• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Which B vitamins exactly will prevent getting Korsakov's syndrome (aka wet brain)

MrsGamp

Bluelighter
Since I seem unable to stop drinking right now was wondering which B vitamins will (so I have heard) forestall Korsakov's syndrome.
Which is the only alcohol-related illness that truly scares me...

That would be Thiamin. It is Vitamin B1. Here is an article on the subject of preventive administration of this stuff. It looks like information on oral administration is scarce but it is given all the time intravenously.

I have always assumed that there must be some benefit.

Thanks Keif! I recently got myself a "women's" multivitamin which contains B1 among other things. But I ought just get B1- or a B vitamin supplement in general- cos women's vitamins always contain iron which I neither need nor like...

Thanks Keif! I recently got myself a "women's" multivitamin which contains B1 among other things. But I ought just get B1- or a B vitamin supplement in general- cos women's vitamins always contain iron which I neither need nor like...

Thiamin supplementation in cases of severe alcoholism are usually high dose, in the hundreds of milligrams. Doubt you need that much however. A b-complex vitamin should be fine.

How much are you drinking on a daily basis?

Ugh, on a really bad day, two litres of wine. Usually about a litre at least. I've only been doing this for about 4 months. But it's already making me pretty crook. I'm a small woman, with woman's smaller liver...

Do you smoke? Inhibits absorption of many vitamins, C and D for certain.

yeah I do smoke. Not all that heavily-5 to 10 cigs a day.
Am trying to quit or at least cut back by using nicotine gum...

Thanks!
For once am not hungover today cos brother gave me enough benzo yesterday for me to finally have a sleep without getting wasted.
I'm already on Valium but very strictly staged supply - just 5 mgs per day. Since I'm having a very anxious time right now I am always taking 2 at least and then I find I have to resort to booze just to make the Valium last long enough.
There is NOTHING grosser than benzo WD.
My doc insists I couldn't really get benzo WD from only one a day. I don't dare admit I am supplementing her script with illegally obtained benzo quite a bit.
I think,I need to find a new doc who will just let me take 2 a day instead of only one...just to stop drinking.
I also think the drink is a reaction to coming off months of being on very strong painkillers for smashed up knee. Even though it was legally prescribed etc and I had step down meds to help me get off its still hard to get used to life without opiates after about 8 months of having them...

get off the benzos sweetie, any way you can.
Yeah that's partly what the booze is about ... Wish to God I'd never met up with "Aunty Val".
Its a prick to get off.
Did manage it for several years about 9 years ago ...but not via staged supplies. I used to get 50 at a time and very very slowly I weaned off. You need discipline though. And at the time I was highly motivated because I wanted to test totally clean in context of custody dispute.
Now it's so often like: "why bother"? - it seems so hopeless. I can't even imagine getting a job again.

Yeah that's partly what the booze is about ... Wish to God I'd never met up with "Aunty Val".
Its a prick to get off.
Did manage it for several years about 9 years ago ...but not via staged supplies. I used to get 50 at a time and very very slowly I weaned off. You need discipline though. And at the time I was highly motivated because I wanted to test totally clean in context of custody dispute.
Now it's so often like: "why bother"? - it seems so hopeless. I can't even imagine getting a job again.
Youre young, and seem tough. Why bother? Your daughter

B1/ Thiamine is the one, but (most) of the B's get absorberd better when combined. So a B-complex has some thing to it.

die Jugend heutzutage...
Thiamin supplementation in cases of severe alcoholism are usually high dose, in the hundreds of milligrams. Doubt you need that much however. A b-complex vitamin should be fine.

How much are you drinking on a daily basis?

Hey,

yes, B-Komplex is very useful plus a lot of electrolyts. and And yes, doube-or triple dosed for a few days. Addiitionaly I would take something to clean your liver out - Alphaliponacid .Everyting without Side-Effects bt helpful supplements

JJ

EDITT Vit. D3 plus Zink for your immunesystem - It works! :

Last edited: