View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Wheres mescaline in medical science?

al-laddin

Bluelighter
Ok so if youre at all interested in psychedelic science you have probably noticed that both LSD and psilocybin have been recently used in medical studies on humans. It is the current belief that LSD and psilocybin possess the ability to improve psychological wellness in several ways. There are studies out saying that psilocybin may help improve ones overall personality and lift depression. Also they have found neurogenesis occurring in people under the influence of the sacred mushroom.

Further LSD has also been touted by both mainstream science and counter culturists to be useful. When it was first discovered LSD was used for problem solving and was also said to produce mystical experience much in the same , but not exactly like psilocybin.

My question is , where was mescaline during all this? Where is mescaline now? LSD and psilocybin are currently or recently being studied on humans medically. Why not mescaline? Mescaline has a more "spiritual" feel than LSD which can be described as more "cosmic" but its closely spiritual in effects to psilocybin but there seems to be no interest in studying it medically? Im willing to bet it has similar effects on well being that psilocybing possesses , possibly some unique effects not widely known in medicine. Just curious if anyone may have any info on this. Thanks.

I'd imagine the frequency of vomiting and other side effects, the fact you need at least 1/2 gram, and far lower LD/50 as compared with tryptamines and LSD is why.

Actually from what I understand 500 mg would be a really high dose. In fact 500-600 mg is the highest dosage according to erowd, the average being 300 mg for a "strong" experience. Also, most psychedelics cause nausea in many people. Ive never had nausea too extreme from cacti. In fact Ive never vomited from it and nausea occurs once in a while when I take any psychedelic just as randomly as it does with cacti. I could be an exception, however.

Actually from what I understand 500 mg would be a really high dose. In fact 500-600 mg is the highest dosage according to erowd, the average being 300 mg for a "strong" experience. Also, most psychedelics cause nausea in many people. Ive never had nausea too extreme from cacti. In fact Ive never vomited from it and nausea occurs once in a while when I take any psychedelic just as randomly as it does with cacti. I could be an exception, however.

That's not really the case. I think the dosages for mescaline you see in literature (like the standard Huxley dosage of 400mg of the sulphate) are just what people have been saying for 60 years and it sticks. But trust me on this, 300mg mescaline (and I'm speaking of the more potent hcl form) does very little, it takes (for most people, as I am aware anyway) 500mg to even reach a +++. I went as high as 700mg and was wanting more. And I had no nausea or vomiting from pure mescaline either, next to 2C-C (the two are very much alike) it was the gentlest and easiest psychedelic I've had.

I vomit from both 2c-c and mescaline (300mg). That is not to say they aren't gentle, mescaline even more so than 2c-c IME.
300mg was not overwhelming at all and I can easily see myself taking the dose higher.

Remember that Aldous Huxley was a fairly frail old man who had never tripped in his life - and he found 400mg of mescaline pretty comfortable. So the idea that anyone who has been tripping for 20 years on acid is going to be overwhelmed by a low dose of mescaline is unlikely to say the least.

Mescaline isn't used simply because of the side effects and LSD was easier to mass produce.

Fair enough, Ismene. I wasn't around in the sixties but from the literature and information available there is definitely a pop culturesque mystique surrounding LSD from that time that never completely dissapated. This may have happened do to its availability and ease of use compared to mescaline. I find it odd, albeit extremely plausible that dosage and availability is what led to LSD cultural phenomena, considering how easily the masses are influenced by media propagation.

Don't forget the fact that LSD just rocks lol. I really don't think it's odd at all. Dosage and availability helped it I'm sure, but the reason people were dosing high on it and making it available was because it's just a kick ass psychedelic. It's worth noting too that if you lived in like America or Europe in the '60s you had much more than likely never heard of magic mushrooms, shamans using ayahuasca, mescaline, or any kind of psychedelic really, and there was no psychedelic art or media constantly being fed to you from a young age like there is today. LSD coming on to the scene would have been completely and utterly mind-blowing to you, and considering that it has no side effects at all compared to mescaline, it's really no surprise at all that LSD was the more popular one, because people would of course just want to explore this life-changing new phenomenon in the cleanest way possible. As I said in your other thread too, back then they thought a gram of mescaline would kill you; they knew absolutely nothing about these chemicals. I don't blame people for not wanting to take it.