• Bluelight
    Shrine

A memorial
    to Bluelighters
    who have passed away

Where Wolf? - May his memory ever be for a blessing

Seeking Where?

Greenlighter
From Where Wolf?'s Eulogy 21 February 2013, Posted by Seeking Where?

We are gathered here today for one reason alone: we have no choice. We must accept the bitter task of burying Reuben, beloved son and brother, cherished friend and lover. We mourn him in these terms, yet to define him by the roles he played in our various shattered lives says too little. Reuben was a precious soul, an incomparable gift. Bright to the point of incandescence; his eyes flashed fire. He saw more – thought more – read more – understood more – felt more than others. This brought him both great insight and much, much too much, pain.

People would often describe Reuben as ‘intense,’ and he knew that he was not always easy to be around. “I am an uncomfortable friend,” he once remarked. Perhaps that is why he tended to keep to himself as much as he did. He struggled to make and keep close relationships, though he desperately wanted them. He was often drawn to the wounded, the damaged: suffering soul to suffering soul. The alienated, the isolated and the lonely were his people. In recent years, he spent much of his limited personal energy trying to support others over the internet, some on the edge of suicide, seeking to convince them that life was beautiful and worth the struggle. He did this although he found it hard to believe himself, particularly when he was plagued with migraine. For one who could seem so fierce, his gentleness could be astonishing and his compassion, deep and sustaining.

Partly due to his relative isolation, Reuben was deeply loyal to his family, though not blindly. He could be a harsh critic, though hard words were often conveyed with acerbic wit. He could be very funny, though there was often something painful in the humour. This was not always the case, however: all of us will be able to remember what Aileen called that wonderful spontaneous rip of a laugh. It had a generosity of spirit about it, even when the humour was reflexive.

What people might not know about Reuben is that he was a deeply spiritual man. Nothing would irritate him more than for the idea of God to be reduced to mere metaphor. “The God of Jacob is real,” he said, speaking the truth he felt in the depths of his being. Yet the classic understanding of Judaism, with its binary thinking and categorising mentality, was deeply unsatisfying to him. Holy/profane. Kosher/treif. Pure / defiled. Jewish / non-Jewish. He knew that human experience isn’t so easily named or tamed. Reuben’s philosophy was that of a radical monist after the Chasidic masters, influenced by an interest in Shabbatai Tzvi. He believed, as they did, that everything comes from ONE source and that God cannot be reduced to what is ‘good, beautiful and true.’ Everything that exists has the potential for holiness; we can redeem the sparks of God in all things. Reuben saw nothing as inherently pure. Everything in its true nature is mixed, like the sky at twilight and at dawn. He knew better than most that if there is not this mixing of light and dark, then what you are looking at is an illusion. Paradox was the hallmark of Divinity for him. In his own person, he felt that he embodied both light and shadow, b’tzelem Elohim¸ in the true image of God.

By his own diagnosis, Reuben believed that he suffered from dysthymia, a chronic depressive disease that too often coloured his view of life, leading him to bouts of paralysis and self-doubt. This was hard for others to accept, as his skill as a wordsmith and his talent for narrative fiction were manifest not only in the novels he wrote, but even in his texts and email correspondence. He believed that the condition was also at the root of his repeated experience of addiction, though he did not use that as an excuse. He felt ashamed of the state the drugs had reduced him to, and that led him to lash out at times. That he hurt those whom he loved grieved him deeply, and sadly made him withdraw. Although that caused us pain, we know that he was seeking lovingly to protect us.

We who remain wish we could have protected him. Reuben cared so much, but felt so helpless. He found it impossible to be content with making small differences, feeling that the mess the world was in demanded bigger gestures and an urgency he could not summon from inside himself. That he wrote so little in recent months is a great sorrow, for he once told me that his words were his soul. Thankfully, some precious fragments remain, and we will share some of them. As we hear his voice, let us remember him and give thanks for the many ways in which he touched our lives. May his memory ever be for a blessing.

Rest in Peace Reuben, Thanks for sharing your writing and help to those in need, these things will never be forgotten. Life can be short but it's the things you leave behind that will forever show people what a kind and intelligent person you were, So sorry to the family and friends, I hope you can find some comfort in this very emotional time.
Peace, NW

Rest in peace Reuben and my sincere condolences to those that knew him.

