• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

When burning weed what's the best tool to use? Bong, pipe, joint or vape?

xxsicknessxx

Bluelighter
I need to start using weed because vaping is to expensive. So I'm debating how to burn cannabis best.
Joints, a vape like a volcano if so what do you recommend I use that will be ready to use and give me a good comparison to vaping oil. I went to my local head shop but they only get two vapes a volcano and a handheld >prices not allowed< one and there is no returns so if I buy a vape I need a recommendation... Anyways I dunno I just want to hear what other people think because I need to switch to using cannabis but I'm worried anything I get will be to hard compared to using oil. After taxes in spending >price< a day on weed but it would be >price< if I used cannabis assuming I used the same amount I do now in thc. I figured the numbers out and I could do a oz a week or a eighth a day which is >price< or less a day compared to vape oil which is >price< a refill. I use one refill a day or one eighth a day. So it's simple I can't afford not to switch but buying a 400$ volcano worries me because no returns and it's been 16 years sense I used one and I'm not sure if it'll be good enough... Anymore because of my tolerance. Maybe I just need a clean pipe with a big bowl, and a nice grinder... So what's I'll go to the head shop today would like some ideas. I really want a good vape to buy like similar to a volcano they sell them online but I don't trust online reviews lol and like I said the head shop wasn't helpful. This is a big deal I used to buy weed and I bought these pre rolls that you just pack the weed into. But it got to be a lot of work. Again compared to thc oil which is so simple. I wish i made more money lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
Get a bong, get some rollies, maybe a pipe too see which you prefer, if none of those work for you volcanos are great. Just make sure youre getting good weed and ime it feels better than dabs pens, more terpenes. I also think its best to rotate through methods of use because for one I think joints are more likely to burn/dry out your throat while a bong is more likely to cause your lungs to clog up with all the shit that goes deep on a big ol bong hoot. Secondly, yunno, variety is the spice of life, hell, buy yourself a dab pen every once in a while too.

Maybe even some heroin one day...

jk

I always vaporise my dry herb in either a Mighty Vape or an Arizer Extreme Q/ V Tower (same thing almost)
It is scientifically proven that Vaping dry herb delivers more THC to the bloodstream when vaporized vs smoking it.
The Volunteers were given either 10mg THC or 25mg THC delivered via Smoking or Vaping.. The THC levels in blood of people who vaped 10mg were just as high as those who smoked 25mg THC and there was also people greening out , being sick or just experiencing negative effects as it was too strong for them.
Not only that you are minimising your exposure to harmful chemicals (there are still some, just not hundreds) in vapour from dry herb vaporiser vs smoking.
Its very very rare id consider smoking a joint usually if i can only get hash and nothing else, sometimes the vaping alone can be too 'heady' for some in which i recommend experimenting mixing some CBD flower with it to help to balance the high. I recommend you only use CBD in conjunction with THC when consuming , or after but never before. Using it before then ingesting THC can cause some more undesired effects i find.

Ive never tried a vaping cart id rather not lose any flavour, the first couple hits on a dry herb vape are hard to beat

i notice more flavor when filtering through water, like a bubbler or a bong. out of a dry pipe i can't tell the difference between strands.... i was going to make a thread to see if anybody else noticed this. i can't really figure out why that'd be, but it's what i notice... try them all, but i'd say water pipes are least burn on the lungs too. too many joints can get me coughing.

also careful not to take too big of a rip off a bong. start slow.

if you're gonna use a lighter, a water bong is the best in my opinion - quickest and easiest too

if you wanna go the flower vape route, which i think is the best overall for a few reasons, like @Darksidesam said, the Arizer Extreme Q is one of the best bangs for your buck - that's what i use

C5xOn6T.gif

Bong, pipe, joint, vape?
Yes, absolutely! (all of the above)

Bongs were my preference in my teens&twenties simply because they looked cool and with the water cooling effect we could take massive hits. I rarely use them any more but they are good for regulating usage one hit at a time. Kind of a bitch to clean.

I usually use a pipe and normally load 3 to 4 hits per bowlfull. It's the perfect amount for my current low level of cannabis use. I have an old-fashioned wooden Dr. Grabow pipe, no filter of course.

Every now and then I get a hankering for a good ol' joint. Joint, NOT blunt. Blunts are wasteful and the idea of mixing tobacco with weed is blasphemous in my book. I'm a heavy cigarette smoker but mixing cannabis with that noxious leaf disgusts me. (I love coffee and I love beer. That doesn't mean they should be mixed)

Being an old low-tech hippiebilly, I don't know much about vapes. Yeah, I've sampled a few and my 20- and 30-something friends love 'em. What I've tried were fine but I always trust Ma Nature over anything man-made.

edit-- I grow my own (outdoors) and I always have a surplus, so I give away more than I consume. Cost is not an issue for me.

Last edited:
If the economic option is what you seek, the tried and true one hitter is where it’s at. It can take awhile to find one that has a proper sized “bowl” as some are way too deep. I found a guy that does custom titanium ones that I love.

Reason the one hitter is the best is it limits how much you smoke on each hit. No smoke is floating off into the air never to be enjoyed by lungs again.

When I use pipes or god forbid bongs, my hits get outrageous. I used to smoke .3g hits, in one go each time. Yea you get high but at what cost?

If you’re like me, smoking just to maintain your sanity. The one hitter is perfect.

-GC

Being an old machinist, I make tiny pipes out of air fittings (they're brass, chill the pearl clutching).
Being an old gardener, I put that one hit bowl on the end of a long reed.

So, tiny pipe bowls with a long stem. Wonder if anyone's ever thought of that before?

a74d71727dc2afbae2044e3a675d188e--beatiful-people-clay-bowl.jpg

I like to smoke random plants that claims any kind of psychoactivity. Mix'em match'em and experience something nobody usually would because who is gonna smoke a piece of grass? Not me but I'll smoke a fine blend of cigarette ass and velvet bean. Maybe finger a donut hole for a while to pass the time. Catch me smokin some premium alfalfa leaf and kissing your grandmother, how about that? I want to hear about some wierd stuff you smoked and if you felt effects or not. Sound cool?
so beautiful

I think joints are your most economical way of consuming. I know I smoke about twice as much if I use a bong.

I think joints are your most economical way of consuming. I know I smoke about twice as much if I use a bong.
I've never heard anyone say that before.
I love joints (for the experience) but they're one of the most wasteful ways to smoke.
With a bong you're able to inhale all of the smoke at once.

Joints - small, very portable. Stink like heck and smell sort of attaches to you for a while. I think they are inefficient, lotta wasted smoke
Bongs - Not really portable, though you can buy cases for them. Can deliver one hell of a knock to your head. My lungs got a bit hurty after several years
vaporized weed - portable or stationary. Arizer Extreme/Q, Storm & Bickel Crafty, Mighty, Mighty + or any of the Volcanos. Cost a bit more but well worth it. I've got no use for a portable vape, so UI stick with the Volcano at home. But for out and about the Mighty (I think that's the one with the digital temperature display?)

I haven't had the Arizer Extreme Q in several years. At the time I was a 3 dog, 2 cat household and, well of the the glass bits suffered a very short lifespan. It was my mistake to put catnip in the Extreme bowl and to just let it run. I'd buy this and then spend the rest of the $ on weed.

Tom

Bongs 100% if you're smoking at home. Joints/blunts I used to smoke with my buddies but eventually it reached a point where when I smoke a joint I genuinely just feel "smoked out" like this shitty feeling in my chest, that wasn't the case in my late teens.

Bongs always got me higher because I'd just take a fat rip, I could do that with bowls too but bowls are pretty inconsistent. Sometimes they're smooth, sometimes they're horribly rough. I think IME bigger rush hole = harsher hit at least based on the ones I've smoked from.

Chilliums I found consistently more smooth and these are handy like bowls/pipes, and to finish off a joint roach in.

Then the gravity bongs, these things will get you wasted, I don't know exactly why. Used to have so much fun with those with my friends, we even made a giant 10 gallon one used in a big tupperware bin. One little piece of weed would produce so much smoke and we were able to preserve a lot as a result. I don't know if it was 10 gallons, it was just one of those massive clear bottles of water you typically see at a dentist office or something. I'm sure someone knows what I mean.

Anyway, yeah, bongs for me 100% (also can be good for finishing joint roaches). We used to put a roach in and pack weed around it and called it "roach cakes." We'd generally smoke these the day after a lot of drinking and it really hit the spot.

I mostly just hit dab pens now. My smoking was getting pretty heavy with massive bowls with a half gram loaded with kief and my lungs were really feeling it after awhile. And this "smoked out" feeling I described earlier could occur if I took too many rips. In general I eventually realized I kinda hated smoking. I loved it when I was younger (I turned 29 last month) but now I just feel kinda shitty. I'm going to switch to vaporizing flower in the future, but that's not exactly relevant to the topic.

I've never heard anyone say that before.
I love joints (for the experience) but they're one of the most wasteful ways to smoke.
With a bong you're able to inhale all of the smoke at once.
I can smoke a lot of weed. I generally smoke a whole 25% gram joint by myself after work.

I'm going to switch to vaporizing flower in the future, but that's not exactly relevant to the topic.

yea it is - it's even mentioned as one of the options in the topic title

i think it's the best option and i tried to post a link for a good economical flower vape but i got moderated for advertising or some shit like that

but i have the Arizer Extreme Q and it works great and it's not crazy expensive like the Volcano - i don't fill the bags or anything, i just hit it straight off the whip - works great still and ive had it for about 10 years now - replaced a few parts here and there but that's it - i give it 2 thumbs up

I've always really wanted to try the volcano, it looks so cool. A friend of mine does have a dry herb vape but it sucks ass. The mouth piece like, doesn't exist. You just hit it through this tiny narrow opening, the top just a square, no real traditional mouth piece. I know these can be small on others but this place you suck from is like a thin blade of grass, and you get like nothing out of it. Otherwise the only other vape I've tried was a homemade one a friend and I made in high school out of a light bulb lol. Followed all the steps to get the paint and shit off, it worked pretty well actually and we smoked the vaped weed after. Some people get high off that but I never really did, it'd be better to eat it probably.

Bongs 100% if you're smoking at home. Joints/blunts I used to smoke with my buddies but eventually it reached a point where when I smoke a joint I genuinely just feel "smoked out" like this shitty feeling in my chest, that wasn't the case in my late teens.

Bongs always got me higher because I'd just take a fat rip, I could do that with bowls too but bowls are pretty inconsistent. Sometimes they're smooth, sometimes they're horribly rough. I think IME bigger rush hole = harsher hit at least based on the ones I've smoked from.

Chilliums I found consistently more smooth and these are handy like bowls/pipes, and to finish off a joint roach in.

Then the gravity bongs, these things will get you wasted, I don't know exactly why. Used to have so much fun with those with my friends, we even made a giant 10 gallon one used in a big tupperware bin. One little piece of weed would produce so much smoke and we were able to preserve a lot as a result. I don't know if it was 10 gallons, it was just one of those massive clear bottles of water you typically see at a dentist office or something. I'm sure someone knows what I mean.

Anyway, yeah, bongs for me 100% (also can be good for finishing joint roaches). We used to put a roach in and pack weed around it and called it "roach cakes." We'd generally smoke these the day after a lot of drinking and it really hit the spot.

I mostly just hit dab pens now. My smoking was getting pretty heavy with massive bowls with a half gram loaded with kief and my lungs were really feeling it after awhile. And this "smoked out" feeling I described earlier could occur if I took too many rips. In general I eventually realized I kinda hated smoking. I loved it when I was younger (I turned 29 last month) but now I just feel kinda shitty. I'm going to switch to vaporizing flower in the future, but that's not exactly relevant to the topic.
One hit pipes for me now, but for years it was bongs. There was some poster or sumpin' once about "traditional bong etiquette" where it showed each person taking three one hitters from the bong before passing it to the next victim. All smoke not clearing the bong and/or coughing a hit out too soon was also a faux pas.

Leisurely passing the bong and tray around in a circle of a few friends was a nice pastime. Taken slowly and with a bigger circle, you would be ready for more once it got back to you. Thus, the ritual of smoking could be extended for quite some time.

However, even though all smoke got into lungs instead of the air, it would churn through pot like crazy for some reason. :)

if you're talking efficiency a spoon or small bowl cause after you take a hit you can put the bowl out with your thumb. no waste with it sitting and burning like a joint. if your talking best potency or smoothness. this may sound weird . for me it depends on the strain. some smoke great rolled in a joint but is hacky in a bowl and the other way around. i noticed some smoke better using a torch lighter with a bowl or a bong than using a bic lighter.