• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

What's Your Smoking Pattern?

iksaxophone

Bluelighter
I'm curious to know what sort of pattern everyone tokes in. I personally started by getting really high as fast as I could and then riding the high out.
Moving out of my parents' and buying a vaporizer then contributed to a habit of spreading my tokes out. So lately I've been taking a puff every 5-10 minutes for about two hours, which I have found less than satisfactory. I don't reach a state which is quite as altered, and also after a time something in my brain just wears out and it's like I'm not high anymore, just fucked.
I tried my old pattern last night using a gravity bong. It hurt my lungs but it was way more fun.
What do you guys do and why?

I like to pack up a fat bowl and toke it over about 15-30 minutes while I listen to some music, when I have bud. With wax I just take two or three fat rips and I'm good for two hours. Less satisfying because of less ritual, but much more intense.

Well, I wake up at 1am for work. Get dressed, hit a bowl, get to work by 1:30am-1:40am. Load trucks for 6-8hrs, come home around 9am. Eat, shower, smoke a bowl. From then on I'll smoke whenever I feel, and probably pop a milligram or two of alprazolam along the way.... but I normally go through .75g-1.25g a day, with the only GUARANTEED bowlpacks being right before work, right after work, and right before bed between 6pm-8pm. Between those, the rest of the day is randomly filled with smoking along with whatever other bullshit I happen to get into, which tends to be other people calling to see if I want to smoke. So....

idk, I smoke more than I should and yet, I still seem to limit myself. If I let myself go crazy I'd just roll blunt after blunt after blunt and go through my monthly ounce in a week or less, so.....

k, lemme stop with the addict-speak.

If I'm working, I only smoke after I get home. Then, ~0.1g bong rip 5-6 times in the evening.

Weekends? About 0.1g once an hour, perhaps backed up by edibles in the evening

Holidays? When I'm not sleeping.

If I smoke before taking my bp meds, I'm good. If I forget to smoke and take my bp meds before smoking I usually puke.

Basically on the weekends I stay as high as possible so I can eat.

Tom

Salutations,

...buying a vaporizer... ... I don't reach a state which is quite as altered, and also after a time something in my brain just wears out and it's like I'm not high anymore...

Less satisfying because of less ritual...

If i were on that hyperbolic collision/crash course trajectory as explained by the OP then this is what i'd pick as a consumption tool below, the version on the right side especially...

3vg2a.jpg

But i happen to connect with the second statement a great deal, i might even add i wish i lived in a civilized country (as Switzerland) where a 1 % limitation on THC translates into High-CBD/Low-THC products which are at least as legal as tobacco, or tomatoes!...

%)

You see there's the buzz, there's T-Breaks eventually and then there's the consumption method turned into a hobby, or more exactly re-focussed on aroma/taste perception - which has given me access to resources i value enough to place in the balance with THC. When i care to remind myself of all those years, lost in vain to serve no better purpose than some obscure bigot anti-cannabic prohibitionist plot, i would argue! Euh... Etc., etc. My usual diatribe. ;) M'well, i mean decades of toxic combustion burning paper + glue + vegetal substrate combined with a genuine authentic physical addiction to nicotine, as i also used to smoke tobacco as well (my ritual as a hashish smoker included fine blends of bond tobacco for the structure), euh... If i could give an advise to my own self back in those days i'd insist i don't need all this agravation: simply vaporizing trichomes works fine enough with plenty of margin, no need for the extra stuff which comes with a waste of money - not to mention i don't like it much to ride a coller-coaster that leads to what i call an "unresolved obcession" anyway. I made a joking comment comparing cannabis prohibition to masturbation prohibition lately, to me it seems like cannabis consumption is more or less the equivalent of ejaculation if we must reason like zombie zealots thriving on a man-made "sin" industry, etc... So, how many times a day would be the ideal frequency? 3 ~ 4 times a day?... I'm asking about cannabis consumption, of course.

How can there be light without darkness?...

So, if the habit must translate in only 3 ~ 4 climax peeks a day and a single session lasts 15 ~ 30 minutes then don't feel deceived when you realize there so much more to do in between the key events! That would be the ritual as far as i'm concerned, because a toke can't last forever and considering 1 g will generated 6 ~ 8 bowls providing 6 ~ 8 tokes each (36 ~ 64 tokes a day knowing i only need no more than a few every 3 ~ 4 hours, ideally), euh... that is incentive enough to want to explore all those aspects of consumption that i missed before, because there was only the buzz on my radar...

If only i could travel back in time i'd never start smoking in the 1st place, then it's clear to me today what the path would be and it doesn't aim for the buzz as a priority criteria. I'd want to appreciate why some strains have such nice names as "Bubble Yum", "Cheese", etc., etc. And in a world where "legaleezation" is replace with "normalization" i'd want to grow all of these wonders myself in a garden outdoors, cultivating widely spread exotic High-CBD plants, etc. The enlightment alone would be such that i'd spontaneously forget my pipe on a table after just a couple tokes and i wouldn't even notice, only the beauty and serenity!

Now with music and a fairly satisfying ritual that should work wonders trying to reach hights, until abuse kicks back - it's so easy to have appetite when the quality is right!...

In any case i've stopped falling for my former sins a while ago, i found nothing worth keeping in excess. The most precious things of life also happen to be rare and delicate.

Good day, have fun!! =D

For the record, Egzoset, by 'getting really high really fast' I didn't mean tranquilizing myself with THC nor anything hyperbolic like that...just that I find one larger dose (and no redosing all day) better than many small doses (thereby creating a long lasting buzz). That certainly looks like an interesting device though. What is it called?

Egzo's got a ton of sweet ideas-- I just get confused as fuck talking to him most of the time.

He had a really interesting experimental vape thread a while back... might be worth a read if you can find it.

Hi again!

...I find one larger dose (and no redosing all day) better than many small doses...

Oh, then i understand from this that micro-dosage ain't on the menu. Perhaps in different circumstances eventually.

...looks like an interesting device though. What is it called?

It's my customized VaporGenie pipe, that thread was/is meant to invite the reader to emulate/replicate any experiment one might chose, in order to "open a window" on alternative perspectives... Personally i dream of a "Plan-A" based on electromagnetic Induction Heat for many reasons, though "Plan-B" is for real nonetheless, as it supports the exploration of Micro-Bursting in effective reality, which leads to a sense of Micro-Dosage... With a view on the ultimate form of detachment (freedom) at the key: the split-second i'm done inhaling there's my bowl that starts cooling off, which promotes "conservation" after a while.

IMO these easy experiments led me to conclude the "harm" of cannabis (if any) comes from external factors, mostly, like improper consumption methods which i now believe to shape/influence a person's long-term consumption profile. For example, the venerable Volcano (or HerbalAire, Arizer Tower) will require about 3 minutes to fill a bag and hence this implies the user makes a significant "investment" (in the sense of involvement) in this apprehensive delay, with his world wrapping around a machine for multiple minutes many times a day. My intuition tells me that daily repetition of such patterns should be expected to have some cumulative (reinforcement) effect at least on the amount of cannabis consumed each day; lets consider the Volcano bowl is large and once its extraction job is complete there's no way one shall want to take only a sip just to discard the rest of a bag that's about to go "stale"...

Seen from my own perspective then an operator's attention gets re-focused by the (potentially near-anxiogenic?) necessities of an intimidating vaporization setup while one could have prefered to "invest" in a somewhat more "organic" ritual instead. Something a bit less mineral/inorganic, less mechanical, hopefully more relaxing if given the option...

ivfmgx.jpg

Then there's a simple limitation for some guy like me: personally i can't stand the "electric dryness" of those balloons. And yet i Sip 'n Toke already!... M'well, much less than i used to since i've practically finised tweaking, to be exact. That should mean if i can use the pipe then chances are most other people can too - but this remains to be tested.

To me using the pipe is like playing music (self-entertainment) while a conventional vaporizer is like cooking (work). In one case i'm in connection with my own body: i become the center of my universe. In the other my universe starts to depend on something from outside that must be monitored, etc. So, naturally the ritual and experience are significantly different i would argue.

He had a really interesting experimental vape thread a while back... might be worth a read if you can find it.

Thank you! Well it depends, if the user wants it thick and quick he just needs to rewind to a few months back in time when i was still dealing with the "pepper" and "punch-in-the-face" effects - which felt gross enough in a context of social acceptability for me to want to tweak it further until i was satisfied my configuration corresponded more appropriately to what i had in mind as a weapon of massive seduction... The thread simply illustrates how to implement the fig. 11/12 feature of this manufacturer's registered patent, no big deal there, but the moment of inspiration was when i realized that "Bi-Energy" support could be made a reality simply by adopting/substituting a different metallurgical recipe for the metal castings... That is coherent with my desire to respect VG's original design, trying to stick to their known product lines as much as convenient for my own purpose - which was to open the door to electro-magnetic induction heating, then this gives access to "packetized" power injection (Curie effect + Mass shall limit maximum temperature then the conversion chain limits heat in a bowl, with analog continuous adjustment available ultimately)... Etc., etc.

In the meatime there's "Plan-B" (where "B" stands for butane), on which i rely routinely. In that mode the tool has gained many significant improvements from where i stand (i couldn't operate it as sold). Clean-burning of butane gas generates a super hot stream of H2O + CO2 gases which i came to conclude it could "potentialize" the Release/Transport Agent (Hot Dry Air in most of the conventional vaporizers). That function is essential as that's the difference for me between enjoyment and abstinence... But then there's the purists who will complain about the butane can's "impurities" (comet dust, i call it), so on top of being able to rely on a butane lighter (in case of an electrical failure, dead bateries and whatnot), euh... well this concept also suggests the means to inject power into a duo of Near-Symetrical Hybridized Cores via an IH driver (DeLuxe scenario), instead of a blue flame - which by the way ain't what's recommended for the genuine VG pipe (it works on yellow flames instead). Hence that translates as cleaner butane burning thanks to the blue flame but if that's still not sufficient to please a purist then there's the option to switch to Induction, but that's based on Hot Dry Air only so that requires the moisture (compatible with my Lava concept) to be generated in an auxiliary oven, boiler/evaporator, etc., etc.

Using it is not this complex anyway, it's much like a musical instrument: YMMV, according to skills... Butane use in "Plan-B" is optimized comparatively to the original product after all; as it is i've been able to slow down fuel consumption in my lighter thanks to the alternate consumption method, while the VaporGenie ritual was quite different and not as inclusive as i'd have needed. Hence the customization...

Good day, have fun!! =D

I start blazing and everything is awesome, I get all the medical and recreational effects that I love. Over a period of months, I gradually develop a compulsive habit until I am spending thousands of dollars on weed. Then, I quit cold turkey. Something like 3 years later I'll take a puff off of a joint and the same thing will happen. I don't really get withdrawals except for mild things like insomnia, unreasonable anger, appetite suppression for a while. I'm always really happy to quit and be sober again.

I love being stoned but it's just impossible for me to regulate in any way at all. If I tell myself to smoke a bong rip every 8 hours it's simply not going to happen for any extended period of time. Whenever something stressful comes along the chain smoking starts, I develop a tolerance so high that I can take 10 dabs in a row and not feel a single thing. So I always end up quitting cold turkey and never looking back for a long, long time.

Not sure if I'll ever go back this time. The hash was really chill at first this year, but it got me absolutely nowhere and I blew thousands of dollars on something that is worth about the value of a tomato. I felt like it was helping me with opioid withdrawals, but it's not. 11 months later my addiction has only gotten worse. That's something that I have to beat on my own and no silly plant will help me out with that. Tis the reason I started up again though, when I know this shit always happens with weed. Was desperate for relief. The positive effects with weed are lost faster than any other medication I have ever used in my life, and the effects drastically change to become negative, paranoid, and deluding. It's extremely habit forming, I would say it is tougher to stop than cigarettes for the right type of person. I wish I never smoked it to be honest and I won't be going back after I wound up smoking a quarter ounce of concentrates each week by the end of this year. To me that's just crackhead status... I don't care what drug it is.

It's good to know that that possibility exists...I definitely get a bit fiendish sometimes so I should watch out for that.
Good luck with the opioids!

Thank you very much for reading my experience, and also for being non-judgmental. I have nothing against stoners, how could I, I've been one most of my entire teenaged and adult life and it really hasn't harmed me. Used to grow just so I could smoke pounds of sativas that I liked, like Kali Mist, wouldn't sell a fuckin gram, all for me and I'd still have to buy sometimes. I consider myself an expert on the topic as I was a grower and you just learn so much about the plant from working with it and encouraging it to flourish on a daily basis. Growing pot is more addictive than smokin the stuff : p

I had to quit because I started fiending too much in withdrawal. At first, hash was amazing again - like the high school days even. I was having laugh attacks for days. I'd like to point out that it isn't a real addiction - more compulsive, habit-forming behaviour which cannabis seems to have such a proclivity for. Mainly because it's just far more mellow and fun than being sober, at least at first.

I'd smoke a bong rip of BC chronic and be fiending one 15 minutes later. Couldn't go more than 4 to 8 hours without it without feeling REALLY on the edge. Sure, I can't eat or sleep well without weed for 2 weeks but that just isn't a real addiction in my mind. With a real addiction you are fighting for your life each and every day and a relapse might mean death. With cannabis, it's more the possibility of ending up with something that's just a shitty habit, like cigarettes but less unhealthy, that you were not really expecting from something as benign as well. (but if you smoke enough of the stuff lol...) - and actually, I believe cannabis would be more similar to a heavy coffee habit than cigarettes as those are just fucking horrible for you, and weed just isn't bad for your body at all. I just meant that it's analogous in the sense that I also see people fiending cigarettes for no apparent reason and spending thousands of dollars on them each year as well.

I am going to kick oxy's ass and I already have been for two months apart from a couple of relapses where I sniffed ungodly amounts of dilaudid but this weed will have nothing whatsoever to do with my battle. I am at war with myself and cannabis can't help that. I'll smoke weed again if I ever get myself clean. I'll probably need it then to keep myself calm. I started up for withdrawal symptoms and it helped keep me calm at first, but ended up being a trigger for extreme anger outbursts. It isn't good if you have trouble regulating your emotions as you will have even more trouble controlling them without it. (I have borderline personality disorder so I really shouldn't be smoking weed in the first place... I just really love to get high and giggle and relax and have trippy thoughts, and I only use drugs that don't cause brain damage).

I still love getting stoned, I just wish I could exercise self control. I have little trouble popping oxy's every 12 hours at a specific dose while I've been tapering for months having extras around so why the fuck can't I do that with cannabis. I'll just smoke it all day, there isn't any stopping it. I have to quit cold turkey every time, no matter how much I am blazing. I quit for 3 years and even still. As soon as I start to fiend and have cravings, it's totally not worth it anymore. It's not fun anymore when you have to fiend it : (

But the day I first smoked weed after that 3 year break, was the day I decided to commit myself to quit using heroin. And I did it. I actually even tapered off the stuff, since weed had made me realize how miserable a thing it is. I can't hate on it at all because I might be dead if I didn't have it for my heroin withdrawal. Now I've been getting off oxy's for two months, switched to oral use only and I am tapering in a harsh and fast method, and weed isn't really helping anymore because the battle has turned into a downright WAR. I just hate all the thousands of dollars I could have spent on better things than hash oil.

Last edited:
Shroomy, your story is awesome. Thanks for the blunt honesty it's refreshing. Many of us have the fiend side and the struggle is always the same in the end, we win because we choose to.

My pattern is edible only now and I use 50mg morning 30mg lunch and 150mg evening dose while working and about 100mg X 3 on off days. I'm unsure what my recreational amount is, having a small to medium size dose seems to push back my desire or need to be recreational. My 150mg evenings do occasionally have a sneaky high feeling if I look for it but generally it seems to be a near perfect dose.

Last edited:
I always found a bong rip every 4 hours to be perfect. If I smoke too much, I literally feel NO effect at all from weed and become kind of burnt out. If I smoke too little, I can get really anxious and other side effects. If I'm smoking weed, it's always in a habitual pattern of use. The problem arises when I cannot wait 4 hours for my next hit. When I want it 15 minutes later. Grrrrrrr always fuckin happens even though I know better.

Thanks! : ) Yeah man I def got the fiend side going on, and cannabis is just a safe and easy outlet for it. but other problems too. I still love weed, I'm sure I'll smoke it again in the future. Probably in my 30's though. That is not the whole story at all. Extreme chronic pain is what led me to opioid addiction. I was drinking beer all day every day and smoking bong for two years straight before I got on heroin and quit drinking immediately forever. So it probably saved my life actually in some sadistic way.

I have chosen to never give another cent to these mother fucking pharmaceutical companies. That is my primary motive. The heroin lords, pharmaceutical companies, doctors, pharmacists, politicians, mules... everyone works together on this fucking money hustle taking advantage of desperate people in pain. I will no longer be any part of it. I will die before they get another penny out of me.

Last edited:
I like to pack up a fat bowl and toke it over about 15-30 minutes while I listen to some music, when I have bud. With wax I just take two or three fat rips and I'm good for two hours. Less satisfying because of less ritual, but much more intense.

Same for me, two or three dab hits and I'm glued to my sofa for the next two hours... it'a fun to finish the dabs off with a fat bowl when I have some bud, I usually go with Sativas since the wax takes care of the body high for me

i tend to smoke on the weekends for the most part but sometimes on mondays and thursdays ;).

i usually start the session w friends and we roll smokes until we're baked. it could take several depending on how many of us there are.

on solo sessions i prefer bong hits w tobacco underneath. i usually need just below half a gram to be blazed personally.