It is near impossible to think that someone so kind could suffer so much. The world is a sad place and he saw that with clear eyes. What made him so special was that he still insisted on seeing the beauty as well. The world needs such clear vision.

I am so sorry for your loss, as well as the loss felt by all his family and those here that came to count on his support, his wisdom and his kindness.

<3

Where Wolf? is my son. I am trying to live without him and floundering. Thank you all for supporting him and giving him a community. I know he was valuable to you too. I cannot begin to tell you how much I miss him and the dialogue we shared, which is irreplaceable.

Where Wolf? Bless him forever

A month today since Where Wolf? was here in his room behind my study where I am now, safe, I thought. I feel him everywhere in the house, and see him nowhere. I will light candles tonight and say the blessings over the bread and wine that meant so much to him. And pray as best I can for him - to him - I prayed that night a month ago, for him and all of us, his father who was there and his brother. We all need prayers now. The ache of missing him rises in me as I write this, the loss of his presence, his voice, his being - beyond belief, beyond the reproaches that also rise, asking why I didn't see the danger, that night. And all the rest. Beyond that, above and beyond it, is Reuben his precious, precious self and everything we shared and didn't share, everything he was, had been and would become. Bless him, bless him, bless Reuben Luke forever and ever and ever.

^<3 <3 <3

Reading that made me ache for you. I'm so incredibly sorry for the loss of your son.

A month today since Where Wolf? was here in his room behind my study where I am now, safe, I thought. I feel him everywhere in the house, and see him nowhere. I will light candles tonight and say the blessings over the bread and wine that meant so much to him. And pray as best I can for him - to him - I prayed that night a month ago, for him and all of us, his father who was there and his brother. We all need prayers now. The ache of missing him rises in me as I write this, the loss of his presence, his voice, his being - beyond belief, beyond the reproaches that also rise, asking why I didn't see the danger, that night. And all the rest. Beyond that, above and beyond it, is Reuben his precious, precious self and everything we shared and didn't share, everything he was, had been and would become. Bless him, bless him, bless Reuben Luke forever and ever and ever.

Bless Reuben and bless you and bless the love that you both created which is eternal.<3

Yet another Shabbat without Reuben. The memorial candle still burns by his picture, even though traditionally the time for acute mourning is officially past. It will never be past for me, it seems. My Shabbat candles burn as well; he so loved candlelight, but especially candles lit in honour of holiness and wholeness. God bless and keep you, my love - my light. The world is darker without you in it.

“Speak you too,
speak as the last,
say out your say.

Speak-
But don’t split off No from Yes.
Give your say this meaning too:
Give it the shadow.

Give it shadow enough,
Give it as much
As you know is spread round you from
Midnight to midday and midnight.

Look around:
See how things all come alive-
By death! Alive!
Speaks true who speaks shadow.

But now the place shrinks, where you stand:
Where now, shadow-stripped, where?
Climb. Grope upwards.
Thinner you grow, less knowable, finer!
Finer: a thread
The star wants to descend on:
So as to swim down beliow, down here
Where it sees itself shimmer: in the swell
Of wandering words.”

― Paul Celan

What a beautiful poem, Seeking Where?. "But now the place shrinks where you stand" is a heartbreaking line. For those of us left behind it is so important to continually pull our gaze back from that spot "where you stand" and to see the wide space the departed now occupy, which we also will occupy in our own time.

"Someday I, too
will be crossing over.
In tonight's dream:
a floating bridge
to the other shore."

Thict Nhat Hanh

I sense that a connection remains between the dead and us, which is why the line I focus on in this poem is the fine thread - fine, but strong enough to support a dancing star. Might it not be that the shrinking of one's place in this space/time means a corresponding broadening of a place elsewhere? It may in this other dimension, linked with ours by that thread, that our loved ones continue their journey.

You are right, we shall join them on that path one day. And even if we don't quite catch them up, our love races ahead of us. God bless.

I have come back to that wonderful Celan poem, maybe wasn't ready for it before. Today it is six weeks since Reuben whom many people knew as Where Wolf? died here at home, in the room behind me as I write. I still think of him there and feel him there now, but I also feel the enormity of emptiness and loss, more and more and more of that, infinite, it seems. The world here in Merseyside is white and blank with snow and it fits what I feel. But what I want to say, and do, is honor Reuben in the acknowledgement of shadow, the refusal to deny, the struggle to hold it and know it. He struggled with it and I honor, respect and love him for that and in that and I always will. He has led me here, where there is nothing to do but honor him in everything I do. And love him. Love him. My love for him is also infinite.

The toxicology report was sad to read - unfortunately, it showed that Reuben had taken heroin again after almost two months of abstaining from all opiates. His death was from an accidental overdose, probably because his system was no longer able to cope with the quantity he had taken before.

As he wrote here on Bluelight - heroin seems to give a great deal, but it takes back with interest. The price this time was his life.

Those who loved him are paying also, with pain and sorrow.

Oh no ! :( Only just seen this.

Another good, thoughtfull & kind soul lost. He tried very hard to help and warn me about the dangers of benzos when i was first getting into them a couple of years ago.

RIP Wherewolf.

The benzos were also part of this, of course - please, please, anyone who reads this, stop and consider. Where Wolf was a VERY knowledgeable drug user; even his doc and drugs counsellor were amazed by his grasp of drug-interactions, half-lives, etc.... And it only took one mistake, one miscalculation after a period of abstinence (or simply a variance in the quality of supply, who knows?) and he is gone. Benzos, heroin and alcohol - any two together are dangerous, the three even more so.

RIP? We didn't want Reuben peaceful, we wanted him as he was: full of life and fire, ranting with passion about politics, cheerfully arguing with us about damned near everything. The world is so much greyer without him.

The Numbers Game – by Emily Berry, from Dear Boy

Take care of the person
He/she is fragile and has a propensity to die
Look at the soft cups of their eyes, if you need any more proof

I have known a person who, in contravention of the given
narrative, was taken down
(Reached an end point too soon)
We could not explain the circumstance which most definitely,
factually happened
The language showed its seams and could not help
Not at its most bald, or decorated

When a person we love it taken off it is –

1. Better and worse than we might have imagined. Better, because,
mostly, we do not fail to go on living. Which is, after all, the
main agenda.

This is one kind of experience:

You find a rope to hold
You are on a steep incline and you drag yourself upwards
or you hang on in stasis
You cannot describe it except to say there is no light, your
hands on the rope are raw and your whole body aches
At every moment you think
I cannot go on
But you go on

This is one way of getting through but
As you can see it is not very satisfactory
To pass through something is rarely unscathing
There is also getting by
Getting by in not getting through, to paraphrase a person
Who famously

2. Worse because –

It might be better not to make any other suggestions.

I was very young when I was cracked open.

Some things you should let go of
Others you shouldn’t
Views differ as to which

I kept hold of everything, just in case

We are trained to revere life
To look back on it at the end of a person’s life and count what we have
found of value
This is a kind of comfort
On the whole I conform to this theory
After all, what else can we do?

Praise be for the human spirit, and the spirits of animals,
which also soar
Praise be for the gentle, brokenhearted person

When the terrible thing happened someone said Be strong
As if we might lay steel cables for bones, petrify our whole soft viscera

(The skin is a sort of protective organ and yet it is not safe from most
things, it is a jolly weak kind of coating to put on a vulnerable person.)

I repeated the phrase to someone in crisis
I do not know if they managed to achieve it

From a wonderful collection, published Faber and Faber, 2013, pp. 53-55. Formatting here is not exactly as it appears despite efforts to duplicate

Life feels so bleak without Reuben, but his family and all of us who loved him are determined to keep his memory alive. I will not give up on hope, despite the pain.

He carried the following poem in his wallet. Perhaps others will find inspiration in it.

Sometimes
by Sheenagh Pugh

Sometimes things don’t go, after all
from bad to worse. Some years, muscadel
faces down frost; green thrives; the crops don’t fail.
Sometimes a man aims high, and all goes well.

A people sometimes will step back from war;
elect an honest man; decide they care
enough, that they can’t leave some stranger poor.
Some men become what they were born for.

Sometimes our best efforts do not go
amiss; sometimes we do as we meant to.
The sun will sometimes melt a field of sorrow
that seemed hard frozen: it may happen to you