't help in the first place? It's basically just good for keeping me out of withdrawal at this point.

Which benzo do you feel is most effective for severe anxiety?

Thank you!

I prefer alprazolam, but it doesn't last as long. Clonazepam makes me feel sort of zombified without a lot of anxiety relief. I'd much prefer diazepam, which may be worth considering.

Simply tell your doctor that you aren't sure if clonazopam is the best benzodiazepine for you and ask if you could try another in its place.

hmm I think it is something very personal, each case is different, xanax reduces my anxiety better than other benzos, but it lasts for such a short time that it sucks, you could try something like lyrica or gabapentin, they are very good for anxiety, I even prefer them to the benzos, but it's like I say ... it's something personal

I use diazepam when I’m having panic attacks and I can’t chat myself out of them, 6mg is enough to calm me right down. I metabolise Benzos super fast though so it literally just works for 20 mins at most but that’s enough to stop my panic attack.

For general anxiety I found pregabalin worked much better. I was prescribed it for nerve pain but found my anxiety was practically non existent when I was on it. Gabapentin too is pretty good for anxiety plus it made me super productive as well, weirdly.

Diazepam is my favorite and the only one I seek out on the street. Clonazepam does squat for me but many seem to love it. I get alprazolam prescribed for GI pain, it's too short lived for my liking... works so well when I'm cramping though.

Really something you should talk to your doctor about though. Benzos aren't something to be taken lightly. They're a dangerous class of drugs and if you're not well-versed/working with a doctor to keep safe you can easily put yourself in a shit place, or worse, the grave.

Take care, be safe <3

I use diazepam when I’m having panic attacks and I can’t chat myself out of them, 6mg is enough to calm me right down. I metabolise Benzos super fast though so it literally just works for 20 mins at most but that’s enough to stop my panic attack.

For general anxiety I found pregabalin worked much better. I was prescribed it for nerve pain but found my anxiety was practically non existent when I was on it. Gabapentin too is pretty good for anxiety plus it made me super productive as well, weirdly.
yes, in my experience too, gabapentinoids reduce anxiety in a different way than benzos and even better for me, this morning I took 2mg of clonazepam and I still felt very anxious and had tachycardia, I took 300mg of lyrica and now I am very calm and even more positive

I'm prescribed 1mg of klonopin currently and it just doesn't fuckin cut it. I've even tried taking 3mg at a time and it seriously just doesn't seem like it works for my anxiety anymore. I like the long half life but what's the point of a long half life when it doesn't help in the first place? It's basically just good for keeping me out of withdrawal at this point.

Which benzo do you feel is most effective for severe anxiety?

Thank you!
Xanax.2mg.if that don't cut it 3-4mg should BUT HERES THE THING: that much is where the memory starts to get warped.and fuzzy.and it's verging on blackout territory.only for high tolerance or regular users.

Agreed- Clonazepam for the win!

King of the benzo’s!

Warning: DO NOT EVER RUN OUT!!
BZDs are very subjective. If my doctor put me on clonazepam we'd have an argument, I've taken it in high doses and still never gotten why people enjoy it, nor have I gotten relief from anxiety/GI distress from it. It has nothing on diazepam or alprazolam.

So yeah, for me, clonazepam is like... Joker of the benzos. An absolute joke compared to its brethren.

Individual receptor affinities vary drastically.

BZDs are very subjective. If my doctor put me on clonazepam we'd have an argument, I've taken it in high doses and still never gotten why people enjoy it, nor have I gotten relief from anxiety/GI distress from it. It has nothing on diazepam or alprazolam.

So yeah, for me, clonazepam is like... Joker of the benzos. An absolute joke compared to its brethren.

Individual receptor affinities vary drastically.

alright.
I see your point.
people have different chemistry and different needs.

I am not taking clonazepam for anxiety. Oh NO! It is for something MUCH worse than that and it works for me.
It saved my dad major Problems through Double Parkinson’s Disease.

These medications are for serious health issues in my opinion.
NOT RECREATIONAL!

To each their own though.

Live and let Live!

alright.
I see your point.
people have different chemistry and different needs.

