• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

Where my misanthropes at?

nuttynutskin

Bluelighter
Misanthrope, introvert, etc... Surely I can't be the only one who doesn't feel a big need to associate with people or deal with society more than I have to. Anyone else here have similar feelings? I can be friendly and talk to anyone if they're cool, but at the core I don't really need much human interaction. Plus my mental problems seem to be less of a problem the less I have to deal with people in general.

?‍♂️ Though I'm not sure what the proportion is,
I don't want to associate with people : They don't want to associate with me.
I wasn't always like this and hope not to be again sometime soon.

I don't think I'm that fun to be around if I'm sober because I'm so inside my head all the time.

I'm an introvert for sure but not a misanthrope, quite the opposite. I think humans on the whole are great. Just because so far in my own life in my own tiny, tiny corner of existence, and human history, I haven't found too many people I've wanted to spend a whole lot of time with... well, I don't think this has much objective relevance and I try not to let it affect my view of reality.

Not sure if you're being serious about the whole misanthropy thing or just being kind of tongue in cheek, but I think allowing introversion to progress to actual misanthropy is a mistake and a dark road to go down. Like it or not - we are all in the same boat, that boat being planet Earth in this particular strand of the multiverse. :sneaky:

It's both humorous and serious. A lot of times I think "humanity" is about equivalent to the cancer of the earth, but I can be friends with someone if they're cool. I probably just won't hang out with them.

I also feel that humanity is a cancer upon the Earth, however I still love individuals and I find that most people are good if you're good to them. Like Vastness said, I think misanthropy is a dark road to go down, I was starting to go there towards the end of my opiate addiction. People generally respond well to you if you're open and share of yourself. I try to just be that way and it seems to attract people. I was a serious introvert as a kid, I was shy but also a lot of it was just the general abuse I got from my peers overall. I always had a close group of friends who were like family to be (and have always found that in different stages of my life, too), but by and large my peers picked on me a lot so I tended to be quiet and shy. At college and through my twenties that started to change and now, at 35, I find myself an extrovert most of the time, I WANT to talk to people, meet people. Like when I get an Uber ride, I'm looking forward to talking to a new person and getting to know them just a little.

I think feeling misanthropic is itself a turn-off to people. It's a vicious cycle. The more bad about yourself you feel, and the more distrust you feel towards individuals you meet, the more they're going to feel these things from you and subconsciously feel repelled or at least not attracted.

Anyway sorry I'm kinda high and diverging from the point I was trying to make, which is that it's possible to hold both views: that humanity as a sum total is destructive and cancerous and cruel, and yet still hold the view that any given individual is probably cool if they were showing you who they really are. The key is to show them who you really are so that they want to do the same. Think about when you meet someone and they're dismissive of you, or rude, or even brusque and distracted. It doesn't make you feel great, it's gonna make you feel closed off or even defensive. Sometimes I think people don't realize how they're coming off to others. So much of communication is non-verbal through body language, and facial language is the loudest.

I re-read this post and I hope it doesn't come across as me telling you not to feel misanthropic or that I have any sort of negative opinion of you about it. The feeling makes sense to reach, sadly. I just wanted to try to say that I don't think it's necessary and there are ways to be aware of that you can improve the situation, IF you want to (because for me, when I felt that way, it made me angry and sad and depressed and I hated it).

Idk, I'm just pessimistic and not a social person but it's not like I walk around angry all the time or something. For the most part just prefer to be alone. I will say it makes it that much cooler when you do come across someone that isn't an asshole or whatever.

This is kind of off-the-wall but I was just thinking, if humankind are a cancer, we are the cells... and wouldn't it be interesting if it turned out that in actual cancers in humans, the individual cells were actually engaged in some kind of sentient, conscious discourse on some layer of reality that we cannot perceive, with some groups being opposed to rampant multiplication at the expense of the host, and other groups (probably most analogous to early-industrial capitalists) just seeing it as their god-given duty to multiply at all cost... and when people experience spontaneous remission, it's when the more moralistic, maybe environmentalist elements of that cancer-society have won out and so collectively decide to stop their destructive policies so that the host can survive. :unsure::sneaky:

I go through misanthropic phases, but I'm always an introvert. I used to be a lot more extroverted, but a long series of disappointments and betrayals have led me to be a lot more guarded. I still love people deep down, but I don't have the universal trusting nature that I used to. Humanity is a big disappointment. I still do things to try and minimize my own human footprint on this planet, but on the whole I am here for my own inner work and development. I don't care much about trying to teach others or rescue people anymore. Most people are degenerate or on the path of self-destruction, and I am content to allow them to do that.

Unfortunately, I am stuck in North America / the west, where society is degenerating fast. I feel like I am going to be alive to see the end times on this planet, with the way things are going. Having been through my own personal apocalypse several times over in the past 5 years, it might actually be exhilarating to watch this civilization burn. It would make a lot more sense to me than continuing to watch the never ending cycles of dysfunctionality I see. I have a much more prominent interest and heart opening toward non-human life, while they are still alive. For me, any and all interest in "helping humans to be better" disappeared when some of my favourite species went extinct.

As for day to day living... the average person is incredibly ignorant and unaware, and best avoided. This technological age with social media has only made it worse because now we have a bunch of stupid people running around thinking they're clever because they know a bunch of factoids. My only wish now is to somehow procure the funds to move somewhere closer to nature, even if it's a shack. I don't really care. I want to be with animals and plant life, I am done with the urban ghetto... and I live in a so-called "top 10 global city". If this is as good as it gets in the human realm, count me out!

Nature is the best, I agree. I do have much more sympathy for nature than humans despite also having sympathy for humans, because nature is being just decimated and trampled all over by us.

Some of humanity is cool, but if at any time the earth decides it has had enough of our shit, I'd understand.

A bunch of people said hi to me when I was riding my bike. It was weird, I'm not used to people being nice. ?