• Guest, Welcome to FESTIVUS

When do you toss out the Christmas Tree?

augustaB

Bluelighter
Tossed yours yet? Or are you the kind that plants the darn thing in the garden?

Whenever I used to have a live tree I always had a friend take them to a lake or pond after Christmas. Fish like to bed in them. I think that is how you say it. But now I have a live tree the kids were all about putting up the tree, nobody is about helping mama take down the tree. Already putting that on the naughty list for next year.

2 plus years! Love that! Wonder if I just take the decorations off if I could get away with that. Just say I have a 7.5 tree lamp if people ask, seems legit

Mine is still lurking in the corner, but the city collects the old trees next week, so that's when its going.

2 plus years! Love that! Wonder if I just take the decorations off if I could get away with that. Just say I have a 7.5 tree lamp if people ask, seems legit

I didn't take the decorations down either. It made for a nice conversation piece when everyone was high. Well, that and I was mostly too high to want to take it down.

I have a fake tree ... it'll probably be up until March, lol. Last year, I didn't take mine down until the end of April/beginning of May, and it was only because I moved. hah.

Hey I thought this was over. Put our tree for collection on Sunday, but it's still there. Now decorated with snow. And when is this forum going to shut anyway?

Traditionally, you're supposed to take it down on the 12th day of Christmas (January 5 if you celebrate according to the Gregorian calendar).

Correct

Twelfth Night. 5th January. Officially, observation of Twelfth Night is generally lusty merrymaking. Here in the English countryside we wassail. Wassailing, a good old pagan tradition, is doorstep caroling, usually in groups, gathering more people as you go from each household as you continue, towards the orchard/s, or nowadays, the pub. In cider producing areas, especially in the South West, wassailing involves people going to orchards specifically; singing to apple trees to encourage a bumper crop and harvest for that year. Much cider and scrumpy is carried on the journey around, drunk to keep the singing throats nicely lubricated. Healthy village based community fun. A Local activity for Local people. Cheers!