I am not taking clonazepam for anxiety. Oh NO! It is for something MUCH worse than that and it works for me.
It saved my dad major Problems through Double Parkinson’s Disease.

These medications are for serious health issues in my opinion.
NOT RECREATIONAL!

To each their own though.

Live and let Live!
I agree, only people who have legitimate needs should be using BZDs. I'm guessing you take clonazepam for its anti-convulsant properties? In such a case, yes, it is then king of the BZDs!

For me, I have to take alprazolam, because the myorelaxant properties interrupt GI distress that was causing me to end up in the hospital thinking my appendix was about to burst. So I hate how 'Xanax' is hyped in rap music to the youth, because if it were ever banned or my doctor cut me off, I'd experience levels of pain that no human should endure.

Two sides of the same coin <3

yes, in my experience too, gabapentinoids reduce anxiety in a different way than benzos and even better for me, this morning I took 2mg of clonazepam and I still felt very anxious and had tachycardia, I took 300mg of lyrica and now I am very calm and even more positive

I agree with this, gabapentinoids work the best for anxiety for me of anything I've tried. They last a long time and instead of shutting down part of your brain, they produce a lovely feeling that everything is okay and positive, there is some euphoria involved, and they make me confident and content, without sacrificing any performance (in fact I play music better on them). The problem is that tolerance builds rapidly if you take them every day and the withdrawal is quite bad (of course so is benzo withdrawal). Also I'm not sure how they would work for someone with a severe anxiety disorder because benzos seem to shut down the anxiety part of the brain, whereas I've felt anxious if h it with something heavy on gabapentinoids. The anxiety relief from them seems to stem from a change in the default mode network (ie, you start coming from a place of positivity instead of automatically going to the negative).

I would also mention Lorazepam. It works quickly and there is also a form of sublingual Lorazepam- when you're having a panic attack it works superfast.

JJ

I find that Clonazepam works best for me when I couple it with gabapentin. I do 1mg Clonazepam on empty stomach, full glass of water. About 30 min later 1200mg gabapentin with a fatty snack, I like cheese tortilla but whatever floats your boat. Throw in an nsaid, nsaids and fat help the gaba stay in your system, you can only absorb so much. I re dose gaba every 3 hours about 300-600mg depending on anxiety level and add .5mg Clonazepam at 6-8 hours. At bedtime, 50mg seroquel. I can stay reasonably low on anxiety this way. Everyone is different though, may be worth a try. Good luck and you have my sympathy. Anxiety is a nasty bitch demon.

Last edited:
The initial 1200mg dose of gabapentin isn't going to all absorb, I would do max 600mg at a time. I find 300mg every 30 minutes gets me the farthest with the least amount of gabapentin. You'll only absorb about 50% at most of that 1200mg taken all at once.

I've tried klonopin, gabapentin, ativan, and xanax, but have no anxiety disorder.

For me, the xanax was the one that made me most zombie like. And i would assume the more zombie like the better, if i had anxiety? Though not too functional. Gabapentin was most functional for me.

It's not the most pleasurable, IME, that's for sure (xanax).

Flualpeazolam did wonders for anxiety but it had the dirty amnesia side effect that comes with some benzos.
Reading up on the N&PD posts today I remembered NaC up to 1000mg a day helps with anxiety. (You can get 200mg pills at the pharmacy or buy "bulk" powder from a sport website we all know, that does come with a dosing spoon, which proposes up to 1500mg a day).
Why not try to throw in some Kratom or medicinal cannabis? Or heck, even ask for a ketamine spray, it seems to do wonders, especially if dosing 100-150mg every 2-3 days causing an "afterglow", that seems to be the most benefic action of medicinal ketamine, other than its recreational abuse potential..

Do you feel anxious overall, like all the time or when confronted to responsibilities, or when confronted to social gatherings? Depending on it it might be wiser to go for something else as like you said it now serves more as to keep you from withdrawal than as a medication really.

I like to say: "This nigga needs milk" and yes calcium and some of the constituents of milk such as peptides act on the brain and cause anxiolysis; I would drink liters of milk when binging on amps when I didn't want to go for EtOH ^^

Good luvk! Sometimes anxiety is just a part of growing up :)

Last edited: