• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

When people don't pay you back...

captainballs

Bluelighter
What do you do?

There are a couple of people who have owed me money for years. I suppose I'm too soft-hearted and believe that people who look responsible, have decent jobs, and have families would have the decency to pay me back without me having to push them. I don't know what to do except ask, but all I seem to get are "stories" as I like to call them. I don't know whether they are true or false, and frankly I don't care - they are stories and not money in my hands. I only write loan contracts for people I don't trust, and these two are proof that I have at least some bad judgment when it comes to judging character.

There are people who I have come to realize borrow money w/o any real intent to pay it back. To me its worst than outright theft because they exploit friendship and trust. I haven't found a tactic to use in getting such people to pay up. For my mental health I usually write off the debt but I will never put myself out for that person ever again.

So many goddamn people owe me $. Some small amounts, some not so small.
I never lend out cash anymore unless it is to someone who has done deeds for me & has paid back in the past without me needing to harass the shit outta them.
some never intend to despite their "but im waiting till pay day - i promise!" they're just full of shit.
my advice is dont hand out money to people , even ones u trust can dog u, only small amounts if u really need to!!
i'm owed thousands and it pisses me off. but i cbf chasing them up - they'll get whats coming to them

depends if they are friends or not....

family: 99% of the time would pay u back pretty soon.

friends: if they don't pay u back, they can't be much of a friend and warn them u may break friendship with them.

complete arseholes who owe u money: if they don't pay up, fuck them up with a baseball bat or similar.
same goes with scammers and ppl who steal off u.

How much money are we talking about here? Ten bucks? Ten THOUSAND bucks?

^ I would be willing to bet it's in the hundreds.

This doesn't help your situation out now, I'm sorry, but in my experience it's best to loan money without the expectation of getting it back. I only loan money I can afford to loose. Heh I guess it's kind of like gambling except, at best, you only break even. lol.

What do you do?

There are a couple of people who have owed me money for years. I suppose I'm too soft-hearted and believe that people who look responsible, have decent jobs, and have families would have the decency to pay me back without me having to push them. I don't know what to do except ask, but all I seem to get are "stories" as I like to call them. I don't know whether they are true or false, and frankly I don't care - they are stories and not money in my hands. I only write loan contracts for people I don't trust, and these two are proof that I have at least some bad judgment when it comes to judging character.

Lean on those fuckers, lean on them like white on rice and demand they pay or else you'll start charging interest or breaking fingers.

I should hire a threatening looking man to visit all the people that owe me money
I'm owed at least 7 grand from over the years. I COULD USE THAT MONEY.
the bitches never repay people nowadays, selfish!!!!
I'm one of those people that feels bad even borrowing money, let alone not paying it back!
guess I'm too nice.

one guy owes me a lot of money and its kind of weird. when i do bug him he usually gives me a bit, but i just want him to own up and pay it back himself. lesson learned, i don't lend money any more......not that i have money anyways!

Debt is valuable.

It allows you to manipulate and exploit people, and thus gain greater purchasing power.

just visit them at work every day of the week. If its a drug debt you can whatever you want to them..... its not like they'd goto the police

If it's 100+$, they'll get badly hurt.
Always has happened, always do.
I can't dick around wit money.

"Neither a lender or a borrower be."

I don't lend money to anyone. I'll give money to close friends if they really need it and I can afford it, and have the attitude that 'what's mine is yours' with them as well.

There have only been a couple of times that I've lent money out and not had it returned in full. Once it was some guy who flaked out on a deal, and I just stopped associating with him. It wasn't enough to get upset about. The other time it was my best friend, and it was for rent money. At the time it was a 'loan', but I knew that he wouldn't be able to pay me back any time soon. A few months later I could tell that it was bugging him. It was around xmas so I made him a little card that said something to the extent of: 'I never intended to be repaid for the money I lent to you, but I'm formally forgiving your debt to me. Merry Christmas!' A good friendship isn't worth ruining over money, and if someone isn't a good friend then they don't get my money in the first place.

Both situations happened nearly 10 years ago. I don't lend money to anyone anymore. The only people close enough to me that I would be willing to do so are as/more financially secure than I am.

If you give money, dont expect it back unless you have a contract and the ability to sue them to get it back.

I have confronted people for money, and I had some close calls... not for me... but still... it just not worth it ya know? even 10k not worth it if it lands you in jail.

Money can be made back.... your life cant be.

I'm owed so much money by so many people, that I don't even know what to do. Just write it off. Getting pissed would be pointless.

I don't lend money to anyone anymore, after what happened two years ago.

It wasn't major, but it was enough to piss me the fuck off and never do it again.

A friend owed me some money for coke we had, but i paid for at the time, and she had a full time job and always had money so i never questioned her paying me back, plus when we used to share drug money I would always pay her back when i said i would, so i stupidly thought she would return the favour.

Apparently not.

So after being nice and waiting a few months for less than $100 fucking dollars, I cracked it because i wasn't able to work all of a sudden because I broke my hand, and then needed the money ASAP. So, my dad suggested I just keep msg-ing her until she got back to me. As one sms wasn't enough, she would just ignore it. So off I sent 10 + sms's in a row, to piss her the fuck off and pressure her to get it back.

It worked, and I got the money after some pathetic pity party story about how "she couldnt afford it"

Well whatever the fuck, don't care, you'd had months so pay me my money bitch.

Worked for moi. Hahaha. So after that, I don't lend money to anyone, and my friends know this so no one fucking asks. LOL. :D

My suggestion, is harass the shit out of them until they give it back to you, or if they never do, move on and don't lend money again.

Someone at work owed me £25, then he got sacked and got a new phone. It was only temp work and I knew what agency he was with, went to them and used my position at work to give a bad reference and he was subsequently blacklisted with that group of agencies

Someone at work owed me £25, then he got sacked and got a new phone. It was only temp work and I knew what agency he was with, went to them and used my position at work to give a bad reference and he was subsequently blacklisted with that group of agencies

over 25 bucks?

what a dick. :\

The only thing he knew was blagging. He owed about ten different people around £10-40.

And its GBP not USD.. not that there's much difference these days