• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

When to Dose Diphenhydramine for Potentiation?

Phil.McKeer

Bluelighter
As we all know, diphenhydramine (Benadryl, I'll refer to it as DPH from here on) can help potentiate the effects of opioids and benzos by adding to the sedation the drugs are already causing.

Does anyone know or can chime in with their experience when the timing of the DPH dose should be for best effects? For instance, if I want to potentiate my H, should I take my DPH dose an hour before I smoke, or after I'm high? Or if I'm taking subutex - before or after? Or Xanax, etc.

From what I've been able to gather, taking the DPH AFTER you feel the effects of the DOC causes more increase in sedation than when taken prior...but there is a ton of room for error in that from placebo effect to confimation bias to what I ate that day, ROAs, etc.

What y'all think? Before or after?

PS - I don't want to take more DPH than I need to. My primary goal is to figure out how and when best to administer it so I can meet that goal by being more pragmatic with a smaller amount.

If I want to potentiate anything, I usually take DPH with a nice glass of white grapefruit juice (potentiation involving WGFJ is debatable here) at least half an hour to 45 minutes before taking whatever. It'll be in your system but not that long enough to have the effects diminished.

If you choose to take it afterwards, you'll probably just end up feeling more of the Suboxone/Xanax rather than both that & the DPH. It's best to take any potentiators beforehand.

What IS your ROA? The DPH should be administered orally, but insuffulating the Xanax would hit you faster.

I've never used it with a benzo, but I have used it with opioids. The dose of DPH I took was 25 mg and I dosed it at the same time. I guess I would say it did potentiate the effect however it made me very drowsy so I quit using it and switched to soma, the sedation wasn't too bad with that. Struggling to stay awake is just such a buzzkill, a waste of my stuff IMO.

Depends how fast your metabolism is, mine is quick, so I dose 30 mins prior.. also I find that dxm works better

-HS

Thanks y'all. So the consensus seems to be to take the dph before dosing the opioid/benzo it seems.

Please still chime in with any knowledge you have, BL readers!

Thanks again yo.

I was curious...does it HAVE to be white or can it just be regular grapefruit juice? What would the difference be? Also, how much GFJ should one drink to potentiate Suboxone?

It has to be white and organic juice. The more you drink the more potentiation. I would aim for at least 2 cups.

It has to be white and organic juice. The more you drink the more potentiation. I would aim for at least 2 cups.
White works better than red but organic is not essential (I like organic products better but they are simply held to different growing standards). The idea is to use 100% juice with as much pulp as possible as it has the highest concentration on the enzymes needed. Fresh grapefruit also works and I find eating two did the trick for me.

For me, it's just personal preference, but I prefer to wait for the opiate to peak and then I take 50mg dph (on average. 25mg if I want less sedation and 75 if I really want to nod) to add more sedation and made me nod during the "legs". But if I really want to nod I'll take dph the same time as a morphine pill. For what it's worth, my ROA is almost always oral, insufflated and/or smoked only in the case of smack. I also don't find that dph potentiates anything other than the sedation/nod. Sometimes (especially with oxy) I feel that it kind of dampens the euphoria.