• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Harm Reduction where to get saline solution

The amount of benzyl alcohol in it seems low, so I assume it's safe for IV use, yeah? I've never heard of it being used for IV, so this is all totally new to me.

And is it only better if you're making solutions that are supposed to sit around for a while? For a one off shot, would saline still be the better choice?

The amount of benzyl alcohol in it seems low, so I assume it's safe for IV use, yeah? I've never heard of it being used for IV, so this is all totally new to me.

And is it only better if you're making solutions that are supposed to sit around for a while? For a one off shot, would saline still be the better choice?

It may seem low but I think it's safe for IV use. Here's what it says in the tray that I got (sorry for any neonate junkies that are out there reading this ;)):

BACTERIOSTATIC WATER
for Injection, USP Rx only
Multiple-dose Plastic Vial
Warning: Not for use in neonates
Description: The following preparation is designed solely for parenteral use only after addition of drugs that require dilution or must be dissolved in an aqueous vehicle prior to injection.
Bacteriostatic Water for Injection, USP is a sterile, nonpyrogenic preparation of water for injection containing 0.9% (9mg/mL) of benzyl alcohol added as a bacteriostatic preservative. It is supplied in a multi-dose container from which repeated withdrawals may be made to dilute or dissolve drugs for injection. The pH is 5.7 (4.5 to 7.0).
Water for Injection, USP is chemically designated H20.
The semi-rigid vial is fabricated from a specially formulated polyolefin. It is a copolymer of ethylene and propylene. The safety of the plastic that has been confirmed by tests in animals according to USP biological standards for plastic containers. The container requires no vapor barrier to maintain the proper labeled volume.

As for if saline is better for shots not sitting around (for use now), I have no idea. Sorry. I'm assuming either is fine, but I am not 100% sure.

If you are doing test shots (water only) then ONLY use saline.

Intravenous injection of Bacteriostatic Water for Injection without a solute may result in hemolysis.

Yup.

wiki said:
Drugs which must be injected to have the usually sought effect include ketamine, fentanil (fentanyl)-class opioids, and many other are much weaker and/or very different by mouth than by injection (or other rapid methods like smoking or insufflation, which are often intermediate betwixt injection and other methods rather than being just like injection), e.g. some groups of opioids, cocaine, &c. In many cases with opioids and some depressants, IV administration is the only route that causes the "rush" or "bang" 100 per cent of the time mutatis mutandis.

All of these drugs need to be dissolved in a vehicle, usually either water or 9‰ (0.9 per cent) saline.

linky

The reason I ask is I have some saline thats for wounds and it say not for injection, do they just put that on all saline or is there a difference in saline for wounds and injection saline?

There might be a difference. Some brands of saline have other things in it besides .9 percent NaCL. Check the back of the bottle or on the box it came in it for the ingredients list and make sure there are no other chemicals/drugs in it.

Saline is purified and clean. Tap water has all kinds of additives in it that aren't necessarily good to be putting in your veins. Plus, the salt content in saline is exactly the same as the ratio of salt in your body, so there is no risk of putting too much in.

I know this thread is old, but swim just went out and just dropped $20 on some simply saline to use based on recommendations from this thread. He's pretty pissed since it tastes like nasty chemicals. Clearly not appropriate for doing what people in this thread might want to use it for. How could no one notice this?

Strange, chemical taste huh? Must be from the AEROSOL DELIVERY SYSTEM! They should call it simply saline and aerosol.

SWIM even tried making some of his own saline to be sure, and the homemade stuff tasted perfect. Don't buy this for